on 6 June 2012
I have used the Life Application NIV bible for years as the textual notes/profiles etc make understanding the bible so much easier, but it is a huge and heavy book to lug around. I got a Kindle 9 months ago and love it, so naturally, the opportunity to combine the two was irresisitable...even at over £16. I had concerns that the navigation facility would be difficult and slow as the sample I downloaded did not allow exploration of this but this is not the case. I use a one-year reading system, so at one sitting I go from Old Testament, to New Testament, then Psalms and then Proverbs and although to get from one book to another requires going to the contents table, this can be done quickly. The links to the notes for each verse is one touch back and forth and as easy to use as the paper version, I am very pleased with this. An added bonus with the kindle version is the ability to one touch click to any cross ref. With the paper version, this would require manually looking it up. There is no search facility to take you directly to a given book & verse but as stated before, the navigation via the contents table is quick and takes me no longer than flicking through the books in the paper version. The only downside I have found is that the timelines and maps don't work at all! This is not a major issue for me as I rarely use them and still have the paper version if I need them. The convienience of having all this information in such a portable form has made this well worth the money for me.
on 7 January 2010
I'm really pleased with my paperback version.

Its easy to read with lots of helpful commentary. My pages aren't stuck together tightly as someone else was complaining about. Its not fancy - but it has spaces for a family tree and other family information. I just wish I had bought the hardback version as the cover is beginning to look a little tatty with use - but I guess it is better to have a bible that is worn and loved than one in pristine condition that has barely been looked at.

All in all, a lovely bible but I would defo recommend getting the hardback version if you are going to use your bible frequently.
on 20 February 1999
Growing up with, and preferring the accuracy and poetry of the KJV, then finding the surprisingly more accurate Holy Bible From the Ancient Eastern Text (George M. Lamsa's Translation from the Aramaic of the Peshitta), I never liked and trusted another Bible translation until I read the NIV Life Application Study Bible. With it's contemporary written style and it's 10,000+ footnotes (and subject-index to them all), this Bible makes clear the Words of God in a fresh way never before possible: bringing to light passages that neither I nor even leaders in my church knew the real meanings of before. With over 100 profiles of Bible persons, 200+ maps, 260+ charts, an exhaustive cross-referencing system in the margins to help you quickly find related passages, book introductions, and much more, this Bible is a supreme joy to study! New and veteran Christians -anyone- will be thrilled to learn and understand much more of God's Word by this Book with it's study helps all throughout. (Most pages are 1/2 - 3/4 of study notes!) If I were to have only one Bible, this would be it. An immense Bible-learning treasure!
on 1 August 2009
I was presented with a hard back edition of this Bible in 2001. The one on review was bought for my son who was serving in Afghanistan at the time. The actual written review is his:

1. Packaging

Excellent. No damage whatsoever - even though received in a war zone!

2. Binding

Very good quality. Built to last.

3. Quality of print

Good. Consistent throughout and well laid out. Ideal size font.

4. Commentaries

Extremely helpful and theologically balanced for a newcomer to Bible study.
on 13 October 2002
I first bought this Bible when I first became a Christian ten years ago when this was first brought out.
It was in this Bible that I first learnt the great Christian doctrines of the Trinity, justification by faith, salvation by grace etc.
One thing I also like is that it comes in many different translations such the NKJV, the NIV and even the AV.
A good buy for anyone, especially those just starting on the path of Christ.
on 2 May 1999
I have used the Life Application Bible for at least 8 years and I think is a good bible for both new and old christians. It helps me see the scripture and how I can apply it to my life. It gives a lot of resource information to help when I teach Sunday School or a Bible Study. I recommend it in both the NIV and the KJV.
on 21 April 2008
I own a lot of bibles including study ones, but this by far is the best. The notes are very easy to read and understand. You can see why this is called life application - already I've been challenged by some passages which although I've read before, read in conjunction with the notes - wow!
I would highly recommend this bible.
on 4 December 2010
I bought this version of the Bible for my sister as a birthday present. She has recently come back to God and I wanted to get her a modern Bible with a study guide. This is one that I'd bought myself last year and I thought it would be ideal for her. She was thrilled with it!
on 25 October 2014
This is a great edition of the bible, for all the reasons outlined by other reviewers. However, like jeannius, I ordered the English version, published by Hodder and Stoughton, and was sent the American version, published by Zondervan and Tyndale. The actual text is, I think, the same, but the explanatory notes use Americanisms.
I highly recommend the NIV version of the bible, but if you want the English version, then it would seem you would be ill advised to order it from Amazon-evidence suggests you might not get what you order.
44 comments|12 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 19 March 2010
My husband had problems with reading his old Bible, so I started to look on a different version of it, more practical, and one that gives explanatory text within more complicated story's. I stopped to this one, and he approved few days later after comparing with other Bibles his friends have.

It is more expensive, actually very expensive but worth it, it comes in a beautiful package, and the cover is beautiful leather, the print is large and the text very helpful, so we pay for two qualities which others do not have. Saying that, who ever get this bible has to take care with the pages, are very thin and fragile, is not a book that you can throw about, it needs care as the subject of it is, sensitive.