Published 21 months ago by Mark Meynell

Sally's story Bible is a wonderful thing, and great for parents to use with their kids. I also know of it being used to teach the basics of the Gospel to adult Christians with learning difficulties.

Published 8 months ago by K. Ross

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars When theology and art together leads children of ALL ages to doxology, 15 Jan 2013
Mark Meynell "quaesitor" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Those familiar with the Jesus Storybook Bible Anglicised Edition: Every Story Whispers His Name HB will know (and no doubt love) the style. That is easily the best of its kind for young children. Sally Lloyd-Jones and artist Jago have followed up with this wonderful book. It's ostensibly for children - though it mustn't be reserved only for children. I found it thrilling - having expected just to dip and out, I found myself reading cover to cover.

So what's the big deal? Well, it gets things right at so many levels. But in true preacher's style, I've tried to whittle it down to a just three points (ho ho).

THEOLOGICALLY ROOTED
There is so much dross out there in the kids' Christian books realm. Either too wishy washy or too complicated or too, just well, meh. Far too much degenerates into escapist fairy stories and/or moralism. This book almost entirely manages to avoid either.

It is always risky to construct 'thoughts' around just one biblical verse whatever age one writes for - the danger of eisegesis and hobby-horsing is very great. When writing for children, the risk must increase ten-fold. However, it was clear that each entry is founded on a wealth of exegesis, understanding and pastoral experience. If you're familiar with Tim Keller's preaching, you'll certainly detect his influence here.

But what I particularly liked was the unpatronising way of introducing young people to bygone divines and preachers. The list includes luminaries such as Calvin and Corrie ten Boom, John Newton and John Stott, Amy Carmichael and Martin Luther. It's never done in a heavy way - they're just slipped in almost in passing, but they reveal deep moorings and pastoral wisdom. The crucial thing is that it is all soaked in gospel grace - a crucial element if classic Sunday School moralism is to be avoided. I might have quibbled with one or two verse usages, but hey - that's just nit-picking.

ACCESSIBLY WRITTEN
Clarity and accessibility are the sine qua non's of children's writing. This has both in spades. Each entry is no more than perhaps 100 words, with most being around the 75 mark. Perfect for a quiet time or family prayer time. Each focuses on just one idea, rooted in the text - but they often open with an unexpected or quirky idea. Leafing through, we move from a jousting knight to World War 2 airmen stranded in a life-raft at sea; Zacchaeus in his tree to an astronaut floating in space; a giraffe licking its ear with its own tongue to cars in a petrol station.

The variety would make it compelling in itself - were it not for the stunning illustrations.

BEAUTIFULLY ILLUSTRATED
Jago's images are a far cry from Christian clipart downloads that get plastered over a lot of such stuff. Each is a well conceived and beautifully executed piece, with a rich, shimmering palette and compositional depths that draw the eye in (as every good picture needs). The artistic influences are many, but it hardly ever feels derivative. Some are surprising but explicit (like Piero della Francesca on p120 or the Bayeux Tapestry on p142!); the general style reminded me of the great Eric 'Hungry Caterpillar' Carle, both N.C. & Andrew Wyeth, Henri Rousseau's jungle paintings.

Jago's sense of colour electrifies every page, making each one a sheer pleasure in itself.

If, as J I Packer often intones, all theology should lead to doxology, then this is a book that gets it spot on. What is so refreshing is that not only do the thoughts make your heart sing. The pictures do too.

5.0 out of 5 stars brilliant and bold all-age gospel help, 20 Nov 2012
J. DOUGLAS "Johnny Douglas" (Nr London, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Engaging and energising little ones about the Word of God, could hardly be considered more important! This is simply the best book out there for 6-9 year olds!

This book is filled with the most joyful, deeply meaningful, and encouraging messages...stunningly illustrated. Each page is a separate pearl, containing a wonderful thought, and a bible verse. I can't decide which is more captivating, the words, or the gorgeous artistic accompaniment. The truth is that each stands up to, and enhances the other.......how rare this is!

This is a simple but deeply profound way that so clearly points readers young and old, to Jesus as rescuer. Content, gospel, creativity at it's very best!

5.0 out of 5 stars Not patronising, but engaging, without being too long-winded or preachy! Perfect Good News!, 15 Jan 2013
K. Z. Sobol (Bristol, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have really enjoyed reading this with my two girls aged 4 and 6 and my elder daughter has taken to it particularly. It is not patronising, but engaging, without being too long-winded or preachy. It speaks the truth of the gospel throughout and is accompanied by some really stunning illustrations by Jago.

If you have read or heard about the Jesus Storybook Bible Anglicised Edition: Every Story Whispers His Name HB, (which I highly recommend), this has been written by the same author and has a similar style and tone - and is once again quite different from other books about God for children. This is very thought-provoking and each double page is like a mini Bible study for children or families to read and think about. It looks like a story book, it doesn't feel too structured or complicated and it has a natural conversational tone throughout. There are lots of different reflections on God's love and his involvement with us and our lives - much like in the Jesus Storybook Bible. It is a great way to help children to relate to God as personal and relational and most definitely interested in them and caring for them!

Each double page has a few paragraphs exploring an idea or a thought, with a short Bible verse, usually at the end, but occasionally in amongst the "thought", which are matched with bright and unusual illustrations - some very traditional Biblical images, such as the shepherd sheltering the discovered lost sheep, Jesus in the stable in Bethlehem etc; then there are quite a few of animals and natural scenes - beautiful trees, a giraffe, fish swimming with the current, but then there are others rather more unusual and surprising , such as colourful cars going to fill up their tanks with tomato soup or porridge or one of a girl with a stork and its nest on her head! All of the illustrations are truly beautiful and my children spend long periods just turning the pages looking at the pictures and the pictures form part of our discussion.

I think this little devotional book has made everyone in our family think about God's part in our day and our lives more and reading this little book has easily become a part of our daily routine and we are all more thankful as a result!

4.0 out of 5 stars A great First Communion/Baptism or Confirmation gift, 21 Jan 2013
E. Heckingbottom "elaineheck143" (U.K.) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This book is a bit like a 'thought for the day' for families and young people aged 7 onwards. Each page has a reflection on it, and is beautifully illustrated with pictures relevent to the reflection. Some oof teh reflections are very basic - others are lovely, and would be the start of a great assembly, such as the story of the missing shovel and the story called 'Freed', and each one is supported by a brief verse from the Bible.

Although not very big or impressive looking on the outside, this book would make a good small present for a religious occasion.

5.0 out of 5 stars Reasons to be cheerful, thankful, and praiseful, 23 Nov 2012
Voracious for Books "Voraciousforbooks" (South London, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a lovely book to keep for your own encouragement, and also to share with others. Using excerpts from the writing of well known christians and the Bible to show God's love in everything around us. It is a powerful and thought provoking way of showing us how many different ways God says I love you, you're in my thoughts ect.

If you are in need of cheer, can't find your joy, or wish to encourage someone this is a handy little book with a very simple and clever message.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of my favourate book, beautiful languages and illustrations!, 7 May 2014
This review is from: Thoughts to Make Your Heart Sing (Hardcover)
One of my favourate book, beautiful languages and illustrations! I will take it back to China and introduce to my Christian friends and try to translate it into Chinese

5.0 out of 5 stars adorable, 7 April 2014
This review is from: Thoughts to Make Your Heart Sing (Hardcover)
I bought this book as I had seen previous work by this author and I wasn't disappointed. Would highly recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars absolute joy, 18 Mar 2014
simply wonderful! I recommend this to folks as often as I can - a real blessing to people of all ages (too good to just keep for the kids!)

1.0 out of 5 stars This may be an excellent boook, but the Kindle implementation is a major problem, 25 Feb 2014
K. Ross "KSR" (Prestwick, Scotland) - See all my reviews

However, this Kindle app is a disappointment. One of the great strengths of the Kindle library is the fact that Amazon promote readers for a whole range of devices. I happen to choose to read on either my PC, or my Windows Phone 8 mobile (cell) phone.

Having purchased this book - with no indication in the details that it will not open on some iterations of the Kindle Reader software, I finf myself £0.99 poorer, and no words to show for it.

Amazon / Kindle - please sort this! - I notice that I am now the second person to give a 1-star rating - this is not a reflection upon the content of the book, but a mark of dissatisfaction at the failure of the product to meet its stated usefulness.

5.0 out of 5 stars A WOW book!, 10 Feb 2014
Di (Southampton, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Thoughts to Make Your Heart Sing (Hardcover)
This book is very arty and as a bonus has good theology.
I would very much recommend it for short, devotional times.
If you are interested in something more leghty by the same authors buy Jesus Sotrybook Bible,
which is great for more info and has CDs or DVDs read by David Suchet.

I love the creativity of both authors and it does make my heart and my children's hearts sing!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Thoughts to Make Your Heart Sing
Thoughts to Make Your Heart Sing by Sally Lloyd-Jones (Hardcover - 1 Oct 2012)