Format: Hardcover|Change

on 5 December 2011
The 112 techniques in this book are very different and some do not seem to be 'meditations' at all, until you read Osho's fantastic descriptions about why they work when trying to find your true inner self. He touches on all aspects of life and a lot of what he says makes perfect sense, and writes in a simple style that is very easy to follow. Often passages can be repetitive but unlike say most of the teachings by Buddha, this is done in a more conversational style that does not irritate.

It is worth noting that Osho is not affiliated with any particular religion and in fact often states why religion is not the answer and actually detrimental to man's ability to move forward and evolve spiritually. He will often compare meditations and teachings to writings and teachings in other religions, but only to illustrate what he sees as universal truths at the base of many of the worlds religions, which are twisted by the current day priests and guru's preaching doctrine.

I have to point out that I am only about half way through the book (It is a large tome!) and enjoy dipping in and out of it. Just reading the words helps me to remember those feelings of centred-ness from previous meditation sessions, without the need to actually meditate... and this is one of OSHO's central tenets - that it is easy, that no effort should be involved, it is effortless!

If you are fed-up with religion, and want to feel more spiritual; or even if you are atheist and would like to feel more blissful in life - then have a read of this. You don't have to believe in a God or divine nature or even anything outside of 'it's chemicals reacting in the brain', these techniques will help you achieve a happier state of being - which should be the goal for anyone.

A quick note on Osho: Osho as a person makes some rather bizarre claims (such as the number of books he has read), and also has a fairly lavish lifestyle - so it is easy to be turned off the man as a fake guru interested in money and power (though this really does seem not to be the case). However if you ignore the apparent 'cult' side of Osho and just read this book for what it is - techniques of meditation - then you will find it extremely valuable.
I love Shiva Sutras and have different books related to Shiva Sutras, including Vijnanabhairava or Divine Consciousness, even a set of videos by Nityananda (I like to call him "young Nityananda" to differentiate from the more famous one who has left the body). Each sutra is only a line or two long and it contains a technique one can apply to ultimately experience Self-realization. There are all together 112 sutras - as it is said - all paths lead to God or God-realization - each of these 112 sutras is a technique that may be suitable to a particular individual at a particular point in time. Some people may feel comfortable observing the breath, some may feel more comfortable "loving God with all their hearts, minds, bodies and souls" - regardless of the form they give to the ultimate, or whether they are ready to let go of any forms and contemplate that which is formless, some may be musically oriented and may use music and pauses between sounds to dive into the experience of the Self, and so on. When you use a technique that is appropriate for you, you are bound to experience some noticeable changes within a few short time, often instantly. When you are using a technique which you've been practicing for months or years and nothing is happening, then perhaps that is not the best method for you.

In this Book of Secrets, Osho gives interpretation of each of the sutras through many interesting stories and metaphors. The sutras in themselves are priceless for the spiritual aspirant and I consider, and the interpretations in this book help to bring them closer home. You can meditate upon the sutra, you can apply it, and if your mind is full of preconceived ideas you may or may not appreciate some of the interpretations - and you don't have to accept or reject them, but simply take them as a starting point to trigger the knowledge that already resides deep within you. Ultimately, the true knowledge is not accessed by reading any books, but by diving deep within yourself - however books may help to inspire you and stir you in the right direction.
on 11 May 2011
All I can say is read the book, for me Osho has all the answers to all the questions I`ve ever had about life ... I do not agree with him 100% but 98%... he can explain in such a simple way anything you ever wanted to know...Thank you.
on 29 September 2014
This is a MUST-READ. Thick as a dictionary, dense and detailed as it is, but it's a MUST-READ. If one has to pick up one book only on meditation techniques, this is the one to get.
on 28 December 2012
As a Zen practitioner for the past 30 years, I found this to be a very inspiring book and would recommend it to anybody who is starting out in meditation or has been doing it for a long time. There is always growth and always something to learn.
on 10 April 2013
I bought this edition of Osho's Book Of Secrets for a very dear friend, for his 30th birthday.
I could not imagine giving anyone a better gift.
I have had my own copy a good few years now ( the original edition ) and it is a book which helped transform my life.
This particular edition comes with a lovely DVD.
Osho is an amazing soul.
I say " is " because I believe his energy is still very much with us.
There are techniques for everyone in his 112 meditations.
I make a point of reading it most days as it is a superb, substantial, reference book to help keep us attuned to reality in this hectic modern world.
on 28 April 2013
Amazing book.... Heavy but an interesting and deepfull book, and a really good inspiration..... I can recommended this book .
on 25 December 2014
Very good book, worth the money and full of good informations.
on 26 February 2016
One of the best and deepest books I have read so far, full of wisdom, knowledge and secrets going to inner self. I love it, love it, love it. I'm going to read it again soon. I love Osho and all his books but this book is one of his best.
on 28 March 2016
Not for me to be honest. Very long winded exegsis of existing tantric text. I simply didn't have time to read it all and when I did it was rambling... I am sure its very good for fans of Osho but as a first read not my best choice...