4.0 out of 5 stars All Out Action
Published on 26 July 2011 by Pablo Cheesecake (The Eloquent...

2.0 out of 5 stars Why do I keep buying these?
Comparing Robinson to Rollins does a disservice to Rollins in books such as "Excavation" etc.

This is the third book I have bought from Robinson over the last couple of years, and states more my need to have books in airports than any expression of quality for Robinson.

Published on 20 July 2009 by A. G. Williams

4.0 out of 5 stars All Out Action, 26 July 2011
This review is from: Pulse (Chess Team Adventure) (Mass Market Paperback)
I have noticed an interesting trend over the last couple of years. When it comes to the thriller genre there is a definite lean toward including more fantastical elements in novels. Now it is true to say that some purists may find this cross-pollination unwelcome. I, for one, totally disagree with that. This change appears to have reinvigorated the genre and opened up whole new avenues of storytelling.

Pulse is a great example of this cross over writing. The novel blends together the high levels of action you would expect to find in a Hollywood blockbuster with some masterfully executed science fiction.

I think it is fair to say that the best fiction has its basis in fact. To take something as complex as the regenerative capabilities of a salamander and use that as the jumping off point for a story that spans thousands of years and multiple continents is no mean feat. There are also some wonderfully outlandish moments that made me love the book even more. At one point there is a pitched battle featuring a volcano and a submarine. This added a nice, almost vintage, James Bond touch to proceedings and raised a wry smile.

The different members that make up the Chess Team are a great group of characters. Up front there is the enigmatic Deep Blue, and the heroic leader, King. Then follows the hard as nails Queen, and the brooding giant Bishop. Then at the rear the deadly Knight, and sardonic Rook. I defy anyone to read this novel and not have a favourite member of the team by the time you have finished. All of the team bring their own unique strengths to their mission. If I was forced to choose I would have to pick Bishop as a personal character highlight. The scenes involving him later in the novel are driven by pure adrenaline and this is coming from a novel where the action is non-stop from page one. Bishop is fuelled by a towering rage that he struggles to control. The events of the novel only make this situation worse and it is engrossing to watch his battles, both internal and external, as they escalate.

Sometimes I think that we are a bit hard done by in the United Kingdom when it comes to getting access to great thriller fiction. Pulse has been available in the UK since April 2010 yet the only reason I learned of it was via the author's Twitter account. This book deserves a much wider circulation than it has currently. It is a great deal of fun and held my attention from cover to cover.

The good news is that there are already other Chess Team novels published, and I've already ordered the sequel, Instinct, based on how much fun I had with Pulse. It is worth pointing out however that, with the exception of Amazon UK, they do seem to be a bit tricky to come by in Britain. I do urge you to seek out his work however. Robinson has created a fantastically entertaining on-going series here and should be included right up there with the likes of Jonathan Maberry and James Rollins as prime examples of the modern thriller genre.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fans of Rollins should love this!, 10 July 2009
J. Reeve (Bristol, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Like James Rollins' Sigma Force novels The Doomsday Key: n/a, this is an action-packed tale combining a secret military unit (in this case the Chess Team) with a scientific/mythical 'device' (here it is a quest for immortality) that they must prevent the villains from using for their own nefarious ends. The depth of characterisation and scientific plausibility is lacking compared to Rollins' best, but the book moves along at lightning speed with plenty of punchy action sequences and a little gore, and keeps you hooked throughout. This is the first hardback from Jeremy Robinson after a number of self-published paperback titles and hopefully marks his big break into the mainstream. I for one will be ordering the next Chess Team novel the minute it appears.

4.0 out of 5 stars Looking for action and adventure?, 8 July 2014
S. Burns "zippysjoystick" (Greenford, Middlesex) - See all my reviews
Look no further, this book is a runaway roller coaster hurtling along out of control and then just as it's about to crash, Jeremy Robinson brings everything back under control.

I flew through this book, sometimes waking up at 5:00 am and thinking to myself I can't get back to sleep, I know I'll read a few pages of "Pulse" and before you know it two hours have flown by and the alarm is telling you its 7:00am.

You actually lose yourself in this book and the great story telling that you lose track of time.

I'm not going to waste time recapping on what the story is about, plenty of reviewers have covered that off very nicely, Just buy the book and trust in Jack Sigler and the "Chess" team to whisk you off to exotic and dangerous locations around the world.

Indiana Jones meets Lara Croft meets Jason and the Argonauts all wrapped up inside a modern Delta Force team.

5.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable, 12 Nov. 2013
Having read
Chris Kuzneski,(The Hunters) David Wood (Maddock and Bones), Andy McDermott (Chase and Wilde) , Clive Cussler (Pitt and Fargo series), David Leadbeater ( Matt Drake series), Scott Mariani (Ben Hope), James Rollins ( sigma series) , I enjoyed this first book of the chess team series, as with all the others it's a mix of action that's over the top Hollywood style, history, technology,legends.
Good first book, quite a bit gorier than most in this genre, but enjoyed the story and the chess team members, a unbelievable mix of legends and history meeting 21 st technology, but that's what made it
Will continue reading the adventures of the Chess team

4.0 out of 5 stars Hit his stride, 4 Jun. 2010
Mr. J. Domagala (Matlock, Derbyshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Pulse (Chess Team Adventure) (Mass Market Paperback)
I've read a couple of Mr Robinsons books prior to picking this one up and I think with this one he's hit his stride. The characters were compelling, the plot intricate enough and the action plentyful, I can't help but be reminded though of the similarities between Rollins Sigma Force and Golemans Event Group but that's not a bad thing and I can see the Chess Team becoming hugely popular too, I look forward to the next instalment.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fast paced fantasy entertainment, 2 Nov. 2013
Cybertench (Yorkshire, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I've read several Jeremy Robinson books - which "says" how much I've enjoyed them.
The story is pure fantasy; you're not meant to examine how plausible it is.
Bodies regenerating, mega-rich evil guy seeking immortality, multi- headed hydra, Delta squad taking on he "baddies" !
I think the book would make a good movie.

2.0 out of 5 stars Why do I keep buying these?, 20 July 2009
A. G. Williams "Gavin" (London) - See all my reviews

It follows a typical pattern of a very interesting premise, which somehow falls flat on execution. I found myself in effect flipping through the book to find the odd paragraph which appealed, much as someone would hit the "skip forward" button when watching a film on television.

Having just re-read "Relic" by Preston/Child, which is arguably a similar genre, it was definitely a come-down to read this book. This book read much more like Anthony Horowitz.
The more pity because it's clear that Robinson has an inventive mind, and I actually liked the structure of the "Chess Team", whereas JAmes Rollins Sigma force, and Tom Clancy's Op-Force can often mean the author has given up and is resorting to pot-boilers.

My advice to Jeremy Robinson is to wait when he gets his next idea, and spend much longer layering a depth of characterisation into the books.

5.0 out of 5 stars Chess Team's Pulse, 27 Jun. 2014
NITSUD! "Dustin Dreyling" (White Bear Lake, MN USA) - See all my reviews
Jeremy Robinson does it again! I finally had a chance to read this, simply loved it! Action, sci-fi, with a bit of horror-just enough. I'm quickly loving the chess team books, starting with Prime, which was also excellent. READ THIS BOOK!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant - cannot wait to get into the next one, 25 Feb. 2014
This is my second Chess Team book and they just keep on getting better !!!

This was a Pulsating read and I fall in love with all the goodies the more I read.

Great work Jeremy

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 3 Jun. 2013
A fantastic story of teamwork, friendship, myth and legends. This book will keep you on the edge of your seat, unable to put it down until the last page....and wanting more.

Pulse (Chess Team Adventure)
Pulse (Chess Team Adventure) by Jeremy Robinson (Mass Market Paperback - 4 April 2010)