Format: Mass Market Paperback|Change

on 17 November 1998
This novel kept my interest partly because the hero was so non-heroic, so almost ordinary. Garrick is not the best looking, the strongest, or even the nicest man you want to meet. What he has, is heart. He feels strongly and in spite of his fears goes after that which his heart needs. Olivia is not pretty, not tall, nor petite, her uniqueness is in her character, which apparently developed from within. The two together make for a different kind of romance and an intriguing story. However, it was too long, and the ending was too abrupt with the handling of Richard, Lionel, Arlen and Elizabeth in the ending as an afterthought. Overall, I enjoyed the book and I will look for other Joyce novels in the Library. I bought this one, but I am not sure the others would hold my interest enough for re-reading.
on 15 August 1998
This book is so full of emotion, betrayal and the understanding of people that are not like everybody else. Her characters are strong but not to the point where they cease being human. Garrick and Olivia sizzle. It was hard to put the book down. This author writes for the adult minded and not the faint of heart. Brenda Joyce, please keep up the good work.
VINE VOICEon 20 October 2012
A gripping read, but domestic violence, child abuse, incest, adultery, suicide, abduction, murder.... it did put you through the wringer a bit!

I felt it wasn't wrapped up as well as it could have been - some things left me feeling unsatisfied. A few inconsistencies - for example a character badly sprains or possibly breaks an ankle. This is a hindrance while it needs to be, but a few hours later it seems to be OK again.

If Olivia knew what she knew about her husband all along, I can't see why she didn't use it to her advantage earlier?

Gripping while it lasted, but I don't think I could read it again.
on 12 August 1998
What can I say? I literally forced myself to not devour the book like I wanted to. I thought the story was great, characters believable, with enough scandal to keep you on the edge of your seat and hungry for more! I only wished that Olivia had exposed Arlen's secret after suffering from (many times) the abuse he inflicted on her. Of course, this wouldn't be in her nature. True, she did hold the key to her own freedom, however, she only used it once she was faced with the threat of losing her daughter. Overall, a great read.
on 11 October 1998
I Loved This Book!! I couldn't stop reading it from beginning to end. When I finished I was disappointed it was over! I've read the other readers comments and could not believe that they did not find it to be as wonderful as I did. I look forward for more books like this one!!!Olivia was wonderful!!! And Garrick was a true hero!The story was so mysterious, and the love these to felt came right off the pages into your heart!!! I think those who did not enjoy it should read it again, for they sorely misjudged this book!!
on 23 July 1998
UGH!!! Are you kidding me?!? I don't expect much from romance novels, but this one was just the worst! The so called hero and heroine were so weak and sniveling I found myself rooting for the villains. Of course there's nothing wrong with a flawed hero, but this guy was just down right useless and boring. And, the most convoluted part was that the heroine held the key to her freedom all along and never utilized it to all their benefit. I hope the next novel takes a 180 degree turn for the better.
on 5 October 1998
Brenda Joyce once again, proved that no matter what historical concept she takes upon, she can always do a fabulous job. This story was unlike any others you may find in book stores. The most interesting thing about it was its interesting and unusual plot and of course, the suspense. I was very excited while reading this book (although I'd been hoping for a sequel after Splendor). Anyways, i really recommend this book to those who haven't read it.
on 9 July 1998
This book will hold you, and keep you, to the very end. Mysterious and spellbinding. The best part, the male lead character, Garrick is NOT perfect! I couldn't put it down. Just a bit spicy with lots of plot, twist, and turns. Be warned, if an incestuous relationship between characters bothers you, don't read this. I thoroughly enjoyed my read!
on 23 August 1998
I have been an avid reader of Brenda Joyce's novels for a while. I was very disappointed by "The Rival". It started out great, but the characters were not really that interesting. Some of her earlier works were much better. I hope the next Brenda Joyce I read is much better, or I will be turning to other authors.
on 27 July 1998
I felt this book was very boring. The subject matter was great! Yet, the book was to long for the subject and I actually skipped chapters just to finish the book. I was very disappointed because she is one of my favorite authors. This is not one of her best works.