4.0 out of 5 stars Timey-wimey goodness!
I really enjoyed reading Ruby Red. It was entertaining, fun, rather unique... but ultimately? Too short. I wasn't ready for the adventure to end. So maybe the biggest problem with Ruby Red is that I want to move on to the sequel right away. You know. If you can call that a problem.

Published 15 months ago by Debby (Snuggly Oranges)

3.0 out of 5 stars Ruby Red
Although I've seen Ruby Red mentioned several times on other blogs, I'd honestly never really thought about reading it. Until, that is, I found out it is about TIME TRAVEL. These are flashbulb words for me - the combination of modern and historical settings means that I get a little of all the things I love in one book - what more could I want?

The very first...
Published 5 months ago by Kat

4.0 out of 5 stars Timey-wimey goodness!, 21 Sep 2013
This review is from: Ruby Red (Ruby Red Trilogy) (Paperback)

I love this concept. Time travel is carried in genes and uncontrolled by nature. So Gwen just randomly gets sucked into the past for a half hour and then goes back. I love it so much. This is actually my first time travel novel, though, so perhaps I'm easily impressed. But I liked how this was tied to a prophecy and a mysterious secret society, bound by strict time travel rules... it's just so interesting, I kept reading until I was done. I couldn't stop myself. So compulsively readable? Check.

Gwen as a main character rather impressed me. She's not really the strong female character, but she's so realistic, and I loved that. I mean, she's been kept in the dark about the ins and outs of time travel and the prophecy all her life and then out of nowhere gets sucked into the past. Her shock, fears, and disbelief are really understandable and make her quite the endearing character. She also shows she can be brave when it's necessary, and I'm excited about the small ways in which her character already grew in this novel and will likely keep doing so in the rest of the series. I loved her sass as well.

I have a new book boyfriend and his name is Gideon. I just love him. He totally pulls the cocky, arrogant attitude off at the beginning, but as he travels with Gwen, he sees that he needs to be more supportive of her. And he totally pulls that off as well. He can be so freaking sweet.

I'm a bit on the fence about the romance to be honest. I absolutely loved it at the beginning, because it was clearly a love-hate relationship. I giggled like a mad woman every time Gwen thought about what a dick Gideon was. However, it was overly obvious that she felt more for him, just by how she got jealous when he was talking to other girls and checked to see if she had impressed him at times. I wish it had transitioned a little more slowly. That would have made it ultimately more endearing. So while I was a bit frustrated with the ending, I kind of loved it as well. The preview for the next book in any case does indicate it's not going to be all super mushy lovey dovey stuff, so that's good. If it is... well, we'll see that when it happens.

But as I stated up front, this book is too short. Maybe it only feels that way because I blazed through it at such a high speed. However, I really feel like very little concrete happened. I mean, we're teased with all these mysteries and prophecies, and in this book, almost nothing is revealed about that. It takes almost half the novel (I believe) before Gwen actually admits to her family that she's the one who has time traveled. It's odd. I wouldn't say it was slow in the beginning, but I guess that could have been condensed a bit. So while I loved reading about the time traveling, about this world and their families, I felt teased. It almost felt like this was a prequel, and the next book would be the true beginning. I dunno. I'm weird. This might just be me.

There is one other small negative thing to mention. I know that this is a translation from the original German book, but it really could have used another editing round. I couldn't help but get distracted by some of the mistakes. Some of it read as really clunky, and not just because they tried to emulate British English.

Summing Up...

This book makes me really excited about not only the series as a whole, but also about the time travel genre. I've been staying away from it for far too long, that much is obvious. I loved the characters and the concept, and my biggest problem is just that I want more. So I may just continue on to Sapphire Blue right away. (Anyone else always think of Pokémon when writing these titles, btw?) In any case, I'm going to go watch the movie now!

Recommended To...

Fans of time travel and swoon-worthy boys.

3.0 out of 5 stars Ruby Red, 20 July 2014
Kat (Netherlands) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ruby Red (Ruby Red Trilogy) (Paperback)

The very first thing that struck me about Ruby Red was Gwen - I loved her right from the beginning, and she is a perfect combination of brave, curious and funny. She has her own distinct personality, has very specific ideas and speaks her mind when she should, without being overbearing. There is a lot of internal dialogue with herself which I really liked - it made it a lot of fun getting to know her better.

Ruby Red is a fast read - there's a lot going on, and an intriguing back story, however what I really wanted more of is what attracted me to it in the first place - time travel. Understandably Gier builds up to the initial time travel moment, but at times in between I felt that the plot slowed a little, and more was put into building the back story than actually moving forward with the plot. All of this is actually very contradictory to what I usually enjoy in a book - world building is usually top of my list, but the lure of time travel seemed to overpower a lot of my interest in the world building itself.

The back story, however, is important to the plot, and I did find it rather intriguing when I wasn't hanging out desperately for more time travel, and I think Gier showed a lot of thought and imagination in creating it.
I did have trouble remembering the cast of characters as it's quite substantial, and many of them are introduced by other characters talking about them rather than appearing in their own right in the first instance, and this contributed to my confusion. If only I had known there is a character list at the end of the book - at the front I would have found it when I needed it!

But I had a lot of fun reading this book - I found it incredibly engaging, fun and as I said earlier, I absolutely adored Gwen. Although I didn't feel I got to know Gideon well enough in this book, I can see that there is a lot of potential for them to develop an interesting romance later on in the series.

A fun read, with a great female lead character, I really enjoyed Ruby Red, and I'm curious to see where the series goes next.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best timetravel around!, 30 Jun 2014
This review is from: Ruby Red (Ruby Red Trilogy) (Paperback)
Fun to read. Wish the 3rd part would finally be published and made available. This is taking so long. The movie is great too. Different to the book but great story anyhow.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, 19 Mar 2014
This review is from: Ruby Red (Ruby Red Trilogy) (Paperback)
I bought it and read it over again and again until bed. I think it is a wonderful book yeah.

4.0 out of 5 stars I enjoyed this book, 22 Feb 2014
Mrs. R. Fitzgerald "love to read" (Manchester England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ruby Red (Ruby Red Trilogy) (Paperback)
It is a slow burner. I really enjoyed meeting the characters, fell in love with Gwen surrounded by her abnormal family. There is mystery and suspense and romance. Not sure about the gorgeous Gideon motives so it has kept me guessing. I finished the book in 2 days and and cannot wait to read the 2nd book Blue Sapphire.

4.0 out of 5 stars Cute time travel tale, 24 Jan 2014
Damn these Germans can write, first Cornelia and now Kerstin.

I don't think I've read a time travel book this good. Mostly you would come across time travel romances but this book isn't about the romance, it's about the mystery and time travel.

Everything is so well developed. From the relationships to the plot to the ending. The ending is good but the epilogue is worth dying for. Plus there isn't a cliff hanger although the epilogue does leave you rather excited (dying) for the sequel.

The only problem I had was Gideon. I kind of dislike him. He is the pretty boy, the boy who thinks it's alright to act like a jerk and treat people like s***, sure there are good sides to him and he has his own sob story (well it isn't that sad but you get the point) but I hate it when guys be jerks for no real reason.

Time travel, secret societies, lies, evil mind readers, a sarcastic main character, what else can a girl want?

5.0 out of 5 stars LOVE IT, 24 Jan 2014
I enjoyed this book so much! It was cute and funny and interesting and JUST AMAZING.
I like Gwen and the way she acts, the way she thinks, she's a wonderful heroine! The Circle of the Twleve time travellers was really exciting, the fact that each and every one of them is represented by a gemstone. Gwen's cousin Charlotte wasn't a likeable character and so was her mother Glenda. I loved Gwen's relationship with Gideon, it was super-sweet! One thing I didn't like was that we have so many questions and almost none of them get answers in this book. I'm so excited to read the next two in the Precious Stone trilogy, Sapphire Blue and Emerald Green. Kerstin Gier is a genius. I totally recommenf her books.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it!, 23 Dec 2013
This review is from: Ruby Red (Ruby Red Trilogy) (Paperback)
I recommend this book as the idea of time travel isn't a topic that's overdone within young adult books, which makes it very refreshing. The narrative is witty at times but also secretly intelligent which means that you get the contrast between the side of Gwen who is scared and unprepared, and the side that was born to be the Ruby. Gideon is just perfect, so mysterious as he pulls her close one minute and pushes her away the next, but not in the annoying way that this is usually done.

5.0 out of 5 stars ruby red, 11 Dec 2013
This review is from: Ruby Red (Ruby Red Trilogy) (Paperback)
brought this book after watching the film, found that the book was much better than the film, (as it usally dose) this is a teens book but it was exciting, thrilling, and the plot is good.....done by a german writer yet based in London, places written about are manely true, still it kept me wanting more, so l did buy the next two books.....

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Read, 5 Aug 2014
This is a really great read, although I find the American spellings annoying the story is compelling with a likeable main character. If you enjoy it, you'll almost certainly have to read the next one, immediately!

Ruby Red (Ruby Red Trilogy)
Ruby Red (Ruby Red Trilogy) by Kerstin Gier (Paperback - 22 May 2012)