5.0 out of 5 stars A modern essential
I'd spent a few weeks back in college ploughing through Volf's profound Exclusion and Embrace so when I heard about this book I placed my order in advance.

Published on 14 Sep 2006 by Mr. Kevin Hargaden

2.0 out of 5 stars One-track-minded, lacks universality.
Published 18 months ago by Piotr Nowak

5.0 out of 5 stars A modern essential, 14 Sep 2006
Mr. Kevin Hargaden (Maynooth, Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Free of Charge: Giving and Forgiving in a Culture Stripped of Grace (Paperback)

I wasn't disappointed in any way. This book is eminentally readable but not less deep than Volf's other books. Its written in clear, jargon free language so I would happily share it with non-Christian friends. It is appropriately vulnerable as the Croat theologian shares from his own experience. Most importantly, it clearly illustrates again the radical heart of Christianity in the Grace offered by Jesus. The Conversation With A Skeptic at the end of the book is excellent.

I heartily recommend it to every reader.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Discipline, 28 Mar 2006
Mr. S W. vanOs "Revd. Stephan van Os" (Winchester, Hampshire UK) - See all my reviews
I purchased this title and decided on the strength of the recommendations on the back cover to read it as part of my Lenten discipline for 2006. In contrast to some of Volf's other books which are stimulating but hard work this one is remarkably user friendly. No sooner had I finished the Prelude than I knew I was going to be hooked, and so it has turned out. It is easy to read BUT the challenges he presents us with are something else altogether. It is hard to live gracefully in a culture stripped of grace, but the glory of this book is that it keeps holding the challenge before you in such a way that by grace you will want to have your life changed into the likeness of Christ.

5.0 out of 5 stars Why Forgiveness is so important, 22 Jun 2013
Volf puts into simple words why forgiveness is so important, it is all about repairing relationships. This book is well written and easy to read.

2.0 out of 5 stars One-track-minded, lacks universality., 7 Jan 2013
Although I knew the author was a theologian, I hoped he would look at the subject of giving and forgiving from a more universal perspective, and not entirely from the point of view of Christianity. I was wrong. Almost the whole part of the book related to forgiving revolves around the idea that "After all, our forgiveness is only possible as an echo of God's". I am a Christian myself, but don't believe you have to be a Christian to be able to forgive. There are merely two pages dedicated to forgiveness by other denominations and atheists. So from that point of view the book was a huge disappointment. At the same time, it is well written, thought provoking and explores the subject of giving a little bit more thoroughly than that of forgiving.

To summarise, if you are not a Christian, give this book a wide berth, because to you it will be just a religious rant. If you are a Christian and subscribe to the line quoted above, give this book a go. You will love it.

Free of Charge: Giving and Forgiving in a Culture Stripped of Grace