5.0 out of 5 stars THIS IS THE THINKING PERSON'S GUIDE TO OPTIMUM HEALTH!
Published on 16 Jun. 1999

2.0 out of 5 stars Very repetitive
You can get almost all the useful information in the first chapter. the science is explained quite well. then it just says the same thing in several different ways. There are much better alternatives on the market
Published on 17 Sept. 2012 by AngieH

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars THIS IS THE THINKING PERSON'S GUIDE TO OPTIMUM HEALTH!, 16 Jun. 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: Fasting--and Eating--for Health: A Medical Doctor's Program for Conquering Disease (Paperback)
In March of 1999 my 40 year old wife was diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis. I had read Dr. Fuhrman's book a year before and remembered that this disease could be treated with fasting. I read the book again and then convinced my wife to read it. We were seeing a rheumatologist after the initial diagnosis who only offered up the conventional remedies such as prednisone. When I asked this doctor about a therapeutic fast she thought I had lost my mind. My wife tried drug therapy for about two weeks and then decided that we had nothing to lose but a few pounds! She weened herself from prednisone and the pain came roaring back. She made arrangements to fast at Dr. Furhman's clinic and did so for 12 days. The pain and symptoms are gone! This book has changed our lives. Life is about common sense and making the right choices! I'm just glad that I made the choice to read this book! God has blessed us.

4.0 out of 5 stars An informative look at the our diet and its effect on health, 3 Mar. 2004
L. Williams (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Its a great book, I've read it cover to cover to make sure I get all the facts right. It really makes you take a look at the food you used to eat and think was good for you. I bought the book to find a healthier way of eating because I'd always get stomach cramps and this book offered a natural way to combat this. It all basically makes sense that we should eat plant based foods but this book really hits home the problems that no one seems to realise is associated with eating processed foods and meats.
The only reason I knocked a star off, is because its really American. I mean I know the guy that wrote it is American so he refers to the American diet all the time but its also a tad repetitive, and uses obvious examples as if he thinks by giving someone a name its evidence his diet works.
It's really hard to convert quickly to a plant based diet as you have to almost re-educate yourself. I've been trying for a couple of weeks now so I can't tell you the long term benfits but I feel much better snaking on fruit than I do chocolate which now makes me feel a bit sick.
So if you want an informative book that gives you hard evidence as opposed to the quick fix miracle cure I would definitely recommend this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars The ultimate book that covers every part of fasting & health, 29 July 1998
By A Customer
I have read every book I can find on fasting. This book is by far the best resource on fasting and proper eating than any other book I can find concerning this subject. This book has all their medical information backed up with references. I personally have followed their advice and have lost 26 pounds in 24 days and never felt better. Don't pass up this book unless you're not serious about fasting or losing weight.

4.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommended for those seeking better health., 15 April 1998
By A Customer
If you have ever suspected that the human body is able to reach ever better health, and that our lifestyles might just be the root of our problems, then this book is a must read. Dr. Fuhrman sets out in simple terms the path to better health, without the pills and surgery so over-used in traditional medical practices. An easy read that can change your attitude toward the source of health.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very encouraging, not so methodical, 24 Aug. 2011
This book is thoroughly documented, with a detailed scholarly bibliography, without feeling scholarly burdened at all, hence that it reads very easily while at the same time feeling authoritative. I only find that if you want to go ahead and fast, as the book compels you to, then it offers little specific methodic guidelines, referring mostly to "what has been done in the clinic", "when I treated this or that patient". Of course these books are not meant to be guides for self healing, but you would expect none the less a few more details, like possible, or recommended, fasting programmes.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fasting and Eating, 8 Jun. 2012
Normand Hamel "Normand Hamel" (Brownsburg-Chatham, Québec) - See all my reviews
I remember the time when I met an old friend I had not seen for more than twenty years. I was shocked to see how slim he was today compared to the time I had first known him. Because when he was a young adult he was already obese, I asked him if he had been recently on a diet or something. He said he hadn't done anything special: "I just eat less, that's all."

I recount this story because when I read "Fasting and Eating for Life" I was struck by the following sentence: "For the majority of people, being overweight is not caused by how much they eat, but by what they eat." Personally I believe both are true. One does not have to exclude the other. How much you eat is just as important as what you eat.

Another sentence that struck me is: "If you wish to commit suicide with food, killing yourself as quickly as possible with a heart attack, cancer, or stroke, focus your diet on fat-based foods such as meats, most dairy products, vegetable oils, and salad dressings rather than on fruits and vegetables - the complex carbohydrates." This completely ignores the typical European diets, and in many other parts of the world, which are relatively rich in good fats like olive oil for example, but where there are also very few obese people and a generally healthier population with less heart diseases and cancer mortalities. That statement is also contradicted by more recent studies on fat that have pushed the medical community to reevaluate its recommendations in terms of fat consumption. These studies have revealed that among the various fat sources that are available the majority of them are not as harmful as previously thought. What is important to understand is that it is mainly the trans-fats that are damaging.

The main reason I bought this book in the first place was to learn more about fasting for body cleansing. I had previously read the work of H.M. Shelton on fasting and was looking for a more up to date work on the subject. But in that respect I was disappointed. Like many other reviewers have already mentioned this book contains few informations about the fasting process itself. It mainly focusses on diseases which can be cured by fasting. Unfortunately it does not say much about how to conduct a fast, or what to expect when fasting. And the information given can be questionable at times. Take the following sentence for example: "I advise against sunbathing as the fast is already dehydrating". Further on the author says "Since fasting is mildly dehydrating I do not encourage sunbathing or hot baths during the fast." It is a good advice in regards to hot baths, which can indeed cause dehydration. But sun bathing remains a good opportunity to take some vitamins in and is a natural source of energy. If done with moderation, with small exposures each day, it can help the patient to better support the fasting and make it a more pleasurable experience. Especially in northern regions where there might already be a lack of sunlight available. But down south where the sun can some times be very intense caution should be exercise.

This book is not particularly well written and is not well organized. If there is an updated edition some day, which is a bit overdue in my opinion, I hope the editor will do a better job. The merit of this book is that it offers a valuable source of informations that can be used by people who are afflicted by a serious disease and who could improve their medical condition by fasting. That is what this book is all about.

5.0 out of 5 stars A radical view, 11 Jun. 2003
michael f eichner (Ashurst Wood, West Sussex United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I was inspired by this book to go on a three week water fast, and found it to be easy and very beneficial for a number of health problems I had (which I wont bore you with).
I would recommend this book totally, but watch out for negative reactions from friends and relations if you decide to fast, as the subject seems to raise issues of fear in some people, including some doctors

5.0 out of 5 stars Started me on the road to health - pivotal read, 14 May 2013
Dr Fuhrman does a fantastic job at referencing all his assertions or suggestions from the original sources (almost exclusively peer reviewed medical publications,) which I find sets him apart from most others at the outset. Secondly, it is incredibly informative. Unsure why anyone has criticised the book - I did a nine day water fast directly following reading this a year ago, and have seen a huge impact and change in chronic symtoms I was suffering with (high blood pressure, joint pain, breathlessness.) Following the fast, I've followed his advice on eating (see his other books) and have continued to live well (and better and better.)

This has been a pivotal read for me - I'm not quick to trust authors who tout themselves as experts, but, Dr Fuhrman's advice works, and he is qualified to give it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book showing compelling evidence for the benefits of fasting, 9 Nov. 2014
Excellent book showing compelling evidence for the benefits of fasting.
Tried 24 hours a couple of times so far and felt it was great for re-setting taste, hunger and for boosting self control.

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential Reading, 30 Jun. 2015
A. Hughes (Wales UK) - See all my reviews
Highly recommended. Makes me preachy to my friends, but I think they need to know. I think everyone needs to know how to get rid of sickness, why wouldn't you? A great guide, Essential reading.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›