5.0 out of 5 stars ...One of the most insightful books I've ever read
Published on 2 Aug 2002 by Dr. Stephen J. Wooding

2.0 out of 5 stars How you should not argue in order to win
Published 5 months ago by Bent A

5.0 out of 5 stars ...One of the most insightful books I've ever read, 2 Aug 2002
Dr. Stephen J. Wooding "Trainer, Teacher" (Liverpool, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
I must admit to having begun this book with some skepticism. But now I have to say this is probably one of the most insightful books I've ever read. This book is not about argument per se - it's about communicating your point of view in a clear way that can be understood at all levels by your listeners - intellectual and emotional levels, and about listening to and interacting with 'the other'. I am not overstating the case if I say that I found wisdom on almost every single page - the rare wisdom that comes from learning from one's own life and the life of others. Read it. The read it again.
(One downer is that this particular printing isn't very good quality - look for the earlier editions.)

5.0 out of 5 stars Not what it sounds like in the title., 7 Aug 2009
Dr. Stephen Smith (Belfast, Ireland.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: How to Argue and Win Every Time: At Home, at Work, in Court, Everywhere (Hardcover)
How to Argue and Win Every Time: At Home, at Work, in Court, Everywhere, Every Day

Don't buy this book if you just want to win every argument.
BUT Do buy this book if you want to understand when it is appropriate to argue and (if so) how to go about it in a morally justified way.
I don't trust lawyers generally but I think I would trust Gerry Spence.

5.0 out of 5 stars "soul of an arument", 29 July 2013
Before debating, arguing or just plain communicating you might find yourself in a area of disagreement. Humans normally find themselves in this situation. With limited avenues and misdirection I would normally find myself after the disagreement unsatisfied. In my hunt for tips and hints on on how to better myself and get what I want research pointed towards this book.

I do not read that much so it was important to find a easy read so I'd finish it. I'm glad to recommend this book to anybody who wants to better themselves in the verbal area. I now understand more about others and also myself after reading this. Gerry awaken my senses by approaching various areas with humor and entertainment.

Thank you Gerry Spence as I'm sure you've helped me set the stage for future arguments with the many people who will come into my life.

5.0 out of 5 stars A GIFT, 30 April 2009
Eichrodt John (Mulhouse France) - See all my reviews
Spence has done us an enormous favour by sharing with us 40 years of experience, deeply personal strategies, and a sense of optimism coupled with skills that could be beneficial to many readers looking for ways to make sense of their lives and arguments.

John Eichrodt
France

2.0 out of 5 stars How you should not argue in order to win, 6 Mar 2014
This is really an odd book, especially when considering it is written by a famous American trial lawyer. First, reading this book doesn't teach you how to argue. Only a little bit. But is sure gives the author time to brag about his courtroom winnings. How to argue, the structure of a good argument, and information about logical fallacies are not treated at all. Rather, it's the other way round. The book is marred by logical fallacies! Thus - most probably - buying this book will disappoint you. But if you are looking for exaggerations and fun reading, the book, in its own hilarious way, is to a certain extend fun to read. Some times. But I laughed more often AT the author than WITH the author.

If the book cover hadn't told me that the author is a famous trial lawyer, then, if someone had told me this after I had read it, I doubt I would have believed him. Why? Because there are so many silly arguments in this book! And a trial lawyer should argue intelligently and coherently, shouldn't he? Or to put it another way: I really don't hope that it is this way of arguing that has caused Spence to win courtroom cases. That would be scaring! Then I would have to lose my belief in the American jury system.

An example: His environmental views, revealed in the book, I can only view as both absurd and, at times, fanatical. Obviously, trees and habitats can neither think nor feel anything, like happiness or despair. A pine cannot feel or be proud! A whole forest cannot "suddenly" be "gripped by fear". But baffling enough, this is precisely what Spence claims. He even argued like this in a courtroom case. Why didn't the jury just laugh? What kind of absurd ontology does Spence believe in? This is perhaps one of the worst parts of the book, but again and again he comes with arguments and claims that only can be regarded as outright absurd.

How to Argue and Win Every Time: At Home, at Work, in Court, Everywhere