When the President of the United States falls victim to a weaponized amd contagious strain of a genetic disease - one that kills its victims without warning or symptom - Special Forces commander Jack `King' Sigler is on the case. He and his team of highly trained operators have been assigned to protect a CDC detective as she journeys to the source of the new strain: Vietnam's Annamite Mountains.

Surrounded by old landmines, harsh jungle terrain, and more than one military force not happy about the return of American boots to the Ho Chi Minh trail, the fight for survival becomes a grueling battle. Pursued by the VLPA Death Volunteers, Vietnam's Special Forces unit, the team's flight through a maze of archaic ruins reveals an ancient secret that may stop the disease from sweeping the globe - even as it threatens both the mission and their lives.

Before we begin I have a question. Have you ever seen the movie Crank starring Jason Statham? It is a non-stop assault on the senses as Jason rampages across a city hunting down a group of criminals that stole his heart (yes, you did read that correctly). The reason I ask is because reading a Jeremy Robinson novel kind of feels like the same sort of experience. Once the action starts, it just doesn't quit until the story is done. Like Crank, Instinct knows that there are no real limitations when it comes to action, and it embraces this wholeheartedly. This novel is the written equivalent of pure adrenalin, and I was totally hooked from page one.

In the first novel Pulse, Jack Sigler's team mate and heavy weapons specialist, Bishop was given the opportunity to shine. Don't get me wrong I like all of the members of the Chess Team but Jack aside, Bishop stood out. This time it is Queen who comes to the fore. At one point, she suffers greatly at the hands of VLPA but she gets the opportunity for epic bloody revenge. Robinson really likes to push his characters to their limits. I've been thinking about this for a while and Queen reminds me of Mother from the Matthew Reilly Scarecrow novels. Both are tough as nails women who are just as capable as all the men around them. They are forces of nature in their own right.

The pace is blistering through out but be warned, Mr. Robinson delights in throwing the reader the occasional curve ball. Put it this way, at the end of chapter twelve there was a moment where I had to read a sentence multiple times as I was so flabbergasted about what had just transpired. There is nothing better than when a writer manages to drop something wholly unexpected into a story. Sneaky, but splendidly so.

I do have a minor quibble. I have to admit to being a little surprised that the identity of Deep Blue, the Chess Team's secretive right hand man, has been revealed. I enjoyed the enigmatic air that surrounded Deep Blue and part of me is sorry that this element is now gone. In saying that, without spoiling anything, I do now have a burning curiosity about where the reveal will lead.

Pulse is good but Instinct is great. This is a thriller that wears it's heart in it's sleeve and I believe it to be all the better for that. Instinct is the purest form of unmitigated escapism. I think it is about time you all discovered for yourself the never-ending action of The Chess Team.

Threshold, the third Chess Team novel, is already available in hardback, the paperback edition is due for release on 31st January 2012. I'll be purchasing it as soon as the paperback is available on Amazon UK.
TOP 100 REVIEWERon 13 January 2011
Instinct is the latest rip roaring action filled damn fun to read novel from Jeremy Robinson. Following on from Pulse, this is the second of his Chess Team adventures.

In instinct the world is on the brink of succumbing to a new plague. Someone has genetically engineered a strain of Avian flu with Brugada. The President of The USA has already fallen to prey to it, and died, with only an electric shock able to restart his heart. Everyone is at risk, there are no outward symptoms, you will just drop down dead with heart failure. So it's up to Chess team to to accompany Sara Fogg to the Jungles of Veitnam to find the source of the disease and hopefully the cure.

In a jungle littered with the discarred mines from the Veitnam war, danger awaits out team in many different forms. From the ?//////////, to a race of ancient and deadly creatures that have stayed hidden from mankind since the dawn of time.

Who are Chess Team? They are a team of highly trained covert operation soldiers. The kind of guys, and gal, who you send in when nothing else will get the job done. Each memeber is named after a chess piece, with all new members being designated Pawn.

I know, so far so generic I hear you say. However, these are a really good set of books. Jeremy manages to walk that fine line between speculative action thillers and over blown bombastic tripe. Spome of my older followers may remember that I have serious issues with another author, who writes similar novels. Novels so overstuffed with unneeded testosterone, that it feels as the pages have been made out of bulls testricles.

Yes there are huge gun battles, an ancient race of deadly creatures and a slightly psychotic army general, but Jeremy, manages to hold it in so the story telling doesn't suffer. The writing is faced paced, tight, and the info dumps are handled deftly. I can't abide novels where info dump after info dump is thrown in your face knocking you out of the narative.

Jeremy builds on the characters that were introduced in the previous novel, one of the characters background is divulged during a torture scene. This has been handle exremely well, it could have been easy for this to not work, but it is handled really really well.

I don't want to give too much away about the creatures as it would spoil the plot, however make sure there you have a strong stomach, there is one plot reveal, that made my stomach turn.

This is a first class example of the genre and is highly recommended
on 2 March 2014
Well I mean ummm well ummmmm so ummmm I am lost for words this so gooooodddd

What a bloody brilliant book I loved this so much and could not get enough of it...

Cracking story and will (I promise) keep you hooked...

Enjoy this one - I am off to read Threshold now - cannot wait to get back into the Chess Team world
on 2 June 2013
Although this isn't the 1st book containing the Chess Team, it is the first one I've read. I wanted to read it after reading the Call sign: King series. I am glad I did as the whole team together are fantastic. Often having more than one or two main 'heroes' makes a story difficult to follow, that isn't the case with the Chess Team. Setting out to cure the world of a deadly virus, enemies coming from all sides, it's an action-packed thrill of a ride. I couldn't put it down.
on 27 June 2014
This next installment of the Chess Team books doesn't ever really slow down much, but who wants it to? Hop on and go for a ride with them to Viet Nam to try and stop a deadly disease while avoiding elite soldiers and a race of who knows what. This book was a good roller coaster ride, the sort I've now come to expect with Jeremy Robinson, and I have to give it five stars! If you haven't read Chess Team before, pick up Prime and then Pulse, which are good in very similar yet completely different ways! Have fun!
on 29 December 2013
This book was recommended to me because of my love for Michael Crichton. This book is leagues away from that. It reads like it was written by a teenage boy over a weekend.
After twenty pages when it revealed one of the soldier characters has the mutant powers of Wolverine, and uses descriptive words such as 'bad-ass', i realised it this was going to be poor. This book is so bad i couldn't finish it
on 7 June 2013
What a fun book! Lots going on with action, adventure and creatures. Love Jeremy Robinson and his Chess team books are well worth a read. My kindle is loaded with the rest of the series.
on 19 November 2013
A good follow up for the chess team , enjoyed, good actioner
Now looking forward to the third as the end of this am thinking takes u into the third a back story from the first
on 21 August 2014
What a fabulous book. This is the second book I've read in the series and this book was even better! I definitely recommend.
on 20 November 2015
Good easy read, getting to know the characters a lot better now, there is a good supporting role to the main protagonist.