Format: Hardcover|Change

on 13 January 2015
I got this as a follow-up after working through "The Elements of New Testament Greek" by Jeremy Duff. The Mounce book starts by concentrating on nouns but I was thrown by two things. First it explains the endings and paradigms in a completely different way. For instance on page 32 it says that whereas most grammars (looking at eg "logos") regard the final stem vowel as part of the ending, this is both incorrect and makes learning Greek more difficult. ie The ending (nom sing) is -s, not as Duff says -os. I'm not at a stage where I can comment on which is correct but having followed Duff I couldn't bring myself to throw it all overboard and learn Mounce's way. Second the paradigms order the main cases as Nominative, Genitive, Dative, Accusative. I think this may be normal in USA for both Latin and Greek but Duff uses N A G D (as we did very many years ago in schoolboy Latin in the 1950s) and again I decided not to do the mental gymnastics that following Mounce would need. Of course this would not matter for someone coming here from scratch. I'm less sure about the paradigms but I think I would have struggled to follow Mounce's explanation had I tried this book first. This also applies to his verb "rules". All in all I feel Duff is the better book, very clear for a lone student with no teacher. It has exercises with answers to most and Bible excerpts to try. The only extra - well worth while - is a pronounciation CD which covers both the vocabularies and the paradigms. Mounce has a separate workbook which I didn't buy. And Mounce also puts a little more stress on the exegetical side.
on 22 January 2011
This is an easy to follow, even entertaining style work book to learn Greek (in conjunction with the main grammar text book). The authors seem to be experienced at bringing appropriate material each week, instead of over-loading. Really like it!
on 26 November 2013
great for 1st year students at undergraduate level, you set the pace on this home study course. It is without any doubt beneficial for those who wish to advance there degrees further by reading ancient languages specifically when it is to compliment Theological degrees.
on 11 December 2014
As that famous Greek scholar Tina Turner once said, this is "..simply the best, better than all the rest"!

Learning Koine Greek is never going to be easy, but Dr Mounce's BBG system is the easiest way to learn Biblical Greek. My advice, go the whole hog and get the flash cards, text book, work book and DVD, it will be an investment you and your family will never regret.
on 12 July 2014
I found this book excellent for revisiting my New Testament Greek before starting my Masters. Having tried Wenham, Duff, and a couple of others Mounce is by far the best, easiest to use. One of the things I found most helpful were the little bits of encouragement built in as you go along.
If you want to learn, or revise, your New testament Greek by yourself then I really recommend this book.
on 9 March 2016