5.0 out of 5 stars What's so amazing about this book?
Published on 25 Nov. 2003 by Al

3.0 out of 5 stars Thoughtful read
If this book were a person it would be a quiet unassuming chap who doesn't voice his opinions overtly but plods on and leads by example!
Using examples and true life stories The author gives examples of true Grace and forgiveness and Christian philosophy And how wonderful the power of Grace is.
It made me think but has not changed my life, also I felt I had to...
Published on 8 Sept. 2012 by BusyReader

5.0 out of 5 stars What's so amazing about this book?, 25 Nov. 2003
This review is from: What's So Amazing About Grace? (Paperback)
Yancey's style is accessible and flows well. In What's So Amazing About Grace? he manages to maintain a coherent line of thought throughout in covering the immense topic of Grace. This book approaches the topic well with pertinent examples of why the world we live in today lacks grace. Furthermore, Yancey manages to touch upon important processes of Christian perceptions and the grace that Christians should exhibit.
Yancey mixes philosophy with stark examples of the reality of the world. He is very effective in carrying a clear and concise line of thought and his expressions are well thought out. The book is encouraging to Christians and non-Christians with regards to living a life of grace.
I think that this book is a great introduction to one of the biggest concepts of Christianity, that of grace, and highlights some important realities. Furthermore, i think that the book is effective in giving a clearer picture as to the fundamental truths of Jesus and Christianity.
A classic from Yancey, one of his most lauded pieces.
Enjoy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Will change how you live your life, 30 Sept. 2006
This review is from: What's So Amazing About Grace? (Paperback)
This is my favourite book of all time- I have read it at least 8 times and each time come away with something new and feeling invigorated.

Yancy challenges the view that (sadly) many people have of Christians in the world- that is that we are legalistic and lack compassion and love. In this book, Yancy challenges Christians to really think (and more importantly ACT) in the manner that Jesus did.

The book is full of heart-breaking stories that challenge one's thinking. I don't think you can look at the world the same again after reading this.

A must read for all Christians!

(Anything by Yancy is tops on my list)

5.0 out of 5 stars The book that changed my life, 27 Oct. 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: What's So Amazing About Grace? (Paperback)
I've only recently become a Christian. I was very sceptical about the faith, and no one seemed to be able to answer the questions that I had, until I read Philip Yancey. And it was after I read this book that I asked Jesus to come into my life. That might sound extremely cheesy, but it is true. This book is amazing, and I would recommend it to anyone, Christian or non-Christian. I'm not trying to convert you, it's simply a great read.

5.0 out of 5 stars A book needed for today, 6 Oct. 2008
Dianne M. Benz "Dianne Benz" (Plymouth, Devon) - See all my reviews
This review is from: What's So Amazing About Grace? (Paperback)
I have been a christian for about 25 years and have belonged to various denominations over that time, including AOG, Methodist, Anglican, House Church and now an Elim Pentecostal and have gained many insights in all of these churches, but never have I heard the message of grace explained in this way,(or maybe I just wasn't listening)! This book, in the words of a famous beer advert, reaches the parts that others have not. It has opened up parts of myself that I would never have looked at,such as how legalistic I am,( and me a pentecostal!) but for some reason the way this is written has drawn me in to explore grace in a frightening but liberating way, To open up to God's grace for myself and start to receive what He has for me, not just my own small ideas. I would like to be able to buy lots of copies of this book to give to people I know.
Dianne

5.0 out of 5 stars What a good question.........? Do I know the answer..?, 23 Mar. 2011
This review is from: What's So Amazing About Grace? (Paperback)
Such a well known Hymn line. Never really thought deeply about it. I think that's why Yancey's book is so helpful because there is a freshness in it. He certainly does not claim to have all the answers but he has had his desire for better understanding stretched and kneaded by God. And he has been willing to share that experience with us. In such a rough world where mercy is rare and grace misunderstood it is a gentle but clear pointing back to ask what is the message of the Bible?

Children's song: Grace is when God gives us the things we don't deserve Rpt... Chorus: He does it because He loves us rpt
Mercy is when God does not give us what we deserve Rpt... Chorus: He does it because He loves us rpt

5.0 out of 5 stars The scandal of grace, 5 Mar. 2013
Jeremy Walton (Sidmouth, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: What's So Amazing About Grace? (Paperback)
A friend gave me this book after correctly perceiving that I was in need of spiritual consolation. It's taken me a long time to read, because I was conscious of needing to allow its message to sink in every now and then. The author looks at grace as something unbelievably scandalous: a manifestation of God's love which is given to everyone without strings attached. He memorably describes it as meaning "there is nothing we can do to make God love us more, [and] nothing we can do to make God love us less" (p70). The implications of this for the way we relate to one another are worked through in detail, with quotations and anecdote - many of which come from the author's own experience and upbringing.

One of the most remarkable parts of his story is the account of the church in Atlanta which he was an active (and enthusiastic) member of as a youth, and its efforts to resist racial integration. This included their explicitly telling blacks (and/or civil rights demonstrators) that they were not welcome in the church, because God was "only the Father of those who have been regenerated" (p131). Yancey acknowledges his part in this (literally) disgraceful behaviour, and points out that the sin which Jesus was most concerned about was hypocrisy - the gap between what we say and do, and what we profess to be. He even suggests on p202 that Jesus himself coined the word, borrowing it from the technical term for a Greek (mask-wearing) actor.

Yancey notes that the fact that that church's rules about segregation would now be considered sinful in themselves has implications for those who question the received doctrine on homosexuality, for example. The demands of grace are that we manifest compassion, forgiveness and love to one another, in the light of what we have all received from God. This entertaining, thought-provoking book provides a welcome reminder about that gift, and what it means for us.

5.0 out of 5 stars GRACE RULES !, 13 Feb. 2012
Belfast Dave (Northern Ireland) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I am something of a church-critical believer, being that I find Christianity an appealing way of life providing I stay away from Church!
Also being a fickle kind of guy I have read and delved into many of the various faiths including Buddhism, Spiritualism and the much lauded Scepticism!
But I have to say that I have had a very gentle lesson in the art and practice of "Grace" from this beautiful little gem of a book.
Grace is a commodity seldom seen in most of the worlds population (and many of it's practising Churches!), and yet through the accounts and "ministry" of this book I have had my eyes opened wide enough to understand, that through understanding, faith and (dare I say it) fellowship, "Grace" is prevalent, relevant and inspiring. And not as uncommon as I, and doubtless many people, think and believe.

A truly beautiful book.

5.0 out of 5 stars A MUST read for any Christian (or anybody), 19 Jan. 2012
love reading "marsy" (Scotland) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
First of all know that this book is totally Christian. Having said that, I believe it is totally wonderful for anyone who reads it (I am a Christian right enough so I'm definitely biased)
It is beautifully written and beautifully expressed using lovely examples of God's amazing grace. It also exposes the judgmentalism and self-righteousness in many of us who call ourselves Christian.
Philip Yancey is so honest and unreligious and he challenges our thinking.
The church is crying out for this book as is the rest of the world. I really really recommend this book for everyone who has judged others or who suffers from guilt. It is the best I have ever read on the subject of grace. BEAUTIFUL, please read this, you wont be disappointed.

4.0 out of 5 stars Stories of grace and ungrace, 19 Dec. 2012
P. McCauley - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a very useful book for someone trying to understand something fundamental to Christian belief - grace. Yancey writes mostly from his personal experiences and stories from others about grace (and ungrace), what it really entails and why it is so essential for Christian life. It also highlights many of the dangers we can face if we refuse to show grace to others, or fail to understand what that actually means. This is a very down-to-earth book, Yancey writes in a way that is easy to understand and relate to. He doesn't just tell, he shows.

4.0 out of 5 stars Compassionate and enlightening, 25 Sept. 2012
J. Dawson (Edinburgh, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Although as a society we are probably more secular than ever before, religion plays a huge role in our lives, particularly on the world stage where it influences politics and global decision making. Unfortunately this blend of religion and political power is often a toxic one, so Philip Yancey's book is a welcome reminder of the philosophy that lies at the heart of Christianity.

Grace is the concept of giving a gift that is entirely undeserved - it can be seen in forgiveness, charity, and unconditional love. Unfortunately it is often all too absent in organised religion. Yancey explores what grace means, its power, its presence and frequent lack thereof, and the effect it has on its recipients and the giver.

This is a highly accessible book exploring a concept which should prove moving regardless of the reader's personal beliefs, and Yancey deserves plaudits for his own grace. It is clear to me that I do not share many of his religious beliefs and yet his writing here often embodies the compassion and lack of judgement which lies at the heart of true Christianity and yet is so seldom found in religious organisations.

What's So Amazing About Grace?
What's So Amazing About Grace? by Philip Yancey (Paperback - 1 Feb. 2002)