5.0 out of 5 stars Highlander Stole my heart
Captured by the Highlander proves that everyone is able to change. Even the strongest of Highlanders have a weak spot, love does concour all.
Published on 13 Feb 2012 by Ciro1997

3.0 out of 5 stars It was ok...
Published 5 months ago by Di

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Highlander Stole my heart, 13 Feb 2012

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Book! Loving the Butcher!, 23 Feb 2012
This review is from: Captured by the Highlander (Mass Market Paperback)
Lady Amelia Templeton, an Englishwoman, is asleep in bed, when someone breaks into her bedroom, swinging an axe in his hands. The stranger is Duncan MacLean, aka The Butcher, who's reputation lives up to his name. He's there to kill Richard Bennett, an English officer, having his own personal reasons for doing so. When she tells him she's Richard's fiance, he kidnaps her, and they go on a journey together through the Highlands. Amelia tries to find out why he wants to kill Richard, and when he finally tells her, she doesn't believe him. On the journey, the Butcher is aided by his ally, Angus Macdonald aka The Lion, who isn't happy his friend is keeping this Englishwoman alive. She later escapes Duncan and tries to get help, but her fellow Englishmen are drunk, and only interested in one thing. Duncan saves her and it's then she realises perhaps she was wrong. But just as they find themselves opening up to one another, she escapes again and Amelia is hurt when she finds out another secret about Duncan, who she's fallen for. But then Amelia must decide where her true allegiances lie when her fiance shows up.

Overall, the book was fantastic. I absolutely loved it. The Butcher looks scary and has no mercy for his victims, but deep down inside, he proves what a gentle man he really can be.

5/5

5.0 out of 5 stars very good read, 9 Nov 2013
i liked it very much nice story you could imagine yourself there. i liked the lead man in it and the lady as well. worth reading

5.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyed and easy to read, 27 Oct 2013
Lovely author always enjoy reading her books, good story again look forward to more of her books. Would recommend to everyone.

3.0 out of 5 stars It was ok..., 26 Oct 2013
The beginning was very promising but towards the end of the book **spoiler** the strong male lead kinda turned into a bit of a wuss, There was very little on the antagonist character, only a couple of paragraphs gave him attention. There was no real substance to him. His bride to be instantly goes from thinking he is a honorable man then they words of her captor seems to instantly change her mind from a so called "note". So she in herself seem a bit dim in certain things.

As for romance novels goes. I have felt there was no real passion between the two. Yes there was sex but it seemed a instant thing. There was no intense build up or earth shattering experience that so many "maids" experience in these types of tales. The girl seemed she couldn't make, one moment you read her as a high spirited woman, the next, a shy maid, and then instantly she is a experienced love maker to her partner. So it could have flowed better and more depth to certain chars. so all in all it was a okay read for a free book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, 17 Oct 2013
emma (Norfolk, UK) - See all my reviews
Not normally a fan of this genre I picked one of the books in this three book series up for free and was immediately hooked. Within two days I had purchased the other two books and had read all three, falling in love with the characters and finding the books impossible to put down.
Glorious romances proving that change is possible within everyone and showcasing the triumph of love, all set against the beautiful ruggedness of Scotland.

3.0 out of 5 stars Captured by the Highlander, 3 Feb 2012
The Demon Librarian (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Captured by the Highlander (Mass Market Paperback)
I almost feel like I read two books in one with this novel. There was a really clever twist in the plot half way through, which took me totally by surprise and changed my view of one of the main characters completely. Without giving anything away, there is an element of duplicity going on and when that is revealed, the rest of the novel is completely different.

I have to say I usually pride myself on seeing these things coming a mile off from the little clues we get, and they were there, but I didn't catch it this time. Minus one respect point for me. And once revealed, I really had a strong urge to go back to the beginning and look at this character again and examine every word they said, armed with this new knowledge. But of course, I didn't really do that. I went on and read the other half of the book instead, which unfortunately, wasn't as good. The reveal worked great as a plot device for shock value, but I didn't like the character as much afterwards, so that kind of dulled the effect.

All together, it's a good highlander read, but not a great one. I would read from this author again, but I wouldn't be tempted to re-read this one as I would others.

I give it 3 stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Captured by the Highlander, 15 April 2014
I really enjoyed this book, very gripping, everything and more I enjoy in a book, really well written, leaving you wanting more.

3.0 out of 5 stars 2 in 1, 27 Mar 2014
The first half was fantastic. It took me away, and I was in the highlands, riding on the back of Norbert or whatever that horse is called, the sun on my face and the breeze in my hair. Lovely.
The chemistry between Butcher and Amelia was palpable, and it kept me gripped to every page.
The first half of this book gets 5 stars from me.

Then we essentially leave the highlands, and spend the rest of our time in poorly described aristocracy with lots and lots and lots of talk of vengence and little else. I did not like Duncan in this half of the book. He seemed untrue to himself - perhaps lost under all that silk and vengeful thoughts. He used to have some insight. But he just became cold, shut down, and almost cruel.
And I did not appreciate the continued mentioning of Muira. It put Amelia in her shadow. And I've been in a situation similar to that. It is not fun.
The second, much darker and less romantic and chemistry laden half, I give 1 to 2 stars.

Oh, and I don't believe Richard would have finished things off the way he did.
Everybody just seemed out of character in the second half, and I missed the book I started reading.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Read, 18 Mar 2014
I really enjoyed this book. All the characters were brilliant and the storyline kept me reading non stop. Highly recommend to all

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›
ARRAY(0xb3a1bc9c)

Captured by the Highlander
Captured by the Highlander by Julianne MacLean (Mass Market Paperback - Mar 2011)
4.76