5.0 out of 5 stars Siege of Leningrad
I have just finished this book with the tears pouring down my face. It is expertly written and the 448 pages just shot by. In fact I can't think of any criticism for this book at all, definitely worth more than 5 stars.

Published on 19 May 2011 by DubaiReader

3.0 out of 5 stars Some of it was great, some not so much
Published 2 months ago by Finnea C.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Siege of Leningrad, 19 May 2011
DubaiReader "MaryAnne" (Rowlands Castle, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Winter Garden (Paperback)

The author is known for her sensitive coverage of women's issues, but when combined with the struggle and deprivations of war torn Leningrad, she has really excelled herself. This has to be my best read so far this year.

The novel introduces the siege of Leningrad gradually; initially we meet two sisters, Meredith and Nina, their fun loving and exuberant father and their quiet, reclusive mother, Anya. The only time Anya opens up is when she recounts a fairy story of a young peasant girl, a handsome prince, with whom she falle in love, and the black carriage drawn by dragons and manned by the Black Knight and his goblins and trolls. She spends a lot of time just sitting in her freezing winter garden and seems always to be pushing her daughters away from herself. While their father tries to compensate, the girls still mourn their mother's love.
As the fairy story starts to take on a life of its own, it becomes less and less fiction, and more a tale of terror and opression.

I will say no more - you really HAVE to read this book. Part relationships, part historical fiction, it had me gripped from the first page. Don't let this one pass you by!

5.0 out of 5 stars they made the book a terrific, if heartbreakingly sad read, 7 Jan. 2015
This review is from: Winter Garden (Kindle Edition)
It started off a bit slowly and there was obviously some sort of puzzle as to why Nina and Merediths mother was so cold towards them but it was hard to work out why. Unravelling this puzzle was the centre of the story and because the details, whilst fiction, mirror the horrific deprivation suffered by the citizens of Leningrad during the war, they made the book a terrific, if heartbreakingly sad read. Will definitely read more by this author

5.0 out of 5 stars A Turning the Pages Review, 13 Feb. 2012
This review is from: Winter Garden (Paperback)
You may also read my review here: [...]

Resisting the urge to skip ahead so I could find out what happens was a serious problem with this novel. Even though there are a number of stories told in this novel; Meredith's struggles with her marriage, Nina's struggles with love and family, Anya's struggles with her past, and Veronika's story in Russia, everything flows so smoothly.

What starts out as a story of three struggling women turns into a beautiful story... one that literally brough tears to my eyes. I found that this book allowed me to laugh, cry, yell and hurt and a book that does that is a very powerful book.

Overall, this book needs to be read... it deserves a place on anyone's bookshelf! Well done Kristin Hannah, I will be reading many more of your books in the future!

5.0 out of 5 stars It gave me a lot to think about whilst my heart was breaking., 3 April 2010
Lizzinor Bennwood "Kiki" (Currently residing in Illinois, USA (Formerly of Wallasey, England)) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Winter Garden (Hardcover)
I have read most of Kristin Hannah's books, so it was natural and easy choice for me to pick this up at my local library. Since it was a 'hot read' not only did I have a week to read it, but i was also heading out of the country within that week, so i had to get the book read fast. It was easily done. The story does take it's time building to a climax, but once it reaches it you are hanging on in there with the characters as the story within the story develops. I cried through most of the later part of the book, my husband was a little disturbed that the book was making me so unhappy, but like i told him, just because somethings are hard to read about doesn't mean we walk away from it, especially when it is based on historical acts. I am shamed to say that my overall knowledge on Russia is poor (ashamed because i am a history nerd) and after reading this book i am intrigued and wish to expand my learning. Kristin Hannah does a wonderful job of weaving fiction with factual aspects. I do not want to go too much into what the book is about, as I feel it may ruin the experience for someone else. This is a good book to curl up with although you may want to get some hankies ready for when Anya tells the girls 'her fairytale/story' and they travel to Alaska together.
This is one that i will definitely be adding to my personal library.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 1 Mar. 2014
Jude Faulkner - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
One of the best books I've read in quite a while. It shows the devastation wars can bring to families, with fallout still happening decades after they end. A cold mother to two grown up daughters, Anya is in her late 70's early 80's before widowhood forces her children to push her into trying to become closer to them. The tale she tells them unravels via the only way she can admit to her past, in a fairytale told in small sections each evening in the dark. Also a telling document into just what happened to 'evacuated' Russian children in 1941. Some of the issues raised have made me look at the battle of Leningrad and Stalin's rule in further detail.

5.0 out of 5 stars Winter Garden, 2 Jan. 2015
This review is from: Winter Garden (Kindle Edition)
What a poignant, beautifully written novel that had me weeping, and I couldn't pick up a book for a week for thinking about the story. This book so reminded me of Alyson Richman and The Lost Wife, which I think is a compliment to Kristen.
This is the first book I have read of hers, even though I have bought all her other books. I will definitely be reading more now. I can't wait for her next novel.
This is a love story spanned over 65 years, set in Leningrad and Alaska, I don't want to say more for fear of spoiling the story, I can't recommend it highly enough, if I could give more than 5 stars then i would.

3.0 out of 5 stars Some of it was great, some not so much, 18 Jan. 2015
This review is from: Winter Garden (Kindle Edition)
Some of it was great, some not so much. I was definitely emotionally affected by part of the story, so the author obviously did something right. However, a lot of it was repetitive and, in my opinion, unnecessary. I also found some of it unbelievable. Overall, I enjoyed it though and it's certainly much better than the average 'chick-lit' out there- most of which I can't actually read in its entirety, but often read little snippets to get an idea of the writing involved. A lot of that stuff just makes me cringe, but this, did not.

5.0 out of 5 stars A remarkable and rare talent..., 4 Dec. 2014
This review is from: Winter Garden (Paperback)
The way this writer conveys pain, suffering and despair is second to none. I agree with other reviewers that it's like a 2 books in one, the second part being much better than the first. The first half is ok but the second half shows a remarkable and rare talent. I would love to see more books from Kristin, more in the vein of the second half. It touches the human soul and stirs the emotions without being over sentimental and patronising. She paints a really vivid picture and you feel you're living through it with the characters.

5.0 out of 5 stars most moving book I have ever read, 14 Jun. 2013
I have been a huge fan of Kristin Hannah since I read Firefly Lane.This book,however,surpasses anyone I have EVER read.Beautifully told it is a story,within a story,about the Siege of Lenningrad and the terrible hardships suffered by those that were " marooned" in the City.I must admit I did not know much about the subject before
Worth at least 7 stars - you must read it!

3.0 out of 5 stars Three Stars, 2 Oct. 2014
This review is from: Winter Garden (Paperback)
bit drab. long winded. took a while to get interested. I prefer firefly lane that was excellent

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Winter Garden
Winter Garden by Kristin Hannah (Paperback - 4 Jan. 2011)
Used & New from: £0.01