5.0 out of 5 stars A very helpful book
I really enjoy this book. However I have another serious reason for writing to you.

I wanted to purchase a map of Turkey recently to help my wife and I with our forthcoming holiday. However, somehow when I tried to cancel my ordering, MULTIPLE ordering appeared in the 'shopping basket' and I can't find the way to remove them and start again.

PLEASE...
Published 18 months ago by Gerald M. Brooke

1.0 out of 5 stars Lone voice of dissent, from what I can tell
Am I the only one bothered by the fact that the 'fair and balanced' approach Strobel insists he will take in this investigation is anything but? It doesn't seem terribly objective to me to devote a chapter each to experts who go about basically all making the same 'argument from ignorance', then not give the same opportunity to those on the other side of the debate...
Published on 29 Jan. 2008 by S Corrigal

2.0 out of 5 stars A Case for Ignorance, 31 Aug. 2004
This review is from: The Case for a Creator (Hardcover)
I was initially very excited when i first read this book because i thought that the information presented was new. However, not long after finishing the book, and after a small amount of online researching, I was dissappointed to find out that many of the 'experts' that Strobel interviews are not widely accepted as experts at all. Many of the biological arguments put forward are not that new and most have been countered by quite damning rebuffs.
My main criticism is that the case for a creator relies predominantly on 'arguments from ignorance'. E.g. 'we see X and Y in the universe -how could this possibly be explained without a God?!'. Traditionally these kind of arguments have to be withdrawn over the years as scientific discovery and knowledge advances. This kind of argumentation often leads to a retreating 'god of the gaps' mentality.
If you're already fed up with creationists' strawman arguments then avoid the first few chapters containing interviews with creationist scientific 'experts'.
Nonetheless, I found the book was easy to read and thought provoking, if not only as a springboard to reading more carefully around the range of subject matter covered by the book.

5.0 out of 5 stars A case for the divine, 14 May 2013
Excellent well developed thoughts and answers to old worn out, skeptical and bigoted hypotheses. The reasoning of Mr. Strobel is delightfully refreshing and fascinating in his approach to reveal the timeless truth and reality of an eternal divine being.

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting, well researched, 20 July 2006
Francis King "Frank King" (Calgary, AB, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Case for a Creator (Hardcover)
s there a God? Did he/she/it design the universe, delicately place Earth within it and then carefully create humanity? One of the best-known apologists for orthodox Christianity says yes, of course, in a book subtitled A Journalist Investigates Scientific Evidence That Points Toward God.

Mr. Strobel, a former Chicago Daily News reporter, certainly did his homework tackling the subject. He interviews eight God-believing PhD heavy thinkers from the halls of academia and, in a conversational style that puts him and his ego right in the thick of things, gets down to the nitty gritty of existence.

It's an easy and fascinating read, ranging from exploring if there is a parallel universe to describing the complex makeup of protein to the question of whether or not consciousness and the mind are separate things. Educational? Definitely.

At one point Mr. Strobel and author/professor Michael Behe ponder bacterial flagellum, a propeller-like biological machine for transporting bacteria. According to Mr. Behe, flagellum can spin at 10,000 revolutions per minute, then stop within a quarter turn and spin in the opposite direction at the same speed.

Flagellum are so complex between 30 and 35 proteins are needed to create a functioning unit and, Mr. Strobel writes, no Darwin-loving scientist has ever been able to propose a step-by-step evolutionary process that would lead to its creation. It was God, they both say. And I agree.

Wading through this can sometimes be a bit heavy, but Mr. Strobel's journalistic roots usually pull things back to a level most of us can understand while still feeling intellectually challenged.

But there are two problems. First, how many atheists are really, really out there? Not many, I suggest. A majority of Canadians, brought up in a society that discourages pondering deeper, important issues of existence, simply figure there's probably a God. And that's that.

So Mr. Strobel goes overboard, especially in taking veiled shots at "Darwinists" (as he likes to call scientists who believe evolution will eventually explain everything) to prove something that doesn't need proving.

Secondly, the subtitle of this book is wrong. Mr. Strobel hasn't been a journalist for 20 years or more. He's an evangelical Christian making a very good living writing books (Most notably, The Case for Faith and The Case for Christ) defending his faith. As a fellow Christian, I have no problem with his books or the income he's earned from them. As a journalist, however, I raise the flag of protest.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book is amazing!!!, 11 Sept. 2013
This review is from: The Case for a Creator: A Journalist Investigates Scientific Evidence That Points Toward God (Paperback)
I would recommend this to anyone who genuinely wants to investigate life for themselves. Don't just believe what you are told. Find out for yourself.

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 13 July 2014
Interesting read. Poses many questions, which have answers here….

3.0 out of 5 stars A Useful Introduction To Thinking About Life's Origins, 8 April 2009
I liked this book as it made science interesting and accessible. Strobels' background as an investigative journalist is evident throughout the book, making it read a little bit like an exciting story of detective work. A lot of people who may not normally read science books would probably find this book engaging enough to keep their attention. The book is written as a series of interviews with various scientists drawn from different fields, and also with William Lane Craig, the brilliant Christian philosopher.

I felt that it did have some shortcomings, though. It was apparently written to help intelligent design believers feel strong and secure in their beliefs. This would be a fine approach had Strobel been willing to put forward a greater number of rebuttals to the arguments give by his interviewees, but instead he tends to leave the impression that their arguments are almost unassailable. Although this book is put forth as a 'case for a Creator' rather than a 'debate about whether there's a Creator', you can't make a strong case for something without examining and addressing its weaknesses. Strobel only spoke to those who advocate intelligent design, and as someone without a background in science, perhaps he didn't know which questions he could ask which might really test his subject's arguments. Overall, then, the picture is incomplete. Basically, it's a good book, but ought to be treated as a jumping-off point for further research rather than a complete picture.

4.0 out of 5 stars Small Group Study, 10 Mar. 2012
One member of our Bible Study Group suggested to us that we do this six week study on the Case for a Creator. As there are no scientists within the group there was some hesitation at first, but we decided to attempt it and greatly benefited from doing it. In the end everyone said how helpful and inspiring the study was.

We actually covered the six week study in three weeks by making use of the DVD and by preparing our own notes and questions using the Study booklet and also the book itself. Taking time to consider the greatness and vastness of the universe, with its amazing fine tuning, followed by a study of the human cell and the knowledge stored in our DNA, was absolutely mind blowing. The Christian belief that the God who made all this should come into our world and be crucified by the creatures He had made, so that they might be reconciled to God, left the group feeling humbled and inspired to worship.

4.0 out of 5 stars Can deep stuff like this be successfully watered down?, 5 Mar. 2010
love reading "marsy" (Scotland) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
I bought this after being asked to defend my faith regarding creation v evolution. I bought the student edition fully aware that I am not the smartest when it comes to science. I'm glad I did because I found this confusing enough! The style of writing is friendly and chatty; however, the materials it deals with are very complex but I suppose it dumbs it down sufficiently for someone of my intellect.
The arguments themselves are convincing but they are one-sided and I feel some difficults issues are left out.
It has given me more understanding of this topic though and if you are really interested and scientific minded then I'm sure the full edition would be preferable. I have read some of his less complex subjects and found them excellent. This gives away the basics but certainly doesn't explore the themes in any great depth and perhaps doesn't provide an entirely balanced examination.

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 3 Sept. 2006
Wendy Jones "wjones7423" (Dundee, Scotland) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Case for a Creator (Hardcover)
having read the Case for Christ, and the Case for Faith, I was disappointed in this book. Both the earlier books were easy to read and I rate Lee Strobel highly as a writer. Although the book was extremely well researched, I found it very difficult to read, and did not understand much of it. This was a pity, as this was an area that I was keen to explore further. I am sure there are many people who will enjoy this book, but I beleive you would need to have a scientific mind to grapple with the issues. Maybe I will try the Case for a Creator for Kids which hopefully will not be as difficult to read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Jaw-dropping! The Case for a Creator, Lee Strobel, 3 Oct. 2011
This review is from: The Case for a Creator (Hardcover)
A thoroughly compelling and jaw-dropping read, bringing a well rounded, logical, scientific approach to the all important question of whether or not there is a God, and why we are here. Strobel deals with a plethora of questions and investigates the scientific basis for God's existence across all scientific disciplines. Evolution is just one theory, to base an opinion on this alone is meaningless when set in the broader context. Strobel does a good job of making the science accessible, though in some parts you may need to persevere. But persevere you must - it could change your life!

Used & New from: £0.01