on 28 March 2014
I love zombie movies. The cheesier the better. Sometimes they're not even real zombies, like The Stepford Wives. Or Disturbing Behavior, which everyone should see at least twice. This story reminded me strongly of Disturbing Behavior, however I couldn't invest as emotionally with it. Each character had their flaws, but not in a character building, we love you for them way. In an irritating, why on earth are you doing that sort of way.

As soon as we met Hannah, I knew she was going to be cardboard cutout Bella. Yeah, that Bella. I dislike comparing characters to Twilight, however, girl moves to a small town and complains about everything she lays her eyes on is pure Bella. Although, with Bella, I still somehow liked her. With Hannah, I just didn't care.

This would have been a better story had it been more fleshed out. Hannah needed a better backstory, I don't remember her once missing whatever used to be home or mentioning friends (although with a personality like that I'm not sure she had any). There was a brief mention of past boyfriends once. It felt like she only started existing once she arrived in the town. Her Dad was supposed to be running from debt collectors but again. that was never really expanded upon, just brief mentions. Lukas was the only character who could have had some sort of likability but I couldn't understand why he would even try to help a girl who didn't want to be helped. I would have preferred to see the entire story from his Point Of View actually. Besides the blondes, Lukas, a few teachers and one girl who disappears quickly, I never got a sense of the school. There were no other characters mentioned, which is pretty weird for a school.

The ending, much like the book, was meh. Nothing I couldn't predict. I would happily watch this as a bad movie. Reading it however, I just had no feelings towards it. I guess I'd recommend it to someone who was really, really bored one afternoon.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 29 September 2010
Hannah has just moved with her father to a new town - AGAIN. She doesn't get how her father doesn't understand that he can't run from his problems. Once she gets settled someplace, they seem to get into a financial situation that her father would run away from rather than solve. It never seems to work. Her father promises that Maplecrest is going to be different.

Boy, was he ever right - just not in the way he meant.

Hannah is used to being the new girl in school. She has made picking out the rulers an art form. At Maplecrest, they are the Cheerleaders, and the Cheerleaders are led by Maggie Turner. With her pale skin, glowing blonde hair, and brilliant blue eyes, Hannah can see why she attracts so much attention.

Lukas approaches Hannah at lunch on her first day. He comes to warn her. He doesn't want her to get pulled into the popular crowd. The popular crowd, he warns her, are flesh-eating zombies who are slowly killing off the people in town. Hannah's mind immediately flashes to all the "For Sale" signs she saw in the yards of the homes she and her father passed on their way into town.

But zombies? There was no way she was going to believe that. She could clearly see by the comic books Lukas carried with him that he was letting his imagination get carried away. While glad to have a friend at school, she didn't like him talking about zombies and quickly put it out of her mind as crazy talk.

When the Cheerleaders approach Hannah, she is both excited and nervous. Can she make the cut and win a spot on the squad? What will she have to do to be accepted by the girls?

Brian James has written an exciting horror novel set in an everyday teen setting - high school. What could be more horrifying?

Reviewed by: Karin Librarian