Format: Hardcover|Change

on 20 August 2014
A boy called Kevin grew up the hard way in Johannesburg, South Africa, but from his childhood he had an interest in animals. Back then it was birds but when he grew up he graduated to cats, big cats. He relates the story of his early life with all its knock backs,rebellion and taste for danger.

Coming after that early background his choice to spend his life building hands-on personal relationships with a variety of predators seems almost like settling down. Far from it though. This is a fascinating, exciting and emotional tale of Kevin's life with captive lions and hyenas, how they built up trust between each other and how on occasions that trust broke down temporarily or for ever. Hyena pups sound like little monsters, born walking, vocal and biting. Even as tiny pups they left their mark on Kevin. Not at all like blind, helpless, little dog puppies.

The main stars of this book are Kevin's brothers Napoleon and Tau two young male lions which become fully grown adult males during the course of the narrative. White lions feature too though I would have liked a comment or two on the distinction and interaction between the white lions and the normal brown lions.

My only small reservation with this book is that at times I found it difficult to work out where particular stories fitted into a sequential timeline. The narrative seems to jump about a little bit in time, a continuity issue. However the passion for the theme shines through. It's a compelling read and I enjoyed it very much.
on 18 January 2013
What a fantastic book and amazing life for this man. A dream job/life for a man who loves his animals.
on 20 July 2013
You have just got to get this. Its simply stunning. A must have item for any lover of Big Cats.
on 22 April 2016
Couldnt wait to get my hands on this book but how very disappointed and mortified I was when I came to the section about keeping lions in cages just to sell for a small fortune to mindless thugs for hunting...WHAT??!!Kev Richardson has just taken away any respect I had for him-I threw the book down in disgust.
on 3 January 2013
I bought this book for a Christmas present for my husband, he says it is the best book he's ever read!
The photographs are amazing and Kevin Richardson is certainly a very special person.
on 22 July 2013
Saw this guy on Facebook and wanted to know more about him. Very interesting read. Naturally good with wild animals.
on 17 January 2015
fantastic, I am happy that I purchase this book. I am enjoying it very much. I have great respect for Kevin.
on 22 February 2014
Kevin has done a wonderful job in describing his life and the problems that can arouse from working with wild animals. I know only too well that animals do sense a person's feelings towards them and act accordingly. He is very fortunate that he has learnt how receptive they are so hope he can carry on for many more years,as these lovely animals need such people like Kevin to understand and appreciate them.
on 12 October 2015
Great story Kevin holds, what an amazing man he is.
on 3 November 2014
amazing book! I would read it againt for sure!