on 22 August 1997
"Mothers in the Fatherland" the title alone strikes a chord for women's historical song, especially for those interested in the land of Bach and Beethoven. I was so looking forward to Claudia Koonz introducing me to the unknown women of Nazi Germany and in that she did not disappoint me. Koonz introduces the reader to a montage of women from her interviews with Nazi leader, Gertrud Scholtz-Klink to concentration camp survivor, Frau Dr. Jolana Roth. Koonz's presentation of Protestant, Catholic and Jewish women adds to the understanding of the woman's role during the Third Reich. With all of it's wealth of knowledge, do not expect this to be an easy read. At times, the book's molasses-like flow bogs down the reader with contrasting statements, vagueness and repetitiveness. Even with these disadvantages, I would strongly recommend the book for the serious feminist or German historian.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Thank you for your feedback.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
on 31 March 1998
Out of personal interest (family members were executed by Nazi military--they weren't Jewish but they were poor--i.e. undesirables) I wanted to read this book. It is the history that American(I grew up there)kids should be taught. It is real life men and women from pre-Nazi to post-Nazi Germany, their fears motives, politics and secrets. The fascist empire that was Nazi Germany could well happen in the US yet. This book should be taken very seriously before we forget what happened.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Thank you for your feedback.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again