4.0 out of 5 stars The life and death of an ordinary man
Arthur Morrison was not a famous man, except perhaps in the small Lancashire village of Earby where he had a doctors practice for many years. This excellent book reminds us that you don't have to be famous or to have performed any extra-ordinary feats to have a story that is worth telling.

The book, written by his son, tells of how Dr Morrisons life slowly...
Published on 14 Dec 2006 by Bantam Dave

2.0 out of 5 stars Uncomfortable to read, uncomfortable to review
Unlike most reviews I write in which I more or less say whether or not I like the book, this review proved extraordinarily difficult to write. It's a Life Memoir, a biography/autobiography of a man, Blake Morrison and his father Arthur. In criticising a life memoir you are essentially criticising the author themselves, I suppose.

Before I read it I felt like I...
Published 18 months ago by R. A. Davison

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautifully written memoir, 16 April 2009
J. Holland "geekygirl" (London) - See all my reviews
I thought this book was a very honest and raw account of dealing with your parents ageing and your roles ultimately reversing. Sometimes, Blake Morrison's writing is so bare and insightful it makes you slightly uncomfortable as you are offered a front row seat to his Fathers demise and death but always retains enough poetry in his prose to make even the bleakest of moments tinged with a tragic beauty.
Unafraid to share memories that paint him in a less than flattering light, Blake Morrison has achieved a very rare type of memoir, with no saccharine tendency's or obvious pulls on your heart strings, he offers his account of his fathers death with a Yorkshire mans bluntness and a writers soul.

5.0 out of 5 stars Life changing literature, 7 Jan 2008
Whilst Morrisons work is a wonderful tribute to his fathers life - good and bad, this books main achievement is to make all of us children of a 'certain age' to sit down and re-evaluate our relationship with our parents, and drives us to cherish the time we have together, as life is painfully short.

5.0 out of 5 stars Words can't describe, 2 July 2001
By A Customer
Possibly the best book I've ever read in my life. I have read it so many times, yet each time I do, it's like a new book over again. Blake Morrison's fantastic book saved me through the death of my grandad in more or less exact circumstances to that of Blake Morrison's father. An unbelievably comforting book.

5.0 out of 5 stars VERY THOUGHT PROVOKING, 30 April 2014
Well written book,made me think of my own dad , who died four years ago ,really enjoyed it.recommended to anyone

4.0 out of 5 stars Sadness..., 2 Nov 2013
My Father died at home with a similar illness, the descriptions of the realities of it all where accurate rather than glossing over it.... The Father sounded like a lovely man & Dad... I wonder how the Authors wife felt about it all he seemed a bit selfish however I do accept that we all grieve differently....

5.0 out of 5 stars STORY AND DEATH OF AN ORDINARY YORKSHIRE DOCTOR, 18 April 2013
In the ordinary course of life one would have certainly known nothing about the life of Arthur Morrison,and more importantly his death and the aftermarth,if a book had not been written by his son Blake Morrison.I found the book moving,sad,emotional,well written and enjoyable. It certainly made me think about my father who died 13 years ago.Many people experience the same emotions and frustrations as Blake Morrison did-frustration, cringing embarassment,love,lack of understanding and regret after their death. Blake Morrison writes well about his father dying days,which is interspersed with reminescences about his father, and admissions of hs own.
I enjoyed the book greatly,and felt that it seems marvellous that a book can be written about someone who we do not know or have even heard off,and yet at the same time we know so well,and can create such emotions.

5.0 out of 5 stars very readable, 2 Dec 2005
I really enjoyed reading this book. It was very easy to get into and very readable. After reading AS IF also by Blake Morrision (which I also enjoyed) I was interested to read this book. It is a honest, funny yet sad collection of memories and free narrative about his fathers life, death and the authors own feelings and thoughts about both. An easy, enjoyable read...but also very sad

5.0 out of 5 stars Stupendo!, 25 Mar 2003
mrs ann williams (nelson, Lancs United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I could not put this book down. Ihave chosen it for my book club to read next month. We take it in turns to have people round for a meal and we are not supposed to read the book first. I've cheated! I have meant to read it for years, as when we first came to Pendle we lived in Earby and I remember meeting Dr Morrison when he examined me at the surgery. He told me my problem was water retention and I should drink more water to cure it! I read everything Blake Morrison writes in the guardian and shall look forward to reading his mother's story when it comes out in paperback on April 1st.

5.0 out of 5 stars Compulsory reading if your father has died, 26 May 2001
I read this book, like many others have, not long after my own father died. I was stunned by the shared experiences. Things I would not have thought about without the experience... why does his hair keep growing when the rest of his body has stopped, hasn't the rest of his body told his hair to die? This book made me realise that I was not the first person in the world to go through this rite of passage.

5.0 out of 5 stars The only book worth reading at University, 14 Sep 2000
By A Customer
Having this book on the reading list at Uni meant that I read it with much trepidation. However, once started I couldn't leave it. The only problem I had was reading through my tears. For me it brought out the dread and terror I feel at the thought of losing a parent. Morrison visited the college and turned out to be as honest and open as his book suggests.

And When Did You Last See Your Father
And When Did You Last See Your Father by Blake Morrison (Hardcover - Jun 1995)
Used & New from: 0.17