5.0 out of 5 stars But I Only Left It There Yesterday!
This book is brilliant, original, funny and really interesting.
Published on 20 Aug. 2003 by there

2.0 out of 5 stars wacky and unrealistic
Keeps you on the very verge of confusion. Brain feels a little tired, and its only a young adult novel. I'm sure the lack of dialogue was supposed to be a fresh new take but jarred with reality. Celia is extremely unlikeable, but its not clear why, so you just end up feeling bad.
Published 15 months ago by books and a treadmill

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars But I Only Left It There Yesterday!, 20 Aug. 2003
This book is brilliant, original, funny and really interesting.
The book is all about Elizabeth Clarry who lives with her divorced mum and keeps being dragged to dinner with her dad, who prides himself on ordering horrible wine. Celia Buckley, Lizzy's friend has gone away again. As a bit of an eccentric and not a first-timer either, this can only be expected. Lizzy also has been made to write to someone at another school. Her name is Christina and they soon become friends. But do they find Celia and what happens next?
This book has a fair bit of swearing and some stuff that I would say older teens would understand, so I wouldn't exactly recommend it to ten-year-olds as it can be a bit TMI for them. But the humour in this book is large and varied and has had me smiling lots.
A great read.

5.0 out of 5 stars A truly wicked book for all teenagers to relate to, 6 Jan. 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: Feeling Sorry for Celia (Ashbury/Brookfield Books) (Paperback)
this is definitely one of the best books I have ever read. It is so suitably written for teenagers everywhere and makes you feel the emotions that Elizabeth is going through. I found that she made all the characters easy to relate to and the fact that she had so many mixed feelings, anxieties and emotions all jumbling through her at once, being communicated to the reader by forms of letters, was thrilling. I would definitely love to read more books written by Jaclyn Moriarty. Kez.

5.0 out of 5 stars Feeling Sorry For Celia is the perfect book for teen girls., 22 Jun. 2004
By A Customer
I picked up this book in my library because of the bright colors on the cover, but the first page instantly drew me in: the idea of putting a story in letters has always interested me, (dracula, anyone?) and Jaclyn Moriarty formats her book perfectly. I reccomend this to any girl! Liz and Christina are completely real girls, and this book is just as real as them. Read it and enjoy! If you're a fan, you should check out livejournal.com/~sorryforcelia, the first community for Moriarty's fans.

5.0 out of 5 stars Feeling Sorry For Celia, 21 Jun. 2006
This book was a really good book written in letter form. Some people don't actually manage to carry off writing in letters very well, but Jaclyn Moriarty was done this EXTREMELY well. I reccomend it. It is about a girl who writes letters to another girl at a different school for an English project. In these letters, they become better friends and share stuff with each other that they don't share with anyone else.

5.0 out of 5 stars What i think about the great book, feeling sorry for Celia, 4 April 2001
This book is mind blowingly good. One of those books that you can sit and read for hours, and everything else is put on hold for it. I read this in an empty bath for 4 hours, and never got bored. I honestly think this is the best book in thw world It is written in such a clever refreshing way, it just buzzes brilliance.

5.0 out of 5 stars Original and Funny with easy-to-relate-to Characters, 11 Feb. 2002
By A Customer
Written in the form of lettters, Jaclyn Moriarty's 'Feeling Sorry for Celia' is an extremely funny book with Characters that are easy to relate to.

The story is centered around 15 year old Elizabeth Clarry. Elizabeths supposed 'Best Friend', Celia Buckly, cannot stay in one place for much longer than five minutes. She always seems to be running away and getting herself into difficult situations. When she decides to join a Circus, and gets more than she bargained for, its up to Elizabeth, and her rather nice male friend Saxon to rescue her. However, its not long before Celia is off again, to get into even more adventurous and dangerous scrapes, so the moral support given to Elizabeth by her new pen-friend, Christina is much needed!
I am yet to find a teenage girl who hasn't thoroughly en joyed reading 'Feeling Sorry for Celia'. Its original and hilarious style definately had me in stitches! However, I think that certain parts of this book may not be suitable for readers under the age of eleven or twelve.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great book, 6 Mar. 2007
I have very recently read 'Feeling Sorry for Celia' and enjyed it so much that i am currently trying to start a pen pal sort of thing between my own school and a school a friend of mine attends. I found it funny, but it also played on my emotions, allowing me to feel the same way as Liz, even before i had read it. i really enjoyed this book, as i said, and am currently reading finding cassie crazy which seems to be a similar sucsess. i really enjoyed Jaclyn's style of writing, which is joking but deep at the same time. This is a great book that i would recommend to anyone.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Original, 20 Jan. 2008
This book is just pure brilliant.
Written in the form of letters - mostly from Liz's subconcious to herself as various clubs and associations - it is witty, original and absolutely hilarious.
Liz and Kristina (Liz's new penpal, from a public school) are so easy to connect to. I think the only thing that annoyed me was Liz's mother, who, while very with her farfetched notes for Liz, was an un-believeable character that didn't quite seem to fit into the normal world.
I definitely recommend Feeling Sorry for Celia, Finding Cassie Crazy and Becoming Bindy Mackenzie to anyone who enjoys an original, lighthearted writing style.
I look forward to more from Jaclyn Moriarty soon

5.0 out of 5 stars NOT Jacqueline Wilson: excellent, 27 Dec. 2009
A. E. Chambers (Cornwall) - See all my reviews
One of my favourite books aged twelve, one of my favourite books today.

The heroine's really, really funny, as are the characters who surround her. The story comes as a series of 'notes-to-self' and letters from people - the perfect way to show how confusing and fractured being a teenager can be - and how vitally important every facet of self and every friend actually is as you grow up.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of my all-time favourite books, 20 May 2012
Ms. H. Hughes (wales, UK) - See all my reviews
In the normal scheme of things, I probably never would have read this book. When I was a teenager myself, I was too busy reading Stephen King and James Herbert to even consider a book like this. However, a few years ago when I was in my early twenties, my aunty came to visit from Australia and brought along a few second-hand books with her. As I'll read anything if it sits still for long enough, I ended up taking this book home, fully expecting not to like it at all.

But - oh God - I loved it. And I *loved* Elizabeth Clarry. In fact, if I *had* read this book when I was a teenager, I reckon it would have helped me a lot, as pretty much all the feelings that Elizabeth has (especially those that come courtesy of 'The Association of Teenagers') are feelings that I had at one time or another. The author has captured teenage insecurity so well and via such a clever method (I loved the epistolatory style of this book).

If I ever have a daughter, I am going to make sure she reads this book when she hits about 12 years old :)

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Feeling Sorry for Celia (Ashbury/Brookfield Books)
Feeling Sorry for Celia (Ashbury/Brookfield Books) by Jaclyn Moriarty (Paperback - Jan. 2002)
Used & New from: £0.01