4.0 out of 5 stars A Great Anthology
Nine authors have got together and produced a highly enjoyable collection; each story featuring a very unusual wedding.

Spellbound by L A Banks

Published on 25 Oct 2006 by Book Addict

3.0 out of 5 stars Anthologies can be tricky things...
You're never 100% certain of what you're going to get. They can be great for finding new authors and/or filling in the waiting period til the next book from your favourite author. Or they can make you feel like you've wasted your time.

Published on 28 Jan 2007 by Lesley70

4.0 out of 5 stars A Great Anthology, 25 Oct 2006
Book Addict - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)

Spellbound by L A Banks

The 13 aunts of Odelia Hatfield have been magically battling the 13 uncles of Jefferson McCoy for generations, so their forthcoming announcement of marriage isn't likely to be received well. The celibacy spell cast on the pair also doesn't help their situation.

Something Borrowed by Jim Butcher

Chicago's resident wizard Harry is all set to stand in as best man at Billy's wedding until the bride to be disappears from her wrecked and blood stained apartment. Unfortunately a faerie has taken her place and should Billy kiss her, his beloved Georgia will be lost forever.

Dead Man's Chest by Rachel Caine

Short and mousy Cecilia is still amazed that she's due to marry Ian Taylor, a real life romance cover model. Married aboard a boat, Cecilia quickly learns two things; her new husband wants to kill her and the ship's crew isn't strictly alive.

"All Shook Up" by P N Elrod

Catering for the wedding of a supermodel and pro wrestler, Frankie uses her "vibe" and realises this couple are too ill suited to share their future together; that is until an Elvis impersonator appears to work a little magic with his music.

The Wedding of Wylda Serene by Esther M Friesner

Wylda Serene is determined her wedding and its reception be held at The Club, despite the odd events which occur there since a member smuggled in a Sphinx. The guests are wary on the day; however no one expects the Gods themselves to gatecrash.

Charmed by the Moon by Lori Handeland

Jessie, a "Jäger-Sucher (a hunter of werewolves and demons) is still not sure how Will Cadotte, an Ojibwe Native American talked her into getting married. She's almost sure how she feels until she finds an Ojibwe love charm hidden in Will's clothes.

Tacky by Charlaine Harris

Although vampires are now acknowledged by humans, werewolves have yet to make their existence known. With no love lost between the two supernatural species, vampire Dahlia cannot understand why her friend Taffy would consider marriage to a werewolf; that is until she meets the best man.

A Hard Day's Night-Searcher by Sherrilyn Kenyon

Rafael; ex-pirate and now an immortal soulless warrior would give anything to pursue a relationship with the beautiful but rather uptight Celena. A strict follower of the "Squire" code, Celena knows a relationship with Rafael is forbidden; yet she still finds herself falling in love.

"... Or Forever Hold Your Peace" by Susan Krinard

When Emma and Edward's wedding is thrown into chaos, Lady Olivia Dowling and Christopher (Kit) Meredith decide to investigate. When Emma later vanishes, the trail appears lost until Kit unleashes his wild magick to transform into the Black Dog.

This book was a great introduction to some new writers, as well as re-establishing why some of my firm favourites (namely Sherrilyn Kenyon and Susan Krinard) continue to remain so. With plenty of paranormal shenanigans playing havoc with the love lives of both immortals and ordinary mortals (if you discount the odd Bridezilla) you'll find yourself rapidly turning pages to discover the outcome of every story in this anthology.

3.0 out of 5 stars Anthologies can be tricky things..., 28 Jan 2007
This review is from: My Big Fat Supernatural Wedding (Paperback)

Although word of mouth said that My Big Fat Supernatural Wedding was an uninspiring collection as a big fan of Jim Butcher, Charlaine Harris and Sherrilyn Kenyon I wanted to find out for myself.

Where it works - the stories that are set in an ongoing series. Jim Butcher's Something Borrowed is a solid entry into the Harry Dresden series. Although I'm not familiar with Lori Handeland's Night Creatures universe her story (Charmed by the Moon) still managed to draw me in, keep me interested and made me want to check out her backlist.

Sherrilyn Kenyon's story whilst not reaching the emotional intensity of Phantom Lover from the Midnight Pleasures anthology is a vast improvement on Until Death Do We Part (Velkan and Retta's story from the Love at First Bite antho.)Though I wish she would cut down on the point of view head hopping.

One other story that stood out for me was Esther Friesner's The Wedding of Wylda Serene. Whilst slow to get into it had some very witty lines that had me laughing out loud.

Having read the stories I am disappointed. Overall the anthology is okay, but there is not enough here that stands out. Maybe it's a case of trying to cram too many authors in to one book.

Anthologies I would recommend - for Sherrilyn Kenyon - Midnight Pleasures, Stroke of Midnight. For Charlaine Harris - Bite (as part of the ongoing Sookie series), Night's Edge (standalone story).

4.0 out of 5 stars My Big Fat Supernatural Wedding, 17 Oct 2009
S. Lacey (Annalong) - See all my reviews
This review is from: My Big Fat Supernatural Wedding (Paperback)
This was a great anthology with a couple of my favourite writers - namely Jim Butcher - and i really enjoyed discovering a couple of writers I haven't read yet and may buy in future. A great read and worth a look.

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting..., 28 Aug 2006
Detra Fitch (USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: My Big Fat Supernatural Wedding (Paperback)
Nine bestselling authors come together and blend their talents to create a magical brew just for you, the reader. This novel is a collection of nine short stories. They are perfect for October reading, of course. The titles and authors are as follows:

Spellbound by L.A. Banks

Cursed by the Moon by Lori Handeland

Tacky by Charlaine Harris

A Hard Day's Night Searcher by Sherrilyn Kenyon

...Or Forever Hold Your Peace by Susan Krinard

**** This book has something for everyone, be it voodoo, shapeshifters, curses, magic, vampires, or even Greek mythology. And that is only a sample of the things found within these pages. I found myself laughing at parts, as well as, sitting on the edge of my seat during some very suspense filled moments. Wonderful Autumn reading! ****

Reviewed by Detra Fitch of Huntress Reviews.

3.0 out of 5 stars More, 20 Jun 2013
This review is from: My Big Fat Supernatural Wedding (Paperback)
I haven't had time to read this book & I have bought it for the Charlaine Harris story.
It arrived well within its timescale, but I was slightly disappointed by the condition of the book when it arrived.
Some of the pages were creased & folded over as was the back cover, but as I paid so little for the book, no pages are missing & it arrived so promptly: you cannot expect perfection

2.0 out of 5 stars Sooooooooo disappointing!, 25 Jan 2007
This review is from: My Big Fat Supernatural Wedding (Paperback)
I'd really enjoyed what I'd previously read of both Sherrilyn Kenyon and Susan Krinard, so buying this didn't seem too much of a risk .. I thought I'd be guaranteed 2 good reads and hoped to be introduced to at least one or two new writers whose work I'd also enjoy.

It didn't work that way. I probably will investigate a little more of Lori Handeland's writing, because for me, her offering was the best in this book, and I got the feeling that given room to develop a decent length of story she might just shine..

However my two "sure things" were so unlike the writings I've come to expect from Sherrilyn Kenyon and Susan Krinard that I actually checked to make sure I wasn't mistaken in whose story I was reading! Both stories were "ok .. ish". At best. (excuse me while I sob into my beer .. I was really tee'd off!)

As for the other stories .. I felt they were silly, lacking in substance even for short stories, and completely lacklustre.

There wasn't one which even held my attention - certainly nothing which made me rush through the chores so's I could dive back into the book.

Ah weel.

Don't waste your money ;-)

3.0 out of 5 stars My big fat disappointment, 11 Jan 2009
D. C. Stolk (The Netherlands) - See all my reviews
This review is from: My Big Fat Supernatural Wedding (Paperback)
I'm sorry to say that my high hopes for this anthology (based on the names of the contributors) turned into a big fat disappointment after having finished this book last night. Only one story, "Something Borrowed" by Jim Butcher, is a 5 star story; Rachel Caine's "Dead Man's Chest" gets 4 stars (excellent writing, as always with miss Caine, but a so-so story), as does the very funny "All Shook Up" by P.N. Elrod; the rest is a 2 star-story at the utmost. Okay, except for Friesner's story, that one rates 3 stars.
As I hadn't read some of the writers in this anthology before, I had hoped to discover a few new "add to my must-read list" authors. But, sad to say, that's not the case here. Judging by "Tacky", I'm wondering why Charlaine Harris has become so popular in the past few years. The rest of the contributions also doesn't rise above the level of a contribution to a fanzine. Now, if only the editor could have gotten contributions by writers like Kelly Armstrong, C.E. Murphy, Kim Harrison and Lilith Saintcrow, for example...

4.0 out of 5 stars Get it!!, 27 Jan 2007
This review is from: My Big Fat Supernatural Wedding (Paperback)
As a way of learning what style of writing appeals to you, this book is fantastic. Dip in and read about shapeshifters, wizards, curses and charms, and be prepared to start looking out for more books by the authors contained within!

ARRAY(0xaec2da50)

My Big Fat Supernatural Wedding
My Big Fat Supernatural Wedding by Charlaine Harris (Paperback - 3 Oct 2006)
9.10