Kate Shugak is overwhelmed by gratefulness to the people who rebuilt her cabin after it was destroyed and it is causing her problems. She hates to feel beholden to anyone and has the need to return their generosity by acts of kindness. In a series of very funny scenes the author shows us how irritating and unwelcome Kate's repayment of gratitude is to the recipients. Everyone breathes a sigh of relief when Kate is engaged to travel to Anchorage to look into a murder committed thirty years ago for which someone is still in jail. She becomes involved with the family of the victim, unearths secrets and finds herself in danger when someone feels threatened.

This is an entertaining suspense novel with a complex puzzle at the heart of it and set in a beautifully described landscape. The themes are much deeper than you would expect from the book's opening chapters. What makes the book particularly enjoyable, however, is the people. After a number of novels with Kate as the main character we have come to know and love her - we have been with her in the happy times and particularly in the sad ones. As Kate investigates she is reminded of her dead lover Jack but is also indulging in a flirtation with Jim Chopin. There are some touching and also some very funny scenes as she begins to explore this new relationship.

Best read as part of the novel sequence so that you can properly appreciate the characterisations and references to events in previous books. A high quality suspense novel where the mystery is just part of the enjoyment.
on 26 August 2013
The most important criteria when reading any book is whether the author can hold my attention. I read voraciously and have done so since I was three years old, nearly 60 years now. I've read most of the British Classic authors as well as German, Spanish, Italian, Indian, Japanese, Chinese, and so on. If the grammar and structure is poor, I lose interest. If the plot is wishy washy, I lose interest. If it's salacious or sentimentally romantic, I lose interest. If I find it pompous, verbose or pretentious, I lose interest. If the characters are weakly drawn, I lose interest. Betond that, I'll read almost anything! The Kate Shugak stories have held my interest from the beginning The series is set in Alaska, a place I've never visited nor knew much about. The writng, the lively dialogue, the colourful descriptions of a vast and sparsely populated land and the characters all held my attention and I've thoroughly enjoyed them. A couple at the beginning of the series were a little weak, but overall, I would highly recommend this series. This particular novel was as good a read as I'd come to expect from Dana Stabelow.
on 7 July 2013
I love these books by Dana Stabenow! I have now read 19 of them one after the other as I enjoy the stories so much. She really takes you into life in Alaska both current and in the past which is fascinating, coupled with a good mystery/detective story about Kate Shugak and her dog Mutt which I just love. I will be so sad when I reach the last one and hope she will be writing more.
on 19 November 2013
Considering this is the 14 book in the Kate shugak series, you could easily think that the story line would be a bit tired, but this is not the case, as with the previous 13 books I find it very hard to put the book down. There seems no end to Dana's storytelling. The blossoming relationship between Kate and Jim is very satisfying. More of the same please Dana.
on 15 February 2014
I am a firm fan and love the variety of plots and scenarios Dana keeps coming up with. Her writing is so fluid and expressive that it makes reading a real pleasure and an escape. It even makes me buy a couple of books at time and can't wait for the next instalment . I have even got my sister hooked on Kate Shugak! Thanks Dana - keep them coming!
on 15 May 2016
This a fantastic book, part of a spell binding series by a amazing author. I read the entire series over and over again and have now bought them for my kindle. The paper copies are proudly standing on the shelf, thumbed and loved. Truly an author to recommend.
on 8 July 2013
The Kate Shugak series is officially addictive and this doesn't disappoint in any way. If anything it's raised the bar another notch. All power to your writing arm,Dana Stabenow, and please never tire of devising more Kate!
on 9 March 2013
Dana Stabenow writes fantastic characters, interwoved with great storylines involving crime and the Alaskan outback.
If you love believeable strong female leads, you will love Kate Shugak and her sidekick Mutt..!
on 27 April 2014
Yet again Dana you've not failed.
Up to now I have not had a bad read,
when I get a new book I'm back into the wilderness of Alaska no matter how long it's been since the last book read.
on 8 February 2013
Find her stories of Alaska enthralling always unable to put them down until the end. The plot twist's and turns and I do not always get the culprit until the last minute.