5.0 out of 5 stars fabtastic, 4 Sept. 2013
Katherine Austin (uk) - See all my reviews
I love this writer, but I am so annoyed that it is the first in a series and I can't find any more, so now I must wait!

4.0 out of 5 stars Compelling, but mature, 29 May 2013
Make no mistake, Captives is an extremely engaging book. In fact, so much so that I read it in two days flat, despite it being very long, around 800 pages.

It is a fast paced story too, there's never a dull moment, and never a shortage of conflict for the characters. They themselves are well-drawn and definitely likeable, even relatable. Each one is flawed in their own way, which somehow makes them even more loveable. My only problem was that I felt four main characters were too many, since I didn't get enough page-time with each.

The storyworld was also well-planned, if nothing particularily original. It took me a long time to oreintate myself in in it, however, because it was so complex and so different from the one we live in. When I did get to know it though, I could picture it clearly.

Now for my note of warning.
The content matter of the book is very mature. This is a society where almost everyone is on drugs and living a wild life, while forcing some others to bear all the nation's children. Though the author skips over the more 'sticky' scenes we still know these exist and that alone was enought to make me, as a teen, uncomfortable. For this reason, I would only recommend this book to those over 14, and even then with a word of caution. If you are alright with all this, do go on and read the book, if not, maybe it is not for you.

On all counts, this is an incredibly powerful book. It made me laugh, it kept me involved and it has left me thinking. Definitely worth trying.

Captives (Safe Land) (The Safe Lands)
Captives (Safe Land) (The Safe Lands) by Jill Williamson (Paperback - 19 Feb. 2013)