Format: Mass Market Paperback|Change

on 6 June 2011
I was so impressed by the first book in the series, having given it a 5 star rating, I was looking forward to reading the second book in ther series. However this turned out to be possibly one of the worst books I have read. Where the first book had great characters and relationships, and a well thought out plot, this book had none! The main characters were awful, totally bland, no depth and their relationship unbelievable. Having being 'in love' and waiting for a prince for 6 years she suddenly switches to another man instantly. He is meant to be an impossible bachelour yet is so boring and one dimensional. The spend hardly anytime together yet are in love, and not even in a believable way. The author hints at a spinster club yet doesnt really expand or explain, the impossible bachelours is but a byline and not a big part of this story. This book seemed rushed, not well thought out and frankly boring. Where as the first book was brilliant, this will be going straight to the charity shop.
on 25 May 2012
I have to say that I'm surprised to see negative reviews of this book, becuase I thought it was a lot of fun. Kieran Kramer isn't an author I've heard of before, but I will definitely be looking for more of her books on the strength of this one. It's a fun, frothy and funny read, and while there are certainly some anachronisms of speech and action (like I can't imagine a spinster aunt asking her niece to snog her betrothed at a dinner party!) I had no problems putting such concerns aside (which is unlike me, because I'm normally a bit of a stickler). The book is a jolly romp with no pretentions to being anything else; the H&H are attractive characters and while the secondary ones, like Sergei and Natasha are rather one-dimensional, it doesn't matter because the whole thing was pacy and full of energy and had a great sense of fun.
There are times when one wants to read something fluffy and predictable, and this fit the bill admirably. Give it a try and I'm sure it'll bring a smile to your face :-)
on 26 November 2011
dreadful. Start to finish. The worst bit is the actual prose. So bumpy and all over the place. Then we get to the characters. So not worth caring about. The plot..well that is laughable. And this got into print?