5.0 out of 5 stars thought provoking but you have to be picky.
Published on 28 Jun 2007 by C. Mackenzie

2.0 out of 5 stars I am not yet convinced by Lee Strobel
Published on 26 Oct 2010 by Stephen Oberauer

2.0 out of 5 stars I am not yet convinced by Lee Strobel, 26 Oct 2010
This review is from: The Case for Faith: A Journalist Investigates the Toughest Objections to Christianity (Paperback)
Having discussed some questions which I have about things I don't understand in the bible, some friends recommended that I get this book and read chapter 6. My main question is whether hell is God's way of taking revenge or whether he's doing it in order to punish (correct a problem). If it was revenge, which it seems to be, then it contradicts the idea of God being loving.

I read chapter 6, "A loving God would never torture people in hell". Lee Strobel doesn't really say much himself, but quotes other people; mainly someone named "Moreland".

At the end Lee comments ..."And I believed that Moreland's analysis, overall, was sufficient to knock down hell as an obstacle."

Unfortunately, the analysis was not good enough for me. The only positive I got from Moreland's analysis was that he had a few slightly reasonable arguments to suggest that hell might not be excruciatingly painful.

Some of the arguments I consider to be simply untrue, especially the concluding quote. For example, it explains that the reason people go to hell is because they... "want to be at the center of the universe." Of course the bible doesn't teach that; it teaches that people who don't believe in Jesus go to hell. I can't imagine anyone believing in hell, but choosing to go there because they "want to be at the center of the universe."

Another problem I have is that it doesn't attempt to answer my main question. I don't expect him to be psychic and read my mind, knowing exactly which question I'm asking, but I consider my question to logical enough to be considered in such a chapter. Instead, it assumes that some sort of hell / "punishment" is necessary, without explaining what good will come out of it.

Anyway, after all that, my point is that I am not yet convinced by Lee Strobel. I need simple, direct answers to my questions. For example, when hell is spoken of in the bible, it is referred to as punishment in some instances, but revenge in others. The two are completely different, so which is it... is it punishment, or revenge?

Stephen Oberauer
Author of The Mischievous Nerd's Guide to World Domination

5.0 out of 5 stars thought provoking but you have to be picky., 28 Jun 2007
C. Mackenzie "Rusty" (West Midlands, U.K) - See all my reviews
The book was challenging and could provoke thought for genuine people trying to find answers . there is a lot of logical arguments and expertise from people who originally approached christianity with skepticism.i used to be a christian but am trying to review all the evidence to make an informed choice.this book has helped to start to get my brain ticking and i have already passed it onto another friend.

5.0 out of 5 stars Quite helpful, 3 Nov 2000
By A Customer
As a highschool philosophy student, lately I've faced an increased battle between what I know through my relationship with God and what I can understand through reason. I found this book very helpful. It's discussions about topics that few mainstream Christians address showed that faith can indeed stand under criticism. While I recognize that he was out prove that Christianity was a valid standpoint (so mabye an eensy-weensy biased), he DID ask some pretty pointed questions to competent Christian philosophers and scientists. While it may not engage hardcore philosophers, I personally appreciated its appeal to the everyday, casual thinker. I was also blown away by the story of Billy Graham's friend, an evangelist turned aggressive opponent of Christianity. I thought it was an effective opening example to what uncountered doubt can do to faith (or the possibility of faith). Well, I suggest this book, especially to those who remember that we can't approach God completely by human wisdom or reasoning anyway (hehehe).

4.0 out of 5 stars Still objective and relevant, 1 Jun 2011
Following a format similar to his other books, Lee Strobel presents a strong challenge to the challengers of Christian faith. Is it reasonable, what about everything that's wrong with faith, why would you believe, what about...well, everything? Strobel deals with all this fairly, objectively, and with detailed investigation of both the facts and the emotions that drive the questions.

This book continues to be a strong defender of faith and will be a helpful aid to those who find their faith challenged. But more than that it will stand up to scrutiny by those who challenge the concept of faith in general and the truth of the Christian faith in particular. Highly recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars The Case for Faith, 10 April 2011
K. E. Rowlands "Melissa" (Bristol UK) - See all my reviews
Lee Strobel is a former atheist who some years ago set out to disprove the validity of the Christian faith and instead became a convert and the author of many books arguing the case for Christianity. In this book he gives some cogently reasoned responses to the eight most common objections raised by non-believers. Not always an easy read, it could in my opinion be quite substantially cut without losing substance, but is well worth the effort.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good book, not great quality paper or cover, 5 July 2014
Very good book, not great quality paper or cover, but it's what's on the inside, so it's all good. Maybe 1 off would be a better price

5.0 out of 5 stars Thought provoking, 27 May 2013
Silver Pixie (At the end of the rainbow...) - See all my reviews
This book covers some very difficult questions with clarity and confidence.
The author doesn't claim to know everything but attempts to break down the barriers that keep so many people from investigating Christianity.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 24 Mar 2013
R. Politt (Hampshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This book was just what I needed to read. It answered so many questions and is set out in an investigative style.

4.0 out of 5 stars Key questions about Christianity answered, 22 Dec 2011
Lee Strobel probes thoroughly and objectively the key questions that non Christians frequently ask about Christianity. Not an easy read, but a very rewarding one. Cetainly laid to rest several of the doubts I had.

5.0 out of 5 stars A very good read, 29 July 2011
I loved this book as it took some of the hard questions I had on my mind away. A really good read for someone that wants to have all those christian hard questions explained.