4.0 out of 5 stars No suspence but plenty of sizzle
Quite frankly, like most of Crusie's fans I don't need to read the reviews before I buy one of her novels. I have read them all and she is consistently, bright funny and sexy.
Published on 31 May 2004

3.0 out of 5 stars not bad for a romance novel
This is a romance/chicklit cross and not my 'thing' usually, but it was a book group book and I was persuaded to read it. It was quite enjoyable even for me (who hasnt a romance bone in her body) With romance you get formula, you have to have formula, the readers are disappointed if they dont get what they pay for, if the book doesn follow the formula. This is fair...
Published on 5 Aug 2007 by Green Book Addict Librarian

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars No suspence but plenty of sizzle, 31 May 2004
By A Customer
Still for those that do want to hear a review I'd say that 'Bet me' will appeal more to those that enjoyed 'Crazy for you' than say 'Faking it', in that Ms Crusie drops the funny twisting turning suspense that has been a backdrop to most of her other love stories, in favor of a 'straight' purely romantic girl-meets-boy book.
Its the story of Minerva Dobbs, pretty but plump eternal wall flower and seriously sexy Cal Morrisay who takes her out to dinner to win a bet and vows never to repeat the experience. Fate however has something other to say and this unlikely couple find themselves irrisistably drawn to each other.
I don't know if it's my favorite Crusie, but 'Bet Me' satisfied my sugar cravings, it's an unashamedly romantic, boy meets girl, boy 'hates' girl, girl returns the sentiment with knobs on. At that moment you know they belong with each other and you sit back and enjoy the ride.
'Bet me' is funny and really quite sexy (although Crusie does make you wait, she more than makes up for it with some sizzling between the sheets action). I have to admit that I found her reference to fairy tales a little heavy handed, but all is forgiven because I adore the art of simply telling a love story well. Crusie fans might miss the twisty turny slap stick suspense of her other romantic thrillers but this for me was a joy.
Read 'Welcome to Temptation' to see what all the fuss is about but do come back to Jennifer being simple, sweet and sexy in 'Bet me' after you're done.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bet Me, 19 Feb 2004
Emma Marshall "Emma1978" (Nottingham, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I have read all (yes all) of JC's books and couldn't wait to read this (I was on the waiting list for a long time). Yes it does read slightly different to her other books, and yes the plot is laid out differently, but it does not take away any of the brilliance of this author. I can't think of a single reason why anyone should not like or not get this book, it's easy to read (but not simple), fun (well hilarious actually), has a great story line and the fact that it has an ending telling you what happens to the characters in the future is a very nice change.

5.0 out of 5 stars This story is solid gold., 31 Jan 2004
Detra Fitch (USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Minerva "Min" Dobbs has only three weeks before her sister's (Di) wedding, when her boyfriend (David) dumps her in a bar because she refuses to go to bed with him. David thinks Min will come crawling back to him and into his bed. On the contrary, only minutes later, Min's friends (Liza & Bonnie) convince her to go talk to the handsome man across the room (Cal). But as Min gets near, she overhears David make a bet with Cal. David bets that Cal cannot get Min into his bed within a month.
Calvin "Cal" Morrisey is David's old nemesis. Cal is everything David is not. Cal also has a long history of dating gorgeous women only a few months before leaving them. Cal never means to hurt any of the ladies, but once they fall in love with him, he leaves.
Min decides to make "The Beast" (Cal) sweat his ego and get him as a date to Di's wedding. What follows is a hilarious tale! And Min learns that "the fairy tale thing" is definitely NOT for kids.
***** This story is solid gold! As much as I enjoyed this author's previous books, this one is the best yet! There is no doubt in my mind that it will hit the best sellers list AND win awards. Yes, it IS that good! Jennifer Crusie, you deserve a standing ovation for this little gem. Highly recommended! *****
Reviewed by Detra Fitch of Huntress Reviews.

5.0 out of 5 stars top of the list, 25 Nov 2007
rhian_eve (Swansea, Wales) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bet Me (Mass Market Paperback)
I tend to re-read Crusie's books, I read them over and over again. Bet Me is one I've read more than most and immediately went to the top of my JC list - pipping Welcome to Temptation to the post.

When I picked up Bet Me I didn't think that Tempation could be beat. I expected a good romantic comedy, fast-paced, multi-dimensional characters with excellent dialogue - all the things that Crusie does best. She never disappoints.

Bet Me is a stunning read, un-put-downable even. Min Dobbs is the heroine, a slightly overweight actuary with great taste in shoes, Cal Morrisey the handsome hero with a string of broken hearts behind him. They dislike each other immediately but can't help the verbal sparring. Min mistakenly believes that Cal has a bet that he can get her to sleep with him. She has no intentions of going quite this far but she does need a date for her sister's wedding; she decides to see how far Cal will go and whether she can drag a relationship out of him for a month.

The reason why Bet Me is special is that, unlike her other books, there's no farfetched crime to be solved. The characters carry this novel. It was refreshing to see a book about relationships that's so well written it needed nothing else. I adore these charcaters, Crusie writes dialogue so well that you can hear the way they speak. She paints their actions so realistically that you can see them move. In addition to that it's not just about Cal and Min - there's Tony, Liza, Roger, Bonnie, David, Cindy.

If you like reading about people and love read Bet Me.

4.0 out of 5 stars Bet Me, 10 Feb 2006
DevJohn01 (Somerset, NJ) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bet Me (Paperback)
When Min agrees to go out on a date with Cal she knows the only reason he asked her out was because of a bet. A stupid $10 bet to see if he could get her to sleep with him. Well Min has never been one to back down from a challenge and decides that one turn deserves another so she decides that it might be fun to make Cal miserable for as long as he is wiling to endure it.
Unfortunately, Min had it wrong, Cal actually turned down the bet and asked Min out on his own accord and cannot figure out why she is being so horrible to him. After the worst first date ever they both agree that they should never go out again. But the more they want to avoid one another the more they realize that maybe they shoud give this whole datinig thing a second chance.
I heard that 'BET ME' was one of Crusie's first works but for some reason was only recently published and it definitely has the feel of her earlier romance books. Lately Crusie's books have been romance with a hint of mystery wheras 'BET ME' has no mystery whatsoever but is one of her most fun romances to date!

5.0 out of 5 stars I DON'T BELIEVE IT!!!, 25 July 2005
This review is from: Bet Me (Mass Market Paperback)
The fabulous Ms Crusie has done it AGAIN!!! Every time a new book of hers comes out, I think it can't possibly be better than the last and yet every time she surprises me. I LOVED this book. I couldn't put it down, reading it into the night even when I had work the next day. I loved everything about it from Cal and Min's first date to Liza whacking Cal around the head at regular intervals to Elvis, the mysterious one eyed (!) cat. I've read reviews that say this book is predictable, that it was obvious Min and Cal would end up together but if you don't want predictable, don't read a romantic comedy because you're guaranteed a predictably happy ending. I loved it and don't care what anyone else thinks.

5.0 out of 5 stars i wish i could give it more stars!!!!, 2 April 2007
This review is from: Bet Me (Paperback)
To begin with, the plot of this book is so unusual but is based in reality so it has that "kooky" edge that only the great jennifer crusie can pull off. you immediately relate to Minn Dobbs who isn't, (like so many other heroines), super skinny and gorgeous and has problems with her mother and gorgeous sister. you also immediately love Cal because he is so typical of men but he is also funny and just *sighs*. but after the first hurdle they agree never to see each other again. However, the universe has other plans... this book is just un-put-down-able and so fantastic that i just love to re-read it whenever i can. This was the second book i read by jennifer crusie and it didn't fail to delight me. for anyone who loves witty romantic comedies BUY THIS BOOK. you should also look up 'Faking it' and 'Getting rid of Bradley' as well. hundred stars and going up....

5.0 out of 5 stars This book CANNOT be put down....., 27 Feb 2007
This review is from: Bet Me (Paperback)
Honestly this is one of the best books I have read in a long time. While it might not be about to win the Nobel prize for fiction it is vastly entertaining, funny, romantic and sexy.

If you are looking for an excellent piece of chick lit I highly recommend this book.

Now all I need to do is convince Hollywood to turn this into a film with John Corbett playing Cal....

5.0 out of 5 stars full of sparkle and wit!, 26 Feb 2005
This review is from: Bet Me (Mass Market Paperback)
I've read most of JC's books, but this one definitely takes the cake! It's written differently from all her other books, but it's amazing how well the plot links up, and how she explores every single witticism and situation!
In this story, Minerva Dobbs (Min) is a 'healthy' girl who longs to be thinner - like almost every girl out there on the planet! Her mom therefore considers her boyfriend David to be a living God, wondering how a handsome man like him would go out with a 'plain wallflower' like Min (her mom isn't one of those conventional mums - she is convinced Min is boring since Min wears cotton underwear, and is always making Min feel inferior about her weight).
Hence, when Min is dumped by David, everyone is devestated. Min even more so, especially when she realises she never even loved him in the first place. Furthermore, her sister's wedding is in a few weeks time and guess what? Her date's gone! So her best friend Lisa is determined to play matchmaker and matches her with the least likely candidate - Calvin Morrisey (Cal).
Cal is suave, ruggedly handsome, and everything Min knows isn't good for her. They hardly see eye to eye, Cal reckons Min is too sarcastic and high-maintenance for him and Min knows that Cal will definitely break her heart. How then, can they keep their hands off each other?
Definitely a recommended book, I've read it at least 5 times and still can't get enough of it! This book combines romance with fairytales and yet presents it in a really believable package.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great read!, 8 Nov 2004
Elaine Corne "dollykat" (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bet Me (Mass Market Paperback)
As with all the other reviews, I love this author and cannot say that I have read anything bad. This book is fantastic and so funny and at least the female isn't your average size 8, beautiful and blond! There may be hope for us all!!!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›
ARRAY(0xb5811108)

Bet Me
Bet Me by Jennifer Crusie (Paperback - 2 Aug 2011)
8.93