5.0 out of 5 stars Cant't get out on the water? Read this book., 12 Feb. 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: From a Wooden Canoe (Hardcover)
This is not a "how to" book. It's a charming read, full of warmth. Maybe Dennis is the Gierach of the canoeing world? It's short chapters make it perfect for bedtime reading, I drifted off with thoughts of sunsets over stillwater, slowly paddling across a small mountain lake lined with spruce.
I didn't need much persuading but I had to buy a canoe after I read this. Now in my 40's and having done a bit of kayaking as a boy I was looking for, what I considered to be, a more dignified way of getting afloat. The book was recommended by Amazon probably because of all the other US outdoor reading I have previously purchased. I did not regret it.
If you can't get out on the water, or even if you can, read this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars A superb collection of wisdom, 7 Mar. 2010
This review is from: From a Wooden Canoe: Reflections on Canoeing, Camping, and Classic Equipment (Paperback)
Jerry Dennis knows exactly which things in life have value, and this collection of superb essays celebrates just a few of them. The writing style is excellent, with a pleasant balance of comedy and reverie, and Jerry knows precisely how to craft language to suit the intended mood.

If you like to wander down silent rivers, if you'd prefer to choose a cast iron skillet over an aluminium one, if you like things that don't change, then this book could well be for you. I certainly couldn't put it down.

5.0 out of 5 stars Short stories that any outdoor person can relate to., 18 Feb. 2013
A lovely set of short stories that I am sure many people that venture outdoors can relate to.
The rain that never seems to stop.
The adventures into new places.
The gear we must have but don't need.
and many more.