5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant brilliant book, 19 July 2013
Mr. Alastair Gooderham "al133087" (Doncaster, UK) - See all my reviews
Was recommended this by a friend and it is a brilliant book which helps us see clearly the wonder and love of God who gives. Will be re-reading this regularly.

5.0 out of 5 stars A seriously beautiful and rich story of a generous God inviting us to join him, 22 Mar 2011
This review is from: God So Loved, He Gave (Hardcover)
We might expect a book about giving to be a guilt-trip and focused on our wallet. This book is neither of these.

It begins "Let me tell you a story...the story about God."

That tells you a lot about this book. It is not a long book, although its 200 pages are closely typed and it is tightly written. Nevertheless, it a big book in other ways. The book sweeps from creation, through the fall to redemption with God himself as the centre of the story. As the main actor in this drama God is thoughtfully and beautifully shown to be God the Father, Son and Holy Spirit. And the story's major theme is God giving himself in the Son and the Spirit to a people who never deserved such grace.

With this as the big picture the application becomes refreshingly different to many exhortations to generosity you may have heard.

> It is saturated in grace - we are reminded to give because we have first received.
> It is God-centred - you are inspired to grow in generosity, but wonder and thankfulness for the Triune God is the dominant melody.
> It is inviting rather than pushy - as the subtitle suggests, we are invited into God's story and into the relationship between the three persons of the Trinity.

But this God of grace takes you to quite dizzying heights, and things look a bit different from his perspective. Just as God invites you in to join him, he invites you to join him going out in self-giving. Kapic and Berger show that it is the grace of the Triune God which will make generosity so much more radical than it would be otherwise. E.g.

> God didn't just give things, but his person - so how can we respond by just giving a percentage rather than our whole selves?
> We are rich because we have received so much - so how can we not give lavishly?

Personally the most memorable theme was that of belonging. We belong to God because he created us. This was perfect freedom but we rejected belonging to God and chose bondage to sin. God reclaimed us by giving (!) so we can experience the gift of being his slaves.

This book is so rich that I could spend a long time trying to describe its content but I would struggle to do it justice.

If you are wondering about the form: It is theological but I was pleasantly surprised how expositional it was. It would probably be enjoyed by any regular reader of Christian books but may be too demanding for an occasional reader. Finally, it is Reformed Evangelical in its theology but (in-keeping with the theme) Kapic is generous in drawing on a wide range of thinkers.

'God So Loved He Gave' was simultaneously one of the most emotionally moving and intellectually engaging theology books I have read in several years. It engaged me on every level (mind, heart and will) and there are not very many books you can say that about. I highly recommend this beautiful book.

God So Loved, He Gave
God So Loved, He Gave by KAPIC/BORGER (Hardcover - 15 Oct 2010)