5.0 out of 5 stars Where, O Death is Your Sting., 2 Jun 2009
Bob Salter "Captain Spindrift" (Wiltshire, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
We humans are the only species on earth that have the knowledge that one day we will die. Some people bury their head in the sand and ignore this fact. There are those that have arranged to have their bodies cryrogenically frozen so that when in the future they develop the technology they can be miraculously brought back to life. A bit like Woody Allen in the film "Sleeper". The same Woody Allen who was quoted as saying "Its not that I'm afraid to die, I just don't want to be there when it happens".

In this present world of grasping MPs and bankers who want more and more easy money, it is easy to lose sight of the important things whilst we quest for earthly treasures, be it wealth or status, or even both. Sometimes we say we'll get around to the important things when our chaotic lives settle down a bit. But alas it never happens. It is too late. Death has a very nasty habit of catching us unprepared. A bit inconvenient in our busy diaries. At the end of the day it is well to remember that "It all goes back into the box". All those things we strived for in life, become at the inevitable end as dust.

I guess death is not the most cheery of subjects, but this little book although pointing this sobering fact out on many occasions, also points the way to a life of fulfilment. There are so many good tips in this book on how we should aim to try and live our lives. How to escape life's seeming battle up the frenetic ladder. As the book says we have but one life and no rewind button. The author's thoughts are all biblically based. The book of Ecclesiastes features prominently as do the parables and teachings of Jesus. If you are thinking that may be a bit boring, think again. I will freely admit that I find Christian books quite boring on the whole. But this book is different. It is infused with the authors good humour and his advice is clear and easy to understand. It is also very good advice. So good it can be life changing.

I am now 52 years old and deaths shadow creeps ever closer. I know I am like the old medieval knight in Ingmar Bergman's brilliant film "The Seventh Seal" who is caught in a game of chess with death. He never knows when it will be checkmate. At the end of the day what will be my legacy? I have certainly done a few too many Amazon reviews, for which I hope I am not judged too harshly. If God doesn't like westerns I may be in a spot of bother! Perhaps this may be my only review of any lasting worth if one person is persuaded to read this book, and as a result has a life changed for the better. As a believer I know that death is not the end it is merely a change of address. This is a book worth reading for a life worth living.

"Where, O death is your victory? Where, O death, is your sting?"

5.0 out of 5 stars Compelling Reading, 18 Nov 2007
As always, Ortberg has produced a very enjoyable read. Using the metaphor of life being a game he examines various strategies to live and assesses their effectiveness. Or otherwise. Writing from the Christian perspective, Ortberg concludes that a human being is created with a longing that cannot possibly be fulfilled by life on earth. For me, the most persuasive arguement is that of King Solomon. Although Ortberg does not examine Ecclesiastes in any great depth but there was enough to make me think twice. Ortberg is a very persuasive writer and I think this does not detract from his arguements. The only lack in this book is that of a Study Guide. As some of his other works have one I hope that this might be added to future editions.

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspirational, 11 Nov 2007
Mr. R. Brown - See all my reviews
This has got to be one of the most powerful books I have ever read. The sheer futility of materialism is clearly expressed, whereby those who always seek for more never have enough. There is always one more goal to strive for, another million to earn, but it still won't be sufficient. John Ortberg is a truly gifted pastor who writes from the heart. How many of us look toward the horizon and try to get there, only to find that the horizon just goes on and on? A must read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Who will remember what's left?, 7 Sep 2007
Amazon Customer (martin-spence.com) - See all my reviews
This is a very challenging book for all of us caught in the trap of getting to the top.

Ties great story's with what Christ/Paul spoke about in the Bible.

'those who rush arrive first at the grave' - spanish proverb... full of great truths...

Highly recommended and easy to read

5.0 out of 5 stars Book review, 20 Mar 2012
Great book, great read - simple to read yet profoundly deep and challenging. Could only read a chapter at a time and had to reflect and let it challenge you. Clearly author has a great God given gift to write and help people understand and apply God in our lives. Great stuff

5.0 out of 5 stars When the Game is over It all goes back in the Box., 1 May 2013
A must read for all, that puts life into perspective, while preserving and guiding the human instinct into the realization of being only part of a whole. A thoroughly light hearted , enjoyable book, well deserving of a 5 Star Rating !!!

5.0 out of 5 stars great book, 15 Sep 2013
this is a necessary book for everyone to read.
It is especially good for self appraisal, esp at mid life!

5.0 out of 5 stars his books are always a delight to read without losing any of their gravitas, 23 Sep 2014
John Ortberg writes so engagingly, even though he is focusing on serious issues, his books are always a delight to read without losing any of their gravitas.
He manages to be both witty and wise about the human condition, encouraging us all to live fuller lives.

When the Game is Over, it All Goes Back in the Box
When the Game is Over, it All Goes Back in the Box by John Ortberg (Audio CD - 3 Aug 2007)