5.0 out of 5 stars Cinderella with a spin
Published on 8 Jan. 2012 by SJH @ A Dream of Books

3.0 out of 5 stars "Cinder" by Marissa Meyer
Well. I feel sort of underwhelmed. This book seems to be quite popular and has been recommended to me numerous times. I guess I just expected more. Not to say that this a bad book, but I feel sort of meh about it.

Published 13 months ago by Linda

5.0 out of 5 stars Cinderella with a spin, 8 Jan. 2012
Marissa Meyer delivers a knockout with her story about Cinderella as you've never seen her before. 'Cinder' is a futuristic take on a traditional fairytale which is both inventive and truly original. I was incredibly excited about this book prior to publication even though I wasn't really sure what to expect from it. I started it one evening planning to read just a couple of chapters but ended up becoming so immersed in the story that I stayed up half the night reading. This is only Meyer's debut novel but it's ingenious and imaginative and an astounding and fascinating book that I ended up loving.

It's the first book in the Lunar Chronicles quartet which will be followed by other fairytale inspired tales including 'Scarlet' (Red Riding Hood), 'Cress' (Rapunzel) and 'Winter' (Snow White and the Seven Dwarves). I think I would have cried if I hadn't known that there was more to come!

'Cinder' is set in New Beijing where cyborgs and androids live among the human citizens. I thought the mixing of an old and well known fairytale with a futuristic backdrop was brilliant and so clever. Cinder herself is not your normal heroine, she's half human and half cyborg and is 'owned' by her step-mother Adri. Cinder is also a gifted mechanic and it's this occupation which leads to her meeting the handsome Prince Kai who is ignorant of what she really is. I enjoyed seeing the friendship between Kai and Cinder blossom and although Cinder keeps the fact that she's a cyborg secret from him, they share a number of intimate moments which leads to a level of trust and mutual respect to grow between them. I also liked the fact that the Prince isn't a snob and wants to get to know Cinder even though she isn't of the same standing as him. One obstacle in their path is the sinister Queen Levana of Lunar who sent shivers down my spine and literally drips evil off the page.

Meyer has assembled an engrossing and imaginative cast of characters, my favourite whom was Cinder herself. She's incredibly gifted and immensely loyal to the people she loves and cares about, including her android friend Iko and her step-sister Peony. She can be unconventional at times, stubborn and headstrong but I adored her and was rooting for her throughout. She often doesn't care about her own well being, as long as she can protect her friends and family.

One of the plot lines in the book involves the search for an antidote to Letumosis, a plague like disease which is rampant in the city and deadly to anyone who contracts it. This was really interesting and brings Cinder into contact with Dr Erland who holds the key to a number of secrets about her past as well as to her future happiness.

Many of the hallmark features of the Cinderella fairytale were here but always with a slightly quirky spin on them. For example, instead of a glass slipper there's a cyborg foot and instead of a pumpkin there's a hover car. There's also an evil stepmother and a wicked stepsister, plus a handsome Prince and a huge ball.

Although I did guess the big reveal quite early on in the book, it was still shocking when it eventually came and has set the stage brilliantly for the second book in this amazing series. I'm eager to get my hands on the follow-up and I only hope we won't be kept in suspense for too long.

4.0 out of 5 stars Cyborg Cinderella, 5 Jan. 2012
EA Solinas "ea_solinas" (MD USA) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
I love fairy tale adaptations, whether they're just fleshing out the original story (Robin McKinley's "Beauty") or spinning the bare concept off in a totally different direction (the anime "Pretear").

And Marissa Meyer's "Cinder" is actually quite clever in its dystopian/futuristic-steampunk reimagining of the famed Cinderella story. While it cleaves to the basic storyline of the fairy tale, Meyer weaves in a conspiracy, a brewing war, a plague and a secret identity into the story. In short, she allows the story to stand on its own two feet... or rather, one foot of its own and one robot foot.

In the futuristic city of New Beijing, Cinder is a cyborg -- a second class citizen who toils away as a mechanic for her cruel stepmother Adri. Her only friends are her kind stepsister Peony and her quirky robot Iko.

Then one day, crown prince Kai secretly hires her to repair an old robot for him, even as New Beijing prepares for the arrival of the cruel, powerful Lunar queen Levana (who wants to conquer Earth, possibly by marrying Kai). But Cinder's whole life is thrown upside down when Peony contracts letumosis -- a deadly plague with no cure -- and an enraged Adri sells Cinder for medical testing.

The twist: Cinder is immune to the plague. The eccentric Dr. Erland takes an interest in her, even as Peony's condition worsens and Kai desperately searches for a way to avoid marrying Levana. But as Cinder struggles to stop the plague and save the man she's falling in love with, she begins to learn more about her own mysterious past -- and why she might be the only hope for Earth.

"Cinder" is a brilliant example of how an author can take a well-worn fairy tale and breathe new life into it. It's a pretty decent retelling in its own right -- complete with sci-fi versions of the fairy godmother, glass slipper and evil stepmother. But it also stands on its own as a solid science-fiction story with unique subplots, characters and backstory. THAT is a truly good retelling.

Meyer has a strong, smooth writing style, splattered with grease, disease and squalor as well as white silk, silver and gleaming laboratories. She neatly twines together several subplots (Levana's schemes, Kai's search for the lost Lunar princess, the damaged robot, Peony's deathly illness), although I was left wondering what was going on with the crying Lunar girl. Perhaps that will be answered in the next book.

What was the book's biggest problem? Probably the huge TO BE CONTINUED ending, and the fact that it's pretty easy to figure out Cinder's true identity. It could have used a teeny bit more mystery.

But the strongest part of the story is our Cinderella herself. Cinder is a strong, selfless heroine who has a genuinely horrible life -- everyone looks down on her because of her cyborg parts, and she struggles with telling Prince Kai about her true nature for fear that he will be repulsed by her. At the same time, she's also struggling with the discoveries about her own past.

Kai is also an excellent character, and quite different from your usual fairy tale prince -- he's trapped in a no-win scenario that may enslave the Earth no matter what he does. And the cast is nicely rounded out by the malevolent, vain Levana, the adorably quirky Iko, and the mysterious Dr. Erland (who is far more than he appears).

Marissa Meyer does not disappoint in "Cinder," the first of a series that seems to be made up of dystopian/sci-fi fairy tale adaptations. And even if the ending is a bit abrupt, it definitely leaves you craving more.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Cinderella Twist EVER! Powerful, Addictive, With a Handsome Prince..., 4 Jan. 2012
4½ Out of 5
Cinder is the best mechanic in the kingdom. She's also a cyborg. A plague is sweeping through the land of New Beijing. A manipulative alien queen is trying to force young Prince Kai into a marriage alliance, threatening his kingdom with war. Cinder is stuck in the middle of it all, trapped by loyalties and her growing feelings for Kai. When the truth behind Cinder's mysterious past is revealed, it changes everything. Caught between love and hate, freedom and war, Cinder's actions could change the future forever...
Cinder, Cinder, Cinder. Where do I start? How do I describe the pure awesomeness that makes up this book? Imagine the Cinderella fairy tale. Now imagine it in a futuristic world, where Cinderella is a cyborg in a kingdom on the brink of war with a non-human race with freaky powers. There's also an incurable plague sweeping through the land. And throw in a gorgeous prince with an irresistible smile, just for luck... Ah, Cinder... loved it!
Cinder herself was someone I liked straight away. She was funny and sarcastic, as well as being totally awesome, with some really cool cyborg powers! Cinder was just a really sweet person, who didn't deserve any of the bad things that happened to her. She was also the perfect heroine: kickbutt, strong, witty, caring and not perfect. She was real. I loved her, and seeing her grow into herself.
And Prince Kai (our very own Prince Charming) was really sweet and kind and down to earth. And drop-dead gorgeous, obviously. I found him really funny and brilliantly sarcastic. And you just know that he would do anything for his people from the moment you meet him. I loved him: I mean, forget Prince Charming, I want me a Prince Kai!
Now, I just have to mention Iko, a little android with a unique personality. She was so cute! And funny. She was like a totally juvenile (and freakin' hilarious) teenage girl. I never thought I could love a little robot as much as I loved Iko!
The Lunas, the ones New Beijing was almost at war with were terrifying! They were more-than-human-humans, with freaky mind-controlling powers. They were the perfect `bad-guys', for lack of a better word: scary, imposing with an evil, manipulative queen...
Now, while I am aware this is a book, that the things in it are fantasy, the way the cyborgs were treated... it made my blood boil. They were taken, against their will, and used as guinea pigs. Treated like slaves, second class citizens. It was a brilliantly crafted mirror of what has happened in the past in some cultures.
Before I say anything else, can I just say: I loved this world! Cyborgs, androids, dashing princes, evil stepmothers. It has seriously got to be the best Cinderella twist EVER! And it was just insanely addictive, with a killer ending that has left me desperate for Book Two!
Although I managed to guess a few twists, I loved every turn Cinder took. I loved the plot, I was never bored. I was on the edge of my seat, unable to put it down. I fell in love with all the characters - the amazingly strong Cinder, the adorable Iko, the sweet Peony, the gorgeous Kai. I adored the relationships: the horrid one between Cinder and her stepmother, the amazingly slow and beautiful one between Kai and Cinder, the teacher-student bond between the brilliant Dr Erland and Cinder. I just loved every moment of Cinder and I've been left desperate to know what happens next. I need to get back into Cinder's world!
The writing was amazing. It was written so younger kids will love it, and instantly get stuck in, but so older readers can see some parallels between their world of the future and our past. Discrimination, plague, wars, forced alliances. Somehow Meyer managed to effortlessly weave the old with the new, the young and the old, the future and the past, science fiction and fantasy. O was just sucked in, absorbed in the story. Cinderella has been given a new lease of life in the brave Cinder, a kickbutt awesome heroine who most definitely trumps Disney's princess. And she felt real. Like I knew her, which is even more important for me. Meyer nailed it! In other, shorter words.

4.0 out of 5 stars Lunar Chronicles book 1, 3 Jan. 2012
Sarah (Feeling Fictional) (Kent, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Cinder is an orphan who was adopted by Garan when he was travelling in Europe and he brought her home to live with his family in New Beijing. Her stepmother Adri never wanted a new addition to the family and since Garan's death shortly after he returned with Cinder she has made her stepdaughter's life a misery. Cinder is a gifted mechanic - thanks to her cyborg abilities - and she is forced to work at the market to earn the money that the family need to survive.

I love fairytale retellings so as soon as I heard that Cinder gives Cinderella a futuristic sci-fi twist I knew I wanted to read it. I was caught up in the story from the moment I picked it up, Marissa Meyer has created a detailed and interesting world and one that I would have been happy to spend much more time exploring (yay for the fact there are going to be 3 more books in the series, although it's going to be a long wait to get my hands on them!). Set sometime after the fourth world war Cinder lives in a world of cyborgs, androids and hover cars. There is a worldwide deadly plague that is causing terror amongst the population, one with no survivors and that the scientists seem no closer to curing. I did find myself thrown out of the story a couple of times by the use of unfamiliar terminology but that was something I got used to and it didn't stop my enjoyment of the book.

What I loved most was Cinder's character, she is much stronger and less of a push over than poor Cinderella ever was. She may be treated terribly by her stepmother and her stepsister Pearl but she has a plan and she is determined to escape from their clutches. She is prepared to work hard, she doesn't sit around feeling sorry for herself and although she is a social outcast she still has confidence in her own abilities. I loved her relationship with her younger stepsister Peony who also happens to be her only human friend. Peony was the only member of Cinder's family that I didn't find myself wanting to slap or push off the top of a very tall building. She was a sweetheart and it was so nice that she didn't conform to everyone elses prejudices against cyborgs. I also loved Iko, their friendly household android with a faulty personality chip. Cinder, Peony and Iko together never failed to make me laugh with their crazy conversations. I liked Kai and I enjoyed the slowly developing romance with him and Cinder. I loved how flirtatious they were with each other and I really enjoyed the few chapters that we had from Kai's perspective. It would have been nice to have seen more from his point of view though because we didn't get to know him as well as I wanted to.

I haven't even mentioned the evil Queen Levana who is the ruler of the Lunars (the population on the moon). She was a ghastly character with some scary abilities and she has her sights set on taking over earth too! The plot is complex, there really are a lot of different things going on and I felt the pacing was great. I was never bored while reading, I enjoyed the world building (even though I am left with questions) and although I'd guessed one of the main twists there were still plenty of things that surprised me. I was a bit disappointed that we are left with such a huge cliffhanger ending though. I don't mind a bit of a tease for the next book but considering we have a year to wait for the next installment I really would have liked a few more things to have been resolved. Cinder is a strong debut and one that I would highly recommend to anyone who likes fairytale retellings and futuristic science fiction. I will be first in the queue to get a copy of the second book Scarlet (which is a retelling of Little Red Riding Hood) when it comes out next year!

5.0 out of 5 stars Cinder by Marissa Meyer, 31 Dec. 2011
My favourite part of Cinder was the world that Meyer has created to tell this fascinating story. The history of this futuristic universe is rich and thoroughly developed, which makes the sci-fi completely believable. The historical aspect of the novels was introduced by being woven into the story, and didn't feel out of place or forced.

The links to the fairytale of Cinderella were prominent, and yet they were not over the top. Cinder lives with her wicked stepmother and her two stepsisters. She has to work as an engineer to feed the whole family, while her stepmother spends her hard earned money on luxurious items. The prince is also present throughout, and we even have a mouse like in the Disney movie (kind of).

I was very intrigued by the Lunar colony, and I enjoyed reading about how those people were living. I loved their evil yet beautiful queen, and I cannot wait to see what happens with her in the next books in the series because she's a fantastic antagonist - and also pretty scary!

Cinder was a brilliant female lead. She was strong, reliable, and she doesn't give up. She's also able to look after herself, which is a great quality to have. She doesn't rely on her stepmother, or anybody else, which also adds a lot to her story. Cinder tries to hide her situation - or her cyborg-ness - from Prince Kai, and I was holding my breath waiting for him to find out about her. I felt so much love for this character, and I would have hated for her to get hurt because society doesn't accept cyborgs like her.

I wasn't too fond of the love interest, Prince Kai, because I didn't feel as though he was as well developed in comparison to Cinder. This left me a little bit disappointed, although that is probably because as a reader I was spoilt with the awesome Cinder, and I had very high expectations. Nevertheless, Kai is still pretty awesome, and it was really interesting when I had the chance to read from his point of view.

I absolutely cannot wait for the sequel to this novel. I look forward to seeing what Marissa Meyer can do next with both Cinder, and the other fairytales that are going to be woven into the upcoming stories. I'm dying to know where Meyer will take us next. She is a brilliant writer and I would recommend this book to everyone!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Fairytale twist of fate..., 19 Aug. 2014
Liz Wilkins "Lizzy11268" (England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
***Source: Purchased copy via local Bookshop***

Ha! I adored this book. I’ll be honest and say I wasnt sure going in, it sounded strange and a little bit mad and actually it was exactly that but at the same time positively brilliant. At turns witty, ironic and emotive, this will have you searching for the fairy tale within the narrative (and trust me the heart of it is there) whilst getting totally immersed in the world Cinder inhabits, with all its charm and mayhem.

Cinder is a top mechanic and also cyborg, a fact she would rather hide when she meets Prince Kai, unexpectedly in her workshop one day. From then on in it is a rollercoaster ride of great reading fun as Cinder finds herself even more at odds with her Stepmother, trying desperately to save her Stepsisters life and becoming aware that not everything is as it seems – even herself. Extremely clever storytelling makes for an addictive and terrific read, the premise is beautifully imagined and executed, the whole thing was top notch.

The world building is pitch perfect, enabling you to visualise the city and the places within, I adored all the characters even the evil ones (the wicked Queen is wicked indeed) I fell completely in love with Kiko, tried to decide if Prince Kai was indeed charming and really got quite emotional when Cinder was treated badly – I was in this one all the way. The ending drove me to immediately pick up “Scarlet” (thanks to that lovely friend of mine who advised that I buy all 3 available books in this series at once) and so far that one is living up to the promise of the first so I dare say I’ll be on about it anytime now.

This is one of those novels which at first glance you might assume to be light reading, nothing special, fun perhaps but thats it. In reality there are some dark themes running throughout, a little bit of social commentary on how we treat others within our society perceived to be “different” and whilst it absolutely IS a great deal of fun, there is also passion and protest there, an intelligent story within a story that can give you pause for thought. For me this gave it an added depth as an adult reading fiction aimed at teenagers (and teenagers will and do adore it) and solidified my opinion that some of the YA available at the moment is far superior to some of the adult fiction when it comes to packing pure emotional punch.

Overall then terrifically terrific. I’m positive that this is going to be heading to the top of my favourite series list. Absolutely highly recommended for adults and young adults alike.

3.0 out of 5 stars "Cinder" by Marissa Meyer, 3 April 2014

First of all, let’s list the things that this book has going for it, because there were a few things that were potentially redeeming qualities.

First of all the book was well written, it was an easy pleasant read.

Second, the idea was great. I love fairy-tales and have developed quite a liking for all sorts of retellings. So Cinderella crossed with cyborgs sounded like a wicked idea. The other good part was that the Cinderella element was woven in quite well. There were a few times where it was obvious that the reader was meant to think that “Ah, this is the part from Cinderella”, but mostly it was very smoothly linked to the rest of the story, which by the way was intriguing.

Now there were a few things that bothered me. Sort of like a splinter under your skin, but less pleasant.

The cyborg/android part. Very underwhelming. I was hoping this book would have more of a sci-fi element, but it sounded like someone had read one too many smart-phone manuals. All the robotics parts seemed very hurried and not properly researched. And come on, Cinder fixed up an old-time (which means our time) car and we did not get even one scene where she actually worked on it!

Cinder. At the beginning of the book, I really liked her. I thought she was witty and fun. But she became one-dimensional very fast. I mean how can it be that she has never been interested in where she came from? Especially if all people carry ID-chips that should give her info, but presumably doesn’t? How can someone be so uninterested in themselves?

Kai. Well, I’ll give you that, he is like a real prince from the early Disney movies. As in absolutely brain-numbingly boring! I meant he is meant to be a ruler and he sounds like he sort of looks at everything like a bystander and keeps going: ”Aww, that is really not working out for you, is it?” Also, how he keeps saying to Cinder that he doesn’t want special treatment and then goes “Hey, I am a prince, give me special treatment.” Just give me a break.

And the biggest one. This was the single most predictable big surprise ever. I usually do not mind spoilers, because I am more interested in the story than the climax. But this was obvious from the very beginning and it was very easy to see how it will all work out. I mean try to throw some twists and turns into it. Give a little spice. This felt like walking into the same wall repeatedly and expecting it to turn into a door! It was a good but poorly executed idea.

I do not regret reading this, but I’m quite happy to put it back on my shelf and go find something juicier. Three stars. And that feels kind of generous.

---

This review is also on my blog:
[...]

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent start to an awesome series, 21 Sept. 2013
Thank you forever, Marissa Meyer, for this book. Not only was it an extremely creative and enjoyable sci-fi retelling of Cinderella, but I was craving good young adult sci-fi for so long, and now I finally have found a great one.

I knew about this book for a long time, kept seeing the title on Goodreads, but something just kept holding me back. Though the idea (Cinderella is a cyborg) sounded interesting, at the same time it kind of gave me chills. But being a sci-fi fan, I finally decided I should check it out. And now I only regret not having read it sooner.

This book is awesome. First off, the world building is of the quality that reminds me why I love sci-fi. Just the whole concept of the Fourth World War destroying much of the world and the remaining countries unifying under new governments - brilliant! So believable and interesting. A plague, cyborgs, androids, hovers, ID chips, port screens - *sings* what a wonderful world. Having read so much YA recently, I don't know when I last read a book that truly took total advantage of the world the author created. But this world was beautiful, and that truly engages you to keep reading.

Cinder is an awesome heroine. To be honest, the Cinderella fairy tale was never one of my favorites. I especially just found her to be really boring. But Cinder is not that. She is strong, courageous, snarky, and stands up for what's right. Marissa gave her a really unique voice that I loved to read.

Kai somehow made the dreamy prince character even more dreamy. I really, really appreciate the times when the book sort of shifted to his point of view so we get that political angle in there. That really added a wonderful extra dimension to the story. And I love that there was no romantic melodrama - the romance really stayed on the side, which really fit the story.

The only thing I can say that's less glowing is that the big time sekrit reveal was the most obvious thing in the world. Especially when everyone and their mother is recommending this to Sailor Moon fans. *cough* I knew the second it was mentioned, around page 40 or something. That's not to say that it was less enjoyable to read, but the "must reach the ending" drive was kind of lacking.

But that all being said, I can confidently say this was a brilliant set up for the rest of the series. I'm eagerly awaiting the sequel, Scarlet, and anxious to return to this beautiful, interesting, and creative world.

Recommended for: *conformist* fans of Sailor Moon, fairy tales, and science fiction.

4.0 out of 5 stars Should of left Cinderella behind...., 24 Jan. 2013
g (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Another day, another series that I've been told I've got to read. I've concluded that I'm not a normal reader, as I rarely like the hyped books, and love those that most dislike. But I hope thats what makes me a successful reviewer, the fact that I offer a different opinion, and not just to be different, but because I honestly feel that way. Fairytale retellings can go really right or terribly wrong, I've yet to find a mid-point one, and I love Jackson Pearce so Cinder had a lot to live up to.
Cinder (retelling of Cinderella, obviously) is set in the future, in New Beijing. The world has been at war several times and now is at peace on earth but there are tensions with the `moon people' the Lunars, a race that have evolved to use glamours and mind-controlling type powers. Technology has developed and humans live alongside robots and cyborgs (half and half), although there is a big divide between humans and cyborgs. Cinder is a cyborg mechanic, she lives with her guardian and her daughters, after having been taken into the care of the guardian's husband who died soon after making her promise to look after Cinder. There are two main arcs to the story - one is the spread of a plague (I can't spell it, so am not even going to try), which is deadly and incurable, and the other is Cinders relationship with the prince, Kai. Kai meets Cinder when he's looking for a mechanic for his android, and has no idea she's a cyborg, he's intrigued by her, and when they keep meeting by chance he starts to fall for her, but obviously Cinder is having none of it - she knows that if he knew she was a cyborg then he'd turn away in disgust, but she can't deny that she's got feelings for him too. In-between all this Cinder's step-sister Peony gets sick, unlike the fairytale, Cinder and Peony get on (its the other sister thats awful to her) and Cinder's guardian sends her off to be used in testing for a cure, Cinder soon finds out that there is far more to her than just an orphan who is part cyborg, and the more she discovers the more dangerous it becomes for her, the prince and the people of Earth.
I liked the thought behind Cinder, I am not sure why there was a need to bring the fairytale into it, the story stands up on its own, and it really doesn't follow the old tale all that much, the basis is there, but it could of easily been a stand alone tale and still be a good story. There were a lot of twists and pace changes, most of which you could see coming miles ahead, in fact there were many times where you felt like slapping Cinder for being so blind. Where the book failed for me was a lacking of magic, not the sparkly fairy dust type, but the type that make a story stick with you. If you are going to retell a classic story, then you need to use that story to make yours better, but I felt that Cinder used Cinderella to lean on, rather than build on.
I also disliked the cyborg attitudes in the book, these are people that have had prosthetics or electronics attached to save their lives or limbs etc - and yet in the book they are seen as sub-class citizens, in an almost racist way - they are sent for testing against their will for goodness sakes! I know it may just of been Meyer's attempt at building an imperfect world, but I felt it was more that it wasn't thought through properly, I mean if they are looked upon that badly, why would anyone get any cyborg parts done? Would you throw your daughter out because she needed a cyborg heart to survive? No, I doubt you would, but in the book - thats the attitude they have.
I liked Kai and he really was a saviour for the book, he was a caring, thoughtful prince and a genuinely nice guy - but he has his flaws and his last few pages were brilliant, I love the fact that we don't know how he feels about all the revelations (No I'm not going to spoil them) and the twists that have been happening. I hope to see more of him in future books. Yes I would read further books in the series, I enjoyed Cinder, but as I said before, felt it would of been better as standalone story, rather than a fairytale retelling.

4.0 out of 5 stars Different, slightly predictable, but good!, 25 July 2012
I heard a lot of buzz about this book on the blogosphere and saw many positive reviews. As i love anything to do with Fairy tales, and have really gotten into the whole world of re-tellings I thought I might as well try this one. I ordered it at the library and thought it took a while to come in I was still excited when it did. Although at the same time, slightly apprehensive - is a robot Cinderella going too far?
I sat down to read this when I got home from work on Tuesday afternoon, it didn't grab me immediately but it did pique my interest. I liked how the world was set up and a mixture of characters are introduced straight away, it means you get to know them and how they all interact together and the world becomes more 3D.
I found myself believing in Cinder, who she was and what she stood for, I got to know her personality and quirks quite quickly and I found myself being drawn in further.
The plot is fast paced and at times it felt like the book just flew by. I would look and suddenly be 100 pages further along in what only felt like minutes.
I will say this book was slightly predictable in places too though. At most of what I thought were supposed to be the 'shock' moments I had guessed what was coming for a long time. The mystery Princess for example - I had it figured out by page 120, and it's 'revealed' in the last chapter of the book. No great shocker to me!
This book is a very enjoyable, fairly easy read that does capture your attention and in some places your heart. It's not the best book I've ever read, but it certainly has it's moments and I would recommend giving it a go.

I look forward to reading the next part in the series and have high hopes for Marissa Meyer.

Cinder: Book One of the Lunar Chronicles
Cinder: Book One of the Lunar Chronicles by Tim Meyer (Hardcover - 3 Jan. 2012)