on 31 December 2006
All the elements of an Octavia Butler novel that make her one of my favourite authors: Set in a Mad Max type landscape, the harbingers of a new order try and retain their humanity. This is classic Butler exploring the race issue from a new angle. One of her first novels - I can see the seeds of her later novels. Sadly Octavia E Butler died last year - so there'll be no more of her genius, but if you enjoy this offering you'll certainly want to read the rest of her work because she just gets better and better.
on 28 July 2005
One of my favourite books, one I go back to again and again. Yes, it is bloody. Yes, it is violent. But it is also gripping, well written, and a book that makes you think about how our not-too-distant future might turn out. An intelligent alien invaders story with a twist, which is told from two different, but converging points in time. I highly recommend this book.
on 24 October 2012
This is a great novel, set over maybe a week a couple of days, This book could easily be a successful cult low budget movie and I am wondering why no one has tried up till now.

The story follows a father and his two daughters who are off on a trip and get abducted by strangers. The strangers look sick and take them back to their 'village' where everyone else looks just as ill. One of the daughters has Leukemia and it's not clear whether she will survive the ordeal, but the strangers seem pretty tolerant...until they explain to their captures the reason for their abduction.

The novel delves into the past as well as the present throughout the novel and it works tremendously. I would highly recommend this novel to anyone who hasn't read any of Octavia Butler's work but is wondering which book to try first.

Anyone who reads this book will not be disappointing, it's a page turner and a half.
Perhaps Butler must establish a concept before she really gets going with it in sequels. It is another mark of the great depth of her imaginative powers, which surpass any scifi writer that I know.

I did not get into the characters of the Clayarks as much as her other characters. This novel seemed more labored than her other efforts, thinner, much as Dawn inaugurated her mutagensis series.

It is only later that the true depth and elegance of her vision comes out.
on 17 October 2015
Not what I expected but still a good story