It's just a matter of weeks before Molly Murphy is to marry Daniel Sullivan, and she is supposed to be spending time with Daniel's mother in Westchester County working on her wedding dress. But she can't resist coming back to New York City when her dear friends Sid and Gus promise to throw a wedding party for her.

She's also tempted by the prospect of taking on one last case. Lee Sing Tai, a powerful man in Chinatown, wants Molly to find something of value that has gone missing. While the task looks impossible on the surface, she digs in and actually manages to make some progress. But the more progress she makes, the more she begins to regret taking this case. Is there a way she can get out of it, especially after a murder takes place?

It's hard to believe this is the 10th book in this historical series. I just can't believe I've been reading them that long. Don't worry about the series losing its spark, however. The world of 1903 New York city is once again brought o vivid life.

The story was so compelling that I had a hard time putting the book down because I had to know how Molly would get herself out of this predicament. Yet it all comes together in a satisfying climax. In fact, the last 10 pages had me smiling the entire time.

Sid and Gus make more than a brief appearance, and it was great to see more of them. And Molly is growing both in deductive skills but also as a person who thinks about her actions. Okay, so she usually thinks about things after the fact, but even that is a step forward for her.

I loved every page of this novel. Fortunately, the next is already being written. Now I just have to wait until it actually gets published.
on 12 September 2015
Excellent. I have read several of the Molly Murphy mysteries and in this one she at last gets her man.