5.0 out of 5 stars Something Illogical!
Published on 15 Nov 2001 by nickturnbull@lineone.net

3.0 out of 5 stars Yancey told one side of the story well
Well-written as are all of Yancey's books, full of passion and good ideas, What's so Amazing About Grace is also seriously out of balance, in my opinion. The uncritical adulation heaped upon the book by the Christian community, and Yancey's willingness to accept that adulation (see his own comments above, and also the reviews on the cover of the book) reveals, it...
Published on 13 July 1999

5.0 out of 5 stars Something Illogical!, 15 Nov 2001
"The biggest disease today is not leprosy or cancer. It's the feeling of being uncared for or unwanted, of being deserted and alone". ( Mother Theresa). This is exactly what author Phillip Yancey knows only too well, and thus addresses the issue head on. Throughout the book, he paints a picture of 'Grace on Tap' for those who feel guilty, lonely, forsaken, useless and failures. At the very centre of this art piece stands a God who does the illogical for those who have never experienced such love, and there is a clear challenge for those who claim to be followers of this God, to join Him in this cause.
This is an honest look at life, at our religious institutions, our relationships and our prejudices. It is a book that has brought hope to thousands that there is a cure for this great 'disease'. Read the stories, feel the heart ache, sense the love, and be inspired!

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't be put off reading this just because its popular, 1 Dec 2003
As my review title suggests I had this book sitting on my shelf for ages. I had heard people rave about it, but that really put me of reading it because so often I am dissapointed by the quality and content of books that become "popular" amongst christians. I tend to find ( feel free to disagree ) that what appeals is the lowest common denominator.
However this is different.
Yancy tackles the issue of how we are to respond to others in the light of the way that God responds to us in a way which is both theologically deep and totally practical, encouraging us to see others through the eyes of a God who has forgiven us without demand.
It is a great book, and I challenge anyone to read it and not be changed in the way they think of being gracious towards others in the light of how God has been gracious towards them.
Enjoy

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, thought-provoking, must buy!, 23 Jan 2002
MR J GARDNER (Fulham,, London, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Yancey takes the concept of God's grace and 'earths it'. What does it mean to us...undeserved merit, and how do we 'reflect' it? This book is awesome, challenging, rivoting, and will change the way you think about things. If you're looking for one book - apart from the Bible - this is it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding! Right On!!! Right ON!!! Right On!!! Read this!!, 5 Nov 1998
By A Customer
I just finished "What's so Amazing about Grace?" last night. I've contacted three people so far to suggest this book. As I've heard one minister say, "This may be the best book of the decade, if not the best in the last 50 years." For so long, as a christian, I have struggled with these issues of how little the "christian" community (including myself at times) as a whole demonstrates the Good News. I've have also struggled with calling myself "christian" for what it implies to so many people-- due to much of the "ungrace" demonstrated by many christians and churches. This book tells me I'm not crazing. EVERY christian should read this book, EVERY, especially those involved in church leadership! I believe Phillip Yancey challenges the "church", much like Jesus Christ challenged the people of his time to love, and love boldly. It's refreshing to know that people who may have been wounded by the church, just may be healed after reading this book-- quite possibly that may be everyone in some capacity. Upon finishing the book and wiping the tears from my eyes, all I could think was, "RIGHT ON! RIGHT ON,RIGHT ON! OUTSTANDING!!!"

5.0 out of 5 stars Here's What's Amazing about Grace, 4 May 2000
By A Customer
How can I add anything to all the rave reviews of this book? Why does everyone love it so much? Two reasons: the fact of God's grace and the fact that Yancey conveys that grace in a well-written book that is moving and touching. Yancey -- praise the Lord! -- is one conservative Christian who understands that Christianity is about God's love and forgiveness and not about a wrathful, rule-enforcing God who forgives grudgingly. And Yancey has a way of conveying this message with art and feeling. I have already bought multiple copies of this book to give to friends. I consider it a must-read for anyone looking for God's love.

5.0 out of 5 stars Yancey will whipe off the dust from your Bible, 26 Mar 2002
The word "grace" is used and missused most of time without a proper undestanding. Churches preach about it, believers us it, referring to God, but most of the time the proper and shocking understanding of the GRACE will be missing. Reading this book you will find yourself re-evaluating your understanding about God, you will find your faith measured, but most of all, you will feel that God's grace is really a precious gift for you and for the whole world.
God bless you and enrich your life through this wonderfully unusual book.

5.0 out of 5 stars THE PERFECT ANIDOTE TO LEGALISM, 21 Jun 1999
By A Customer
If you're a Christian, or not a Christian, or (most) especially if you have tendencies toward "legalism" and just want to know the truth about the uniqueness of Christianity and what actually sets it apart: then, trust me, this book is for you. Yancey trains a discerning eye on the most needed and necessary truth from the life and words of Christ: grace (divine, unmerited favor) reaching to the depths of the human abyss. True, we don't deserve it; BUT YOU DESERVE THIS BOOK. RUSH OUT AND READ IT CAREFULLY. It will untangle a lot of tricky questions about what is genuine Christianity, and what is the phoney baloney religiosity that sometimes passes for it.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is what real Christianity is all about!, 25 Oct 1997
By A Customer
When asked what was totally unique to Christianity, the great C.S. Lewis once responded, "Oh, that's easy. It's grace."
But what exactly is grace? Read this book and find out. Mr. Yancey brilliantly explains grace in terms anyone can understand. This book opened my eyes, my heart, and made me weep for joy and for sorrow--for all of us who miss the greatest gift ever given to mankind.
Grace is a gift--can't be bought, won, or stolen. It is total goodness and love given to those who deserve it, not at all. To all who failed to understand the parable of the Prodigal Son--or sided with the older brother who had not left home to find ruin--this book illuminates the seed core of what it means to call yourself a Christian. But read it at your peril--you may find a truth about yourself, that you may not want to face.
I have a hard cover of this book--and fully intend to buy a case when it's published as a paperback, and give it to everyone I know!

5.0 out of 5 stars Grace makes beauty out of ugly things, 26 Jan 2001
The concept of Grace is making a comeback. The worlds biggest selling secular rock band, U2 wrote a song on their last album called "Grace" which closed with the line "Grace makes beauty out of ugly things." After the deaths of Mother Teresa and Princess Diana interest in their lives has remained, more or less, constant. The principal attraction is the grace they embodied toward the oppressed in their tireless work under difficult circumstances.
So why then hasn't the church had more to say about Grace? Do we really know what it is? God's love for us, without ceasing, fully aware of our legion moral failings is after all a uniquely Christian concept. Philip Yancey is concerned with Grace because he is convinced it is the greatest gift the church can give to the world. It is what should make Christians different. Grace does not count the number of professions of faith on a Sunday. Grace does not even pretend superiority over gays, those who cheat on their partners, addicts of any sort, the foul mouthed, those who look, speak, or think differently from us. Grace does not classify people by their ethical correctness. Grace loves. Grace isn't earnt, it is given freely, without favour or condasencion. Yancey's approach to this is to show Grace through stories rather than make a scientific study. This keeps the subject alive, because Grace, above all other subjects is an attitude to be adopted toward another, and not a choice to be made between expressing or witholding an ethical right or wrong. At it's apex, Grace is the matrix in which an ethical opinion must be expressed if it is to be a reflection of God's attitude. Ethics would stone the adulterous woman, Grace saves her from the death then tells her to stop doing it. This is the point; this is what God does for us. He doesn't slam a book of rules down on us all at once. But he loves us so that, little by little we fulfill the letter of the law (ethics) and the spirit of it (Grace).
This storytelling strategy also makes it a compelling and engaging read, of grace lived out in hard situations: the wife who forgives and counsels her ex-husband's mistress, after he (a church minister) has moved on to yet another woman, for instance.
I found this book got under my skin. Those close to me found me raving about it and asking the question "what does grace say?" in the face of difficult decisions. It's like putting on a pair of contact lenses marked "This is God's law filled with Grace" as opposed to "This is the law." The ethical standards don't change but the attitude in them and response will, and always in the direction of expressing love as God wishes his love to be expressed at the time, which marks this as a truly worthwhile Christian Book. Grace does indeed make beauty out of ugly things, us.

5.0 out of 5 stars Our greatest need, God's greatest gift, 28 April 2001
By A Customer
Philip Yancey corrects and sheds vital light on perhaps the single most misunderstood Christain doctrine, that of grace. Using an array of captivating real life stories and demonstrating a vast knowledge of culture, history, literature and human nature, Yancey demonstrates, through God's word, how both our greatest need and God's greatest gift, is grace. He poignantly defines 'grace' in the following way, 'there is nothing we can do to make God love us more. There is nothing we can do to make God love us less.' Such is the true nature of grace, grace which does not calculate on the basis of merit or profit but is freely, generously and above all, unconditionally given. He demonstrates how throughout the ages, men and women, through many and various ways cries, have expressed an unquenchable longing for this grace.
He also calls Christians to immitate their Father, to work hand in hand with him to bring grace to a graceless planet, to walk in the footsteps of Christ. His words are moving, profound, original and deeply relevant.

What's So Amazing About Grace?
What's So Amazing About Grace? by Philip Yancey (Paperback - 1 Feb 2002)
8.00