5.0 out of 5 stars touch of reality
This is a book I wish I had written. It helps encourage Christians to be human! getting in touch with and processing the various aspects of our humanity whilst at the same time drawing upon the resources of Christ in whom we now live. A brilliant book that will I hope be widely read and implememented
Published on 6 May 2012 by Mike Betts

3.0 out of 5 stars Sobering and helpful
Some great insight and helpful 'warning signs' for those in leadership. Although this book is geared to those in Christian Leadership there is something for everyone in here.
Published 17 months ago by Simon J Turner

5.0 out of 5 stars touch of reality, 6 May 2012
This review is from: The Emotionally Healthy Church: A Strategy for Discipleship that Actually Changes Lives (Hardcover)

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent insight and wisdom, 25 Feb 2010
Sue Woolmore (UK) - See all my reviews
I found this book to be very insightful into how the role of leadership in church holds the key to the health and spiritual growth of the church community. It's so refreshing to read an author who is able to relate to his own experineces as a flawed adult in a way which creates wisdom about the vital role that the character and emotional intelligence of leaders have on their church.
Please read this if you are anywhere near contemplating taking up a role as a church leader, and if are aleady in that position, pick this book up and let it guide you.
This book gives you permission to acknowledge your humanity and vulnerabilities, and in so doing to allow God to work with you to become the person he created you to be, thereby enabling your church to grow with you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hot to the touch......, 8 Mar 2014
This book was chosen as teaching material for a period by the church to which I belong. I'm normally cautious about books hailing from America, many are good, some are deplorable. This one I found exceptional in that it gets to the heart of where people are at, and then helps individuals ( and churches ) towards that place where they need to get. I suppose it helps one to recognise the mask ( or the image ) we hide behind and present to the outside world that enables us to cope with our own unique and individual circumstances.....see and accept ourselves as we really are .....and go ( grow ) on from there.

A very freeing and liberating book, written by a man who has been there and is sharing out of his own experience that which he has painfully learned.

I highly recommend this book, easily read in sections or straight through. Can be uncomfortable in places, especially where you recognise yourself......but that, of course, is what it's all about.

Happy reading

J.J.Hall

5.0 out of 5 stars A 'Must read', 21 Sep 2013
P. Arton (N Wales) - See all my reviews
Get balance back into your life and the life of your church. This is a must read for anyone in church leadership especially but it is just as good for the individual. After making the point that emotional and spiritual health are inseparable and we neglect emotional health at our peril the author gives a detailed questionaire to evaluate the maturity of your emotional health. He then goes through 7 principles that will improve things for you. It is not a book to read quickly - you need to allow the truths and practices to sink deep so they become part of you and the people you influence.

4.0 out of 5 stars Insightful, 21 May 2009
Rania (Birmingham, UK) - See all my reviews
Good read. But quite involving. There are exercises for you to do at the end of each chapter, so you need to invest some study time.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great resource for healthy relationships., 6 May 2009
Beth Webster "New Life Church" (Stockholm, Sweden) - See all my reviews
Everyone in the Western church world should read this book and take it to heart. Lots of practical ways to improve our relationship skills and live more Godly lives. Buy it and tell a friend!

5.0 out of 5 stars If you want spiritual maturity, you need emotional health and maturity too., 20 July 2014
This is what the author claims and then goes on to explain.

I am reading this with my husband who is a church pastor.

it is an eye opener - come at just the right time for us.

Be prepared to be challenged and think.

If these emotionally healthy principles could be incorporated into any organisation (religious or not), life would be so much simpler and we would all be healthier too.

It starts with individuals making changes and then modelling them in everyday life. My husband and I have started this and seen the ripples spread around our family!

Here's hoping the church can be influenced positively too!

5.0 out of 5 stars Just What is Needed, 11 Mar 2014
J. E. Atkins (Kent UK) - See all my reviews
This book is just what is needed in the church. Peter shows that spiritual maturity cannot fully happen until emotional maturity had been reach. This applies to individuals and to the church. A must read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Important, 28 May 2013
Important book for church leaders in balancing their own lives and those of their churches. Written with insight and obvious (bitter) experience. Needed, I'm sure, for many.

5.0 out of 5 stars A book for every christian, 11 April 2013
This book made me stop and think about my life style and motivations. It impacted my thinking and the way I live.