5.0 out of 5 stars Pilgrim and donkey hilarity
Published on 1 Oct. 2011 by MovingStuff

1.0 out of 5 stars Not my thing?
I bought this because I read a good review of it in a newspaper and it sounded like an interesting theme for a book. To sum it up in one word- DULL.
Published on 19 Nov. 2009 by Dahlian Kirby

5.0 out of 5 stars Pilgrim and donkey hilarity, 1 Oct. 2011
This review is from: Travels with My Donkey: One Man and His Ass on a Pilgrimage to Santiago (Hardcover)
Tim Moore decides to walk the Camino de Santiago in northern Spain, but does not want to carry a rucksack. Instead, he decides to take a donkey to do the carrying for him, despite never having been up close to a donkey before. Anyone who remembers the stubborn, placid nature of these creatures can see right off that this is a crazy idea, but Tim sees it through with method and determination. First, he has to find his donkey, and get it to the start of his camino in Roncesvalles. His adventures persuading the donkey to follow him on the camino are too many and too funny to summarise here. I made sure to read this book only at home, i.e. not on the bus, so that I could laugh out loud and re-read the best bits as often as I needed to. As well as adventures with the animal, Tim enjoys his encounters with the other pilgrims, who are kind, epigrammatic and daft in the combinations we pilgrims expect. Tim breaks up the story with summaries of the history of the Camino, which are not overly reverent. He does not pay much attention to the spiritual side of the camino, shredding Shirley Maclaine and the "guffmeister", Paulo Coelho.

I read this book after I'd spent two weeks walking part of the Camino de Santiago, so was delighted to recognise the places and some of the characters in this book. His stories of staying in refugios and meeting other pilgrims along the way ring absolutely true, and no one could make up the stories of donkey care and persuasion. I wish I'd met Tim on my pilgrimage, as I'm sure he'd have had the whole room laughing.
Travels with My Donkey: One Man and His Ass on a Pilgrimage to Santiago

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 16 Oct. 2014
What an entertaining record of the pilgrims trail to Santiago de Compostella.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great service, 21 Mar. 2014
I bought the book for a friend abroad. It was delivered to his home in Strasbourg. Spot on. No hassle. No worries.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not my thing?, 19 Nov. 2009