4.0 out of 5 stars The awakening is on fire
Published on 27 Jun 2007 by Jenny J.J.I.

3.0 out of 5 stars Another buffy rip off
Published on 1 Jun 2006 by G. Read

4.0 out of 5 stars The awakening is on fire, 27 Jun 2007
Wow! Not only does this story have great vampire fight scenes, but the characters' interaction and conflicts are intriguing. "The Awakening" is the second installment of the Vampire Huntress saga and I'm just getting started. I enjoyed "Minion," but I LOVED "The Awakening." The battle between good & evil, laced with the deadly romantic attraction between Neteru and Master Vampire was intoxicating.

We have Damali, Neteru, who is coming onto her own. Her birthday is nearing and so is her vulnerability to the master vampires stalking the Earth. Every demonic creature imaginable is aware of this historical event, but only the vampires have the ability to use it to their evil advantage. Carlos and Damali have always shared a bond, an attraction. Carlos always felt the need to protect Damali...kind of like her guardians. But when opportunity presents itself, can the softhearted drug lord resist. Carlos gets caught up in something that even his arrogant street-wise character can't reverse. The Vampires approach Carlos with a lucrative offer. His decision and actions thereafter can shift the balance between good and evil.

I sat in awe reading this book. I'm a big vampire fan, and the urban spin that Banks weaves into this series mesmerizes me. . I love Carlos. In my opinion, he is the most interesting character. Within him is the ultimate struggle between good and evil. The relationship between Damali and him is so moving.

Banks knows her occult lore and designs some of her own theories to explain the unexplainable. I love her descriptions of the layers of Hell, and the central idea that what you send out is returned to you. Unlike Anita Blake, who says she is a Christian, but we never see her beliefs as a part of her. Damali's deeply rooted beliefs are what make her an ideal vampire huntress. She understands evil, because she truly believes in the ultimate good. Banks delivered constant action, mental stimulation, and tweaked every human sense available. When you pick "The Awakening" up to read, tap off enough time to complete it because once you pick it up, you won't put it back down.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 7 April 2007
Perdimia (Cardiff, Wales) - See all my reviews
This book is the contiunuation of a good series, whilst darker than buffy, it is more realistic than the Anita Blake books have become, if you are looking ofr a series with human characters with doubts and flaws who make mistakes and yet still fight on, then this is the series for you.

3.0 out of 5 stars Another buffy rip off, 1 Jun 2006
G. Read "fangtasia" (Essex UK) - See all my reviews
I love Vampire books, and when I saw this author in a book store I couldn't wait to read it. I was quite disapointed! It took a while to get into the book, and when I did I didn't relate to the characters. The whole story is about a vampire Slayer who is also a singer in a band,...who fight the forces of evil (vampires) who also are a record company. It's the light Vs Dark. The love interest isn't all that interesting either. It's a shame because it had alot of potential to be great, but it ended up being just another 3rd rate Buffy rip off.

The Awakening (Vampire Huntress Legend)
The Awakening (Vampire Huntress Legend) by L. A. Banks (Paperback - 21 Jan 2004)
10.33
Not in stock; order now and we'll deliver when available