5.0 out of 5 stars painful and honest
This is a fascinating book. It is about the loss of Morrison's father to cancer at the age of 75. He was diagnosed late and died within four weeks of diagnosis. The book swings between memoirs of Morrison's time with his father as a child and at other key points in his life, interspersed with narrative of the last four weeks, and the funeral afterwards.
This...
Published on 24 Jan. 2008 by Mrs. K. A. Wheatley

2.0 out of 5 stars Uncomfortable to read, uncomfortable to review
Unlike most reviews I write in which I more or less say whether or not I like the book, this review proved extraordinarily difficult to write. It's a Life Memoir, a biography/autobiography of a man, Blake Morrison and his father Arthur. In criticising a life memoir you are essentially criticising the author themselves, I suppose.

Before I read it I felt like I...
Published on 22 Jan. 2013 by R. A. Davison

‹ Previous | 14 5 6 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars For male insight, 11 Dec. 2014
Fantastic read, every male should find this hits a chord with them

5.0 out of 5 stars Good entertainment too, 18 Mar. 2015
Very moving tale. Good entertainment too.

2.0 out of 5 stars His mother keeps the book in the wardrobe, 24 Dec. 2009
Eileen Shaw "Kokoschka's_cat" (Leeds, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Morrison seems endlessly fascinated by his own rather unremarkable past (though I do genuinely love his poetry) and this book reworks most of the material he put into his memoir of his mother, Things My Mother Never Told Me. It is the same story, after all, and one feels sorry for the mother in particular, who, we learn, keeps this memoir in the wardrobe, not out on the shelves with her son's other books. This book rehashes the illicit affair Morrison's father had with "Aunt Beatty", and his mother was understandably dismissive of much of the detail, which, in her opinion, was hardly worth remembering. Morrison dug it up for this book (which makes it a twice repeated tale). There is nothing in this book that wasn't also in Things My Mother Never Told Me, which at least had the virtue of being about a woman who had to struggle in her early years to be accepted at medical school. Being a woman and a doctor was sufficiently rare in those days to be of considerable interest.

Morrison is a good writer but he's done this tale to death. Morrison's father does not seem a particularly likeable man either in this account, or the earlier book and much of his life seems to have been fairly hum-drum. I can't be alone in feeling that my own parents' unique story, just as full of embarrassments, is one that the great reading public would naturally greet with indifference. If only Morrison had felt the same.

1.0 out of 5 stars I wanted to read it as the Father in the book sounded a lot like my Dad, 4 Dec. 2014
This review is from: And When Did You Last See Your Father (Hardcover)
I heard about this book on the radio . I wanted to read it as the Father in the book sounded a lot like my Dad .
I thought it was going to focus on his life and character but it actually focuses on his death and the impact
on him and his family. I have not finished the book and not sure if I will return to it some time in the future. I found it truly depressing and not the celebration of the life of a real character as he definitely was

5.0 out of 5 stars A Good read, 14 Jan. 2013
M. Hippey (UK) - See all my reviews
I thoroughly enjoyed this book, I would urge any son to read it and fathers to buy a copy for their sons.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 23 Jan. 2015
brilliant

5.0 out of 5 stars Not read it!, 22 Mar. 2009
A. Bogie "mamaboogs" (UK) - See all my reviews
Bought this for my dad as my mum was in the movie but Dad didn't make the final cut :o( In the restaurant scene (filmed at Flintham Village Hall, near Newark in Notts) apparently you can see the back of Mum's head!!! I believe the book is better though.

2.0 out of 5 stars It seems yo go on and on o a theme which is quite mórbida and a bit boring. It could be beaterías if there was some relieve., 24 May 2013
It seems to go on and on and there is little relieve from the drediness of it all, the death and the past which seems already quite dead. If we knew some more about the son or something which may lead us to a more positive look it may help. However I have not finished it so it may help ahead.

4.0 out of 5 stars Strangely Compelling, 27 Sept. 2014
I liked this book a lot, can't put my finger on why. I suppose it said things that resonate with me

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Father's Day gift., 3 July 2014
Good read.

‹ Previous | 14 5 6 | Next ›

And When Did You Last See Your Father
And When Did You Last See Your Father by Blake Morrison (Hardcover - Jun. 1995)
Used & New from: £1.53