1 Review

5.0 out of 5 stars An Excellent Collection, A Range of Emotions, 4 Jun 2011
John M. Ford "johnDC" (near DC, MD USA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Year's Best Science Fiction: Twenty-Fifth Annual Collection (Year's Best Science Fiction) (Paperback)
Gardner Dozois shows us that 2007 was a better-than-average year for science fiction. Per expectations from previous anthologies, this volume includes more than the selected stories. The "Summation 2007" chapter reviews the state of science fiction for the year in exhaustive detail. And the introductions to each of the 32 stories are particularly effective in highlighting other work by the respective authors.

My favorite five stories focus on emotional themes:

James Van Pelt's "Of Late I Dreamt of Venus" is an off-key story about love, patience and centuries-long dedication as two very different people work to change the face of Venus.

Ted Chiang's "The Merchant and the Alchemist's Gate" explores the intertwining stories of time travelers and shows us several ways to find meaning from our losses.

Elizabeth Bear's "Tideline" traces the parental relationship between a boy and a damaged robot struggling to remember the past with honor.

Robert Reed's "Roxie" compares human denial in the face of an incoming asteroid to human denial of the failing health of a man's best friend.

Gregory Benford's "Dark Heaven" shows us death from many perspectives, from a coroner's detachment from the bodies in a homicide investigation, through a detective's feelings about his late wife, to the very different views held by a visiting alien race.

The collection as a whole is highly recommended. My hope is that future collections will also appear in Kindle format, to allow surreptitious reading on my iPhone during the inevitable solemnly unimportant meetings of my life.

ARRAY(0xb6b86684)