4.0 out of 5 stars A Good read and a big Challenge!, 11 Jan 2012
Mr. C. Bleakney "Colin Bleakney" (Northern Ireland) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
After reading this book, I was forced to face the most challenging question I believe a Christian can ask, "Am I a follower of Jesus or just a fan?" The difference between the two answers as far as the author is concerned is a matter of life or death! I'm not so sure that I agree entirely, though, I would advocate that the difference between a mere Christian, (Someone who has put his/her trust in Christ's finished work on the cross for Salvation), and a Disciple is vast to say the least.
I do believe that in order to become a true Disciple, then, according to Luke 9:23, that the Believer must have a full surrender and dying to self experience.

The author ably describes what the true life of Discipleship looks like and what it will mean for anyone to take up their cross and follow Christ.
This is a challenging read, but to read this book and leave it down without making a choice between mere Christianity and Discipleship is not a choice!
Read it if you dare!

4.0 out of 5 stars Kyle's 'seriously' not a fan, 11 Aug 2014
This review is from: Not a Fan: Becoming a Completely Committed Follower of Jesus (Paperback)
This is a very challenging book. Kyle Idleman's premise is that within western consumer influenced culture, too many people either misunderstand what it means to become a Christian, or, they are misled as to what it means to become a christian, or worst, they are not honest with themselves about what it means to become, and be, a Christian.

Whilst many books will deal with this issue by getting the reader examining theology, or creeds, or behavior, (i.e. if you do this then how could you be saved) Kyle essentially challenges the reader to consider what is Christian conversion.

Is it to make a decision that then allows you to consume as much, or as little, of whatever Christ/Christianity has to offer; is it free eternal life insurance, or the opportunity of having your 'best life now'. Or, is it making the commitment for God to change your eternal destiny and transform you from everything that you are as a natural born descendant of Adam.

Kyle endeavors to avoid the Free Grace v Lordship debate (what is the minimum/maximum a person must/can do to get/be saved) by focusing not on a debate about words and their meanings, but a debate about Jesus and reality. What does it really mean to follow Jesus.

For some readers (see amazon's us site 1 star reviews) he failed to avoid that debate and has scared some people about how seriously one should take The Faith, and to what extent living the faith should intrude into our lives/the lives of our kids.

In a sense that could have been an alternative title for Kyle's book 'taking faith seriously'.

For many people this will be a call to a real and vital faith from God (I say 'from' rather than 'in' God, because the faith Kyle is driving at is the faith that is generated as a result of us really uniting with Jesus on His cross. Not the faith of the passer by who says, 'i can believe that what Jesus did on the cross has changed my life, but that cross does not fuel my faith, it is only the object of it. I leave the dying to Him, so I can get on with MY life).

For some it will appear, as I have already suggested, to go 'too far', sound too much as of there is 'work' for the believer to do to 'get' saved. For others it may seem to condemn so much of what we have been calling 'Christianity' to the refuse bin. For those who are in a dark place, and are doubting their salvation, or their sanity, read the early chapters carefully, and call upon God for clarification.

Test all things

5.0 out of 5 stars Recommend, 8 Jan 2014
I found this a very thought provoking book that really challenged me in a positive way, to think about my relationship with God. I have since recommended and brought it for others.

5.0 out of 5 stars fantastic book and a life changing, 30 Dec 2013
fantastic book and a life changing
I recommend this book to every Christian person, to make an evaluation in their commitment to follow Jesus.
I rated it 5 as just from the beginning of the book, it changes my life in following Jesus.

5.0 out of 5 stars Only for the committed, 28 Jun 2013
Have been watching his programmes on tv and I like his style - admittedly I've not quite finished the book, but so far so good

5.0 out of 5 stars A MUST READ!, 22 Mar 2013
Aplle (Reigate, UK) - See all my reviews
This is one of the most challenging books I have ever read! Loved every page of the book and would recommend it to everyone who calls themselves a Christian!

5.0 out of 5 stars Should the Christians second handbook, 10 Mar 2013
Read it! You won't regret it! If you do regret it - read it again - properly this time!!! I'm not a fan!

5.0 out of 5 stars A great book, 20 Dec 2012
Really challenging, Kyle puts a challenge out there that all belivers need to consider, a great book. Recommended read for everyone

5.0 out of 5 stars Fan or Follower?, 25 Nov 2014
Probably the most challenging book I have ever read. Goes right to the basics of your relationship with Christ and leaves you without excuse for anything other than total commitment.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 2 Oct 2014
If you call yourself a christian, this is a book you must read.

Not a Fan: Becoming a Completely Committed Follower of Jesus
Not a Fan: Becoming a Completely Committed Follower of Jesus by Kyle Idleman (Paperback - 1 Jun 2011)