Format: Hardcover|Change

on 11 January 2011
This Children's Bible is an inspired work, from start to finish (although I'm a granddad, I loved it).
A clear understanding of both Old and New Testaments makes it child's play!

1) The illustrations by Jago are well adapted for young children; colourful, humorous, non-threatening, inviting.
2) David Suchet's voice on the 3CDs is perfect: the intonation, the meaning given, all warms one's heart.
3) Sally Lloyd-Jones must be world-renowned for this work: it is a masterpiece. No matter what your beliefs, stop awhile and listen. Here is Good News.

The way Sally weaves Jesus into the Old Testament stories was the most inspiring element for me. Old became New, and suddenly made sense.
She also avoids genealogy lists, violence, and grown-up sins. This makes it more acceptable for younger readers.

I love the book. I love the 3 CD's. I highly recommend this work. Buy it as a present, for anyone: 3 year olds, grandfather, and everyone in-between. I'm going to send this De-Luxe version to my son who is 23. It is the best introduction to the Bible I've ever seen.
on 9 November 2010
What a beautiful book! My son (just turned 4) absolutely loves it and I also love the way the stories are written and presented. We sometimes play the CD whilst playing with toys and at bed time, which settles him to sleep well. We have a few children's Bibles, but this one definitely is my favourite for a child aged 4+.

I have recommended this Bible to the toddler group I help run and we now give them out as gifts when the children turn 3 and leave for Nursery.

Can't recommend this highly enough. The price is great and box set is great quality.
on 5 February 2011
Having been recommended to buy this by a friend, I can say that I am very happy I did! The stories are beautifully and clearly narrated with a strong Christ-centered application to each. The illustrations are lovely and some especially add to the story (e.g. the picture of the Tower of Babel being drawn from a birds-eye-view, showing how God was miles above even this big, huge tower!). It is not your typical children's Bible, either in the way it is written or in which stories are chosen, but I really enjoy reading it to my son.
on 10 April 2010
We LOVE this bible! We actually already had it when we saw the cds available and had to get the cds for all our car journeys and for around the house. We love it! Totally worth a go.
on 4 May 2013
Great buy. Simple bible stories with deep theological tones told and made simple to understand. This is a must have for family with or without children. Highly recommended.
on 21 February 2011
This Bible is well written and illustrated. The way it points to Jesus throughout is wonderful. It has mad me think and my children love the stories.

Great buy and great service from amazon
on 13 June 2010
I have the version that came with the book on CD which was really well done. My 5 year old loves it and will listen to it from beginning to end.
on 23 February 2011
My 3 year old was given this for Xmas. I was keen to start reading it to her as although it is largely too advanced for her, the other children's bibles she had were too infantile.

My daughter enjoys this bible and looks forward to our reading it together at bedtime. (At last she is happy to leave the fairy stories to daytime reading and is always eager for this at night.) I love the way that Jesus is brought into the stories, particularly the Old Testament stories and as a Christian of many years the simplistic story telling regularly challenges me (as the adult) to remember some of the basics and to think about aspects of the Gospel and build up to it that I'd simply taken for granted and never considered in any depth.

I have read in some of the other reviews that there is some licence in the way the stories are told. I think that is inevitable - this Bible is aimed at children - but I do not think the licence is on serious doctrinal matters. It is simply in the method of portraying the story in a language which a young child will understand. For a young child to whom the adult Bible is simply not accessible I think the stories are pitched right.

With regard to the review saying that there is too much of a slant on the positive side of things and not on the negative side, ie we are all sinners, I have this to say. This book is aimed at children. My daughter is too young to comprehend what a fundamental effect sin has on our human lives. When she is old enough we will read my Bible together and we will discuss it. I think it is enough for now that she learns that in the very beginning man disobeyed God and lost his close relationship with Him and that everything has fallen apart since then but that God loved us so much, despite ourselves, that He sent "the Great Rescuer" to bring us back to Him, if we would just acknowledge and accept it.

I know the stories are pitched just right even for her and a relatively basic understanding. We always look to see what tomorrow's story will be. A couple of weeks ago Daniel was the story the following night. Being 3 she can't read, there are no lions in the first pages of the story and yet just from the picture of a man praying she guessed it was Daniel. We're only on our second read through of this Bible at the moment but she's clearly taking in more than I realised!

I hope that one day my daughter will want to read my Bible and come to know God with a more mature understanding. But in the meantime, I am so happy that there is a Bible for children with enough depth to stimulate interest and a desire to read it.
on 25 August 2011
Really enjoyed this book & CD. Listened in the car with my 9 yr old, she asked me turn it on whenever we got in the car. Good narrative showing the link between the old and new testament. Obviously very abridged which was annoying at times, but a good gift for christenings, baptisms etc. Particularly appreciated the start of the recordings - the introduction to the bible. Poirot voice an inspired choice. Great
on 4 April 2011
I came across this Bible through some friends that have small children. It instantly makes you fall in love with everything about it - the way each story is writing, truthfully yet fitting the understanding of children, the illustrations, the choice of accounts in the Bible.

I think this is a great gift...and a quite ageless one. I have bought it twice already - since my first copy was given to my little brother (who also adored all about this little book). My favourite thing about it, is that in every account, a line is drawn to Christ. In all the accounts, we see Jesus. We see a glimpse of what He was going to accomplish, and how this was no plan B.

Love, love, love it...and seriously recommend it!