on 25 August 2010
Having read the also excellent 'Britain, Poland and the Eastern Front, 1939' by the same author, I was not surprised to find 'Eastern Europe and the Origins of the Second World War' an outstanding summary of Eastern Europe on the eve of World War II. Though there are certainly more detailed accounts on each of the countries included in this book (after all this is a short overview) I find this the best one-volume on the subject. The strength of the book lies not just in the author's very good style and knowledge of the area and times but in an amazing capacity to use what I consider the most relevant bibliography for each country.

Truly amazing as a summary, I warmly recommend this short book to anyone interested in the origins of the Second World War and the rivalries and alliances of the East European countries in the interwar period and their relationship with the Big Powers.