5.0 out of 5 stars Very entertaining
When Kylie Galen is forced by her mom to spend the summer at Shadow Camp, a camp for troubled teens, she thinks that she's in hell. But she has no idea that this summer and the new people she meets at the camp will change her whole life.
Published on 10 July 2011 by Amazon Customer

2.0 out of 5 stars Did not enjoy this novel
Published 14 hours ago by Rebecca Raeburn

5.0 out of 5 stars Very entertaining, 10 July 2011
This review is from: Born at Midnight (A Shadow Falls Novel) (Paperback)
Kylie thinks that she's a normal, mostly boring teen. So she is shocked when people at Shadow Falls insist that she is special and that she has paranormal abilities. Just as everyone else who spends the summer at the camp.
Will Kylie be able to find out if she indeed has special abilities and will she find new friends at the camp?

"Born at midnight" is a book that made me forget time while reading it. I started it and the next time I consciously looked on the page number I was already on 167. So it's safe to say that I loved the authors writing style, the way she built her world and her characters.

What I liked about this book is that the author took the time to introduce the reader, together with Kylie, to the paranormal world. Nothing was rushed and still the story never was boring or dragging. I loved the close connection that I developed to Kylie and think C.C. Hunter did a great job with making her main character interesting and likable. Kylie's doubts were understandable and I enjoyed that she needed some time to get used to all the info she got about paranormal beings.

Another aspect of the book I enjoyed is that even though there was a love interest for Kylie (maybe even two), that was not the sole focus of the story. The friendship between Kylie and some of the camp members, the discovery of her unusual abilities and her relationship with her mom & dad were more important. Reading about the friendship that developed between Kylie, Della and Miranda (they share a house at camp) was great and one of my highlights.

I furthermore liked how the relationship between Kylie and her mom was portrayed. Both had to learn anew to listen to the other and it was great to read how their relationship had changed towards the end of the story.

The only thing I didn't like about "Born at midnight" was that there is the possibilty of a love triangle. I'm tired of them and hopefully it will not play a major part in book #2. Other than that I loved reading "Born at midnight" and I'm very excited to read how the story will go on.

cover
I like the cover and the atmosphere that is created through it, but I don't like the girl on it. She doesn't fit to the story and looks to glamorous.

final appraisal
"Born at midnight" is a captivating book that made me forget the time while reading it. The story is addicting and not only young adults or readers of paranormal stories should enjoy this first book in the Shadow Falls series.
I would recommend this book to all readers who enjoy reading about a fascinating paranormal world and unusual friendships.

what to read next by the author
Ok, yet another series to add to my reading list. "Awake at dawn", book #2 in the series, will be out in October 2011 and my copy is already preordered. I just hope that the love triangle plot will be resolved quickly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best books review., 15 Sep 2011
This review is from: Born at Midnight (A Shadow Falls Novel) (Paperback)
Kylie's life is really sucking right now her boyfriend has dumped her and is now shacked up with someone else her parents are always fighting and are now getting a divorce and to top it all off, she is seeing someone that's not there her life could not get any worse right nope it can. Trying to escape for free hours, she heads to a party which ends up getting police searched and everyone is arrested. Her mum has had enough and send Kylie to camp over the holidays only problem is this camp is full of supernatural weirdo's and all Kylie can think about is getting home to her normal life the only problem is could Kylie really be a supernatural to.

When you start this book, the first thing that hits you is how much I loved Kylie's thoughts and feelings when she is feeling down she always seems to think something so funny you want to laugh your head off. Kylie is really confused with everything that's happening in her life, but I felt that really, deep down, she knew all along that something was not right. She was a great character that you could not help but love and her two roommates are brilliant they all worked really well together, which made the book really easy to get into.

Now the story line was all about supernatrals trying to get along at camp but there were also lots of other things going on like Kylie finding out who she is and whether she can trust Lucas and Derek. Then there is the fact that someone at camp is really out to close the camp down your mind spends lots of time trying to work out who's doing it and which boy (Lucas or Derek) you like best and want Kylie to end up with which is really hard because I really loved both guys. The author gave you lots to think about and made the story easy and exciting to read.

The ending for me was good it sorted out a lot of loss ends and keeps it well open for the next book in the series all together the book was well written it had lots of dark and light moments that made the book fresh and fun to read.
Five stars

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous!, 2 Aug 2012
This review is from: Born at Midnight (A Shadow Falls Novel) (Paperback)
I did a promotion post for 'Taken At Dusk' which is book 3 in the series. The book sounded really good so I decided to look up the series and ordered them from the library. Of course I ordered the whole series, I like to have them all ready to read if I know it's a series. Of course frustratingly book 3 arrived first, so I had to wait for it, but at last I had them all.
Kylie's life isn't what she htought it would be, at 17 her boyfriend has left her for another girl, her parents are getting divorced and she is being stalked by a crazy guy in army uniform that no-one else can see. When she is caught at a party and arrested her mum decides to send her to a Summer Camp called Summer Falls. Kylie has heard it's a place for Juvenile Delinquents, kids known for taking drugs, committing crimes etc, her life officially sucks!
But this camp isn't what she expects and she finds a whole new world waiting for her.
This book is instantly gripping, I'm not even sure why, but for some reason I couldn't step away from it. I immediately wanted to know what Kylie was and what would happen to her. I loved the idea of the summer camp, it was so well set out and the imagery allowed me to picture everything in my head clearly. I swear it was like I was almost there with Kylie and her new friends.
I loved the host of characters, Kylie is instantly likeable and I had to know more, and the others around her only improve the story and become like long lost friends. I loved 'Della's' attitude and quick retorts, Miranda's sensibility but also fun, and Derek. Yay Derek. Lucas is the mystery man, a remnant from her past, now back in her life, but I definitely know which 'team' I would be on. Derek all the way!
Each time I sat down with this book I only intended to be there for half an hour, but on both occassions I was there for just under 2 hours and so finished it in two sittings. This book is certainly addictive.
I love the world Hunter has created and I can't wait to get stuck into book 2 (Awake At Dawn)
And I have to just add. I think the covers are gorgeous and very cool.

4.0 out of 5 stars Courtesy of Teens Read Too, 14 Jun 2011
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Born at Midnight (A Shadow Falls Novel) (Paperback)
Kylie gets caught with alcohol and sent off to Shadow Falls Camp. She's expecting three months of nerdy kids and a boring camp. What she finds is a camp of freaks . . . real freaks like vampires, fairies, witches, werewolves, and shapeshifters. The camp is really a training ground where the kids can learn to master their powers.

Kylie is sure there's been a mistake.

Her only hope is to finish out her sentence and make it home alive. But things get complicated when two very different boys come into her life - and even more complicated when Kylie discovers she may, indeed, be right where she belongs.

BORN AT MIDNIGHT captivated me from the beginning and kept me reading through to the end. This glimpse into the dark side of a strange and mysterious camp kept me reading. I wanted to put it down because my eyes were tired, but I couldn't bring myself to do it. I've added this to my re-read list and look forward to another visit to Shadow Falls Camp.

Reviewed by: Joan Stradling

2.0 out of 5 stars Did not enjoy this novel, 31 July 2014
This review is from: Born at Midnight (A Shadow Falls Novel) (Paperback)
Did not enjoy this novel. Found it very strange and relying too heavily on the supernatural nature of its genre as its selling point. Finished the book with no attachment whatsoever towards the characters and also the events within it are just so random and do not seem to have any relevance to the book (I'm thinking particularly of the escaped lion in the room: such a random scene that I actually found myself frowning as to the purpose of this).

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 6 Jan 2014
love this series if u haven't read it u r missing out worth every penny could read it again and again with characters like Kylie lucas Derek Miranda della and Perry you won't put this book down

5.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable, 22 Dec 2013
Kylie is a character I could relate to immediately and it was easy to follow her story and become involved with her drama's. I really enjoyed Born at Midnight and will be grabbing book 2 straight away!

5.0 out of 5 stars Speechless, 28 Nov 2013
This review is from: Born at Midnight (A Shadow Falls Novel) (Paperback)
I read the whole series in less than a month.
Amazing writing, addicting characters, the coolest school ever, what more can someone need?
Plus the most common dilemma: two perfect guys, at the same time: confusion, passion, pain regret, all mixed up to create an amazing setting for success!
Really well done!
I strongly recommend it to everyone!

5.0 out of 5 stars Supernaturals yay, 30 July 2013
It was a brilliant story. Filled with loads of detail. My favourite character had to be socks Jr. Best cat ever. JK my real favourite character is Derek because he's brill!! And he reminds me of my favourite character in another book, but Derek is a werewolf in that book. The thing about this story is it sound familiar to me. And I like it because of that.

4.0 out of 5 stars Mistery, 25 July 2013
This book gets you so caught up till the very end...and after that you just want more! Really a nice plot and well written...and then there is always the real question in which you don't get an answer...what is she really?

Born at Midnight (A Shadow Falls Novel)
Born at Midnight (A Shadow Falls Novel) by C. C. Hunter (Paperback - 1 May 2011)
6.19