5.0 out of 5 stars Changing the way you make bread
I had seen this book mentioned on a gluten free blog that I follow and I must admit I bought it mainly to be able to see the recipes in the gluten free chapter.

Published on 7 Mar. 2010 by A. Newstead

3.0 out of 5 stars Order your wheat gluten first before getting the book!
Published on 18 Feb. 2010 by Amazon Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars Order your wheat gluten first before getting the book!, 18 Feb. 2010
This review is from: Healthy Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day (Hardcover)
The bread recipes in this book look great but every one of them relies on the addition of vital wheat gluten. I went to Holland & Barrat, Julian Graves as well as a number of other health food shops in the city where I live, and the wheat gluten was not sold anywhere. I investigated on the internet and it is available but is not very cheap, and with postage makes a rather expensive item. Am thinking of returning the book as I am weary of making any of the breads without the wheat gluten.

5.0 out of 5 stars Changing the way you make bread, 7 Mar. 2010
A. Newstead (Kent, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Healthy Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day (Hardcover)

The book contains detailed information at the start about the process of bread making and the idea behind their concept; the authors have worked out a bread dough which can be made up in bulk and kept in the fridge for up to two weeks. Every day you break off a portion of the dough, shape it, (that's the "five minutes a day" bit) and leave it to rest/come up to temperature. Bake the bread, and 30-40 minutes later you have fresh, wholesome bread.

The flavour of the resulting breads is fantastic!

I also enjoyed the detail about each of the ingredients that they use and there is a useful (for those outside the US buying the book) conversion of the measurements from American cups to metric weights and volumes.

A few of the ingredients have been a bit tricky to get hold of here in the UK but so far I have managed it.

As well as having tried many of the ordinary recipes in the book, we have also made the gluten free breads including the brioche which is heavenly!

If you are serious about your bread making, then I would recommend investing in this book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Breadtastic, 5 Feb. 2010
V. Yeates (Bucks, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Healthy Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day (Hardcover)
I love the breads in this book - there is a real selection from the bog-standard loaf to some really interesting breads (espresso and pear bread anyone?). I recently made some wholemeal carrot, raisin and cinnamon bread and it was deliscious. The only thing I would mention as a downside is that the recipes rely heavily on wheat gluten as an aditive (this means the bread does not sink too much whilst being stored in the fridge) - and it does work, the only problem being I was only able to source wheat gluten on the internet and it was quite expensive (mainly because of postage!). This might be something to look into if thinking about buying the book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Title misleading but still fab book., 5 Dec. 2010
This review is from: Healthy Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day (Hardcover)
It isn't 5 minutes folks. If you want a loaf then there's a 40 min proving session on the master mixture; and other recipes in the book vary.

However, saying that; this wet method does save a lot of time; and I personally tend to make flat bread mostly; i.e. I pull off the amount I want, flatten it, chuck on a baking tray and shove it in the oven. I get gorgeous pita like bread; which me and the kids adore. That depending on size of the dough I've pulled off; takes anywhere from 10-20 minutes or so to cook.

So while you won't have bread within 5 minutes - using the wet method you can have bread within 10-30 mins depending on what you do.

Oh, and the bread is delicious. Seriously yummy.
Might not be 5 mins to make - but ooooh it is worth the time it does take - very, very worth it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent variety, 17 Oct. 2013
This review is from: Healthy Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day (Hardcover)
Great book for a wide range of very interesting breads in a very short space of time. The starter dough does take time and you do need to eat a fair amount of bread but definitely good.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good recipes, 16 July 2013
This review is from: Healthy Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day (Hardcover)
Helpful tips and tasty results. Would have liked more gluten - free and dairy-free recipes for consumers who have food intolerances

5.0 out of 5 stars fun to do, 14 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Healthy Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day (Hardcover)
what a funny book have made some of the loafts great book simple gave it to my farther for xmas he loves it to

Healthy Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day
Healthy Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day by Zoe Francois (Hardcover - 2 Dec. 2009)