5.0 out of 5 stars Portrait of a Marriage
Like many Christian, I have long known of the life and ministry of Joni, who has taken her tragic diving accident that left her a quadriplegic and turned it into a ministry reaching out to the disabled for Christ. What I didn't know much about is her marriage, so when this book popped up on my Amazon Vine list, I decided I had to read it.

As you can imagine,...
Published on 8 April 2013 by Mark Baker - Carstairs Considers

3.0 out of 5 stars Life story
I think I have probably missed a book so it was good to catch up with Joni's life. However, I didn't think that it was particularly well written.
Published 18 months ago by D. Ayling

5.0 out of 5 stars Portrait of a Marriage, 8 April 2013
Mark Baker - Carstairs Considers (Santa Clarita, CA United States) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Joni & Ken: An Untold Love Story (Hardcover)

As you can imagine, her marriage to Ken has had good and bad times. The book actually starts with her diagnosis with breast cancer just a couple of years ago and then flashes back to them meeting, falling in love, getting married, and what happened when the daily routine of caring for Joni got to be too much for Ken. While he took his vows seriously, he did begin to withdraw. But that's not the end of the story as God used a book and good friends to speak to his heart and renew their relationship in ways neither of them expected.

The chronology is not always linear, but it is well marked, so you can easily follow the time line if you are paying attention. The book is written third person, but the details are still vivid and real as if it were told first person. This style does allow for switching points of view, something that often bugs me, but works in this case because it is handled skillfully. And we really get to know Ken, a man who I've always admired for the role he took, but all the more so now for his honesty in the pages of the book.

I pretty much expect that as I read the book, but here's what I didn't expect. God used the lessons He taught them to teach me as well. I am single, and no one in my life is in a wheelchair, so I didn't really expect much that would apply to me. Instead, I was struck by their faith and commitment to God. While I call myself a Christian, I have been drifting lately, and the book really hit me upside the head with how much that is truly my fault. It's something I need to change going forward.

So this book is highly recommended for anyone. Whether you can relate to the Tada's physical circumstances or not, their faith and commitment will speak to you and draw you closer to God.

5.0 out of 5 stars Powerful, challenging and comforting, 4 Jun. 2013
I'm not sure what I expected when I bought this book. I suppose I anticipated a roses round the door type romance story.
What I found was a story of real life love and hurt.
I found echoes of my own marriage trials. I found hope that God is still interests in our marriage and praying for my husband and I is not futile.
I also am assured Jesus is more than the power cord and I'm not an iphone

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful Interesting Love Story, 4 Aug. 2013
A book I could not put down enjoyed every moment and am very pleased to have read it. Please buy and enjoy reading it as much as me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring story., 1 Aug. 2013
Hard to imagine this is a true life story. Joni is a very courageous woman. She's been thru so much & is lucky to have a dedicated husband. Her faith is keeping her going. A truly remarkable & inspiring story.

5.0 out of 5 stars May God bless you for being obedient. thank you.., 15 July 2013
Good stuff, if they can do it, we should be able to, a really easy read, in the English writing sense, challenging for all the right reasons, and the light of Jesus shines right through. To Ken and Joni, well done and thank you for sharing real deep issues, for being so brutally honest, it's so very encouraging and helps so much.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must read!, 15 May 2013
Thoroughly enjoyed reading this book. Joni and Ken have been very open and honest, which I appreciate very much. God is glorified in this book. I would recommend it to anyone, especially to those with a disability, and those going through hard times.

4.0 out of 5 stars Joni and Ken, 19 July 2013
A. Wilson "Alfie" (Devon UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Joni & Ken: An Untold Love Story (Hardcover)
This is a very challenging book about the stickability of a marriage through thick and thin, and how it has overcome very difficult physical problems with faith in Jesus

5.0 out of 5 stars yes, 16 Aug. 2013
This review is from: Joni & Ken: An Untold Love Story (Hardcover)
My penfriend read it and was immensely impressed by Joni's supreme achievements supportet by God's almighty grace; an amazing biography.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Love Story., 25 Aug. 2013
Very lovely Love story, very frank on both sides. It brings the life of a quadrapligic person to the fore.

5.0 out of 5 stars Joni and Ken: An Untold Love Story, 30 Jun. 2013
This review is from: Joni & Ken: An Untold Love Story (Hardcover)
You can't read this book and be indifferent to it. There is so much pain, anguish, despair, yet also so much joy, gratitude, inspiration. You can't but admire a couple who go through what Joni and Ken have gone through and still keep loving God, seeking to serve him, giving hope and inspiration to millions of other people who suffer in various ways.
The book is not really just for couples or for those who have someone disabled in their family. Any human being can learn and be inspired by what they have gone through and still go through.
I would have liked to know more about what attracted them to each other, why Ken, probably unlike most men, was able to see beyond Joni's disability and see a woman he could love, how they knew that God wanted them to marry and serve him together.

Joni & Ken: An Untold Love Story
Joni & Ken: An Untold Love Story by Ken Tada (Hardcover - 1 Mar. 2013)