5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing book, 22 July 2013
I love this book. It is for anyone who struggles with the fast pace of life and the constant pressure to achieve perfection in whatever we do whether its in our career, marriage, relationships, parenting, home making, even baking! It reminds us of God's grace and that busyness and perfection doesn't bring true joy. Shauna reminds us that LIFE is bittersweet - you can't have the sweet without the bitter and she challenges us to see the "bitter" seasons in life as times that shape us and change us and make us grow. I would thoroughly recommend this book over and over again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful and deep, 8 Jun 2013
This review is from: BITTERSWEET (Hardcover)
Short stories, from the author's life, dealing with everyday problems and showing what the life really is and which small battles we all fight.

5.0 out of 5 stars Breathtaking, 19 Mar 2014
Just what I needed in this season of beauty and ashes, the bitter and the sweet. Thank you, thank you.

5.0 out of 5 stars A book to share., 14 Jan 2014
This review is from: BITTERSWEET (Hardcover)
This is a beautiful book which you want to share with your friends. She loves food and sharing with friends.

5.0 out of 5 stars A celebration of life, 23 Oct 2012
This review is from: BITTERSWEET (Hardcover)
This book is about life...ups, downs..and like the tide...fullness and emptiness...it's gut-honest...saying things we are and think but seldom admit...but always, always with a note of hope...and celebration for the miracle and incredulity of life.

4.0 out of 5 stars lovely and unaffected, 5 Aug 2014
A rather British assessment but no less admiring. There is something here for everyone and that is how Shauna's book should be considered. Keep going Shauna!

5.0 out of 5 stars Bittersweet, 15 Sep 2010
Catrina Benham (Bracknell UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: BITTERSWEET (Hardcover)
For a long time my favourite book has been the lovely orange book that is Cold Tangerines. Well, the long-awaited next book by Shauna Niequist is the equally beautiful pale blue book that is Bittersweet. The full title being Bittersweet: Thoughts on Change, Grace, and Learning the Hard Way.

The analogies with food and meals really connected with me as I read - like a delicious and beautifully prepared meal, I wanted to read more and could have wolfed it down, but chose instead the restraint of reading slowly. Each chapter is self-contained - an observation, a recount of an ordinary event in her life. That's what resonates so well as you read it -thinking "that's my life" "I've felt like that" "I wasn't sure other women felt like that too". It's about seeing God in the ordinary. It's about real , authentic life. It's about learning and growing through all of life - sad and hard times included. To me, it's a picture of what Romans 12 v 1 is like in real life for a Christian woman living in the west in 2010.

I love it - am about to start reading it again . I highly recommend it and hope many of you get to read it. Two friends made the same comment to me last week, straight after reading the first chapter "that's my life, it's what I'm going through". Her writing about it has given them hope. Shauna's writing appeals to all sorts of women - all ages too. Reading Bittersweet, I feel my shoulders relax and I take a deep breath, thinking "it's ok, there's someone else who feels like me, I'm not alone".
Buy it, read it, give it away - this book is fantastic!

BITTERSWEET
BITTERSWEET by NIEQUIST SHAUNA (Hardcover - 23 July 2010)
10.54