5.0 out of 5 stars A REFRESHING PERSPECTIVE
I couldn't put this book down and found it every bit as riveting as 'What's so Amazing about Grace' - which in turn was the best Christian genre book I have ever read.
Published on 14 Jun. 2003

1.0 out of 5 stars Stay away from this. Not at all biblical. The Gospel is non existent here. Completely man centred.
To quote Greg Gilbert "Yancey makes the grandiose and hackneyed claim in The Jesus I Never Knew that he is doing something new and daring. He is, he claims, attempting to go straight to the source, to see Jesus as He was before being dirtied up by all the traditions of the church (though one is puzzled by his inordinate reliance on fifteen movies about the life of...
Published 12 months ago by M. Jordan

5.0 out of 5 stars A REFRESHING PERSPECTIVE, 14 Jun. 2003
This review is from: The Jesus I Never Knew (Paperback)
Philip Yancey doesn't try to tow the 'Christian party line' about Jesus, instead he goes back to the most informative source we have on Jesus, i.e. the gospels, and looks at them objectively. The outcome is a refreshing portrayal of the most remarkable character in history.
If you think of Jesus as being a gentle, rather harmless character with long flowing blonde locks who was a really good bloke but nothing more - this book will make you think again!
Jesus once asked 'Who do you say that I am?' of his disciples. Whoever you think He is/was, regardless of whether you are a Christian or not, I think you will come away from reading this book with a much expanded viewpoint. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really very good - find out who Jesus REALLY was., 6 July 2007
This review is from: The Jesus I Never Knew (Paperback)
I haven't read that many books by christian authors but i definitely found this one one of the most interesting, unable-to-put-down ones!

I'd never really thought much before of the controversy Jesus, as a real living person in the first century, must have caused by his actions and his claims.

This book gives insight to the social and religious background that Jesus grew up in and makes the story of his ministry all the more compelling as we realise exactly what it meant to say what he said, do what he did, what it meant to follow him. It really helped me to put myself in the perspective of being in the first century and realising what a dynamic person he must have been.

Also, it made him all the more seem like a more real person and not someone whom i've heard a few "fairytale stories" about. He was real. He did live and he was very controversial for his time - and still is now!!

A really good book if you want to know more about the man Jesus really was and understand the times in which he grew up.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ready for a shock?, 22 Nov. 2003
Ginan Tonic (Shenfield, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: The Jesus I Never Knew (Paperback)
I found this book honest, compelling and extraordinarily helpful. Philip Yancey takes your childhood preconceptions of a perpetually calm, rarely smiling, stained glass window Christ (who always seems to look remarkably like Robert Powell!) and replaces them with a vivid and deeply real person full of energy, strong emotions, awesome in His restraint & every bit human. It is shocking, refreshing and convincing and has completely changed the way I see Jesus. Read it and be amazed too!

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring and challenging, 2 Feb. 2000
This review is from: The Jesus I Never Knew (Paperback)
It is not often that a book brings such a fresh perspective on things we already know. Yancey voices many of the "unmentionables" in Christian circles, particularly the "why" questions. I fully identified with the man Jesus described here, as opposed to the image that had been developed for me by many of my previous influences. You cannot help but be absorbed by the challenge that Yancey so clearly articulates.

5.0 out of 5 stars An enlightening deeply felt portrait of Jesus, 26 Feb. 2000
This review is from: The Jesus I Never Knew (Paperback)
I could not put this book down! Yancey's search for the real - historical and divine - Jesus is a wonderful read. A must for any person willing to be challenged to get closer to Christ and understand who He is and was. Yancey writes clearly and approachably.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thoroughly inspiring., 17 July 2001
This review is from: The Jesus I Never Knew (Paperback)
I cannot recommend this book highly enough. Over the last 6 months, it has been the basis of everything God has taught me - about grace, about works, and about loving others. Yancey's portrait of Jesus shines fresh light on his mission here on earth, something we so often bypass in the search to become perfect Christians: Jesus came to love the unloveable. This book issues a challenge to the church and to Christians today to see the people around them through Jesus' grace-filled eyes. More than that, it presents a far greater personal challenge - to put Jesus back at the centre of our lives and our hearts; once we have done that, the rest will fall into place. I borrowed this book from a friend a year ago, and still have not given it back; I just don't want to remove it from easy reaching distance! Buy it, buy it, buy it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Food For Thought, 27 Nov. 2003
Heather Negahdar ""Haze"" (Bridgetown, Barbados) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: The Jesus I Never Knew (Paperback)
This book was great food for thought, and I wished that I could buy copies for all of my friends.
Philip Yancy takes an indept look at Jesus's life here on earth and analyse the person Jesus in his ministry,and work for the kingdom. He asks us several times to pause and think.....suggesting that we could possible agree or disagree with certain characteristics written into the gospel of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ.
He also speaks to some degree of the Jewish faith, and how it was applied at that time. It was a good read and I encourage all Christian readers to check it out some time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely life changing, 6 Sept. 2004
This review is from: The Jesus I Never Knew (Paperback)
If you are like me, a modern intellectual person who believes in Jesus and the Gospel but has found your faith restrained by the "but why?" questions, this book is for you! It has absolutely changed my life by significantly changing my views and understanding of God, Jesus and the "but why?" of it all. Philip Yancey uncovers to my mind some of the most intimate characteristics and truths about God and presents the true personality of Jesus in such a way that you can not but fall in love with Him. This book took away all the doubtfull restraints of my faith in Jesus! Get it and read it!

5.0 out of 5 stars A real personal study on the life of Jesus, 3 Jan. 2008
This review is from: The Jesus I Never Knew (Paperback)
Very often, we tend to read the gospel accounts from a more theological perspective. The numerous sermons delivered focus on the teachings of Jesus, and the hypothetical aspects of his life and relationship with others.

However, Philip Yancey does a great job at exploring the personal nature of Jesus, God in human form, on earth, and the very emotions our Lord Jesus Christ must have felt while here on earth.

This book really changed my outlook on Jesus! I would highly recommend this book to anyone who wants to have an in depth look into the life of Jesus, and the relational nature of our Lord Jesus Christ!

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful portrait of Jesus Christ! A brilliant book!,, 22 Sept. 2009
Egil Wold (Norway) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Jesus I Never Knew (Paperback)
This book is very well written; indeed a spiritual page-turner!
Philip Yancey sets out for his own personal quest for for finding the true Jesus of Nazareth. He asks whether not the Church in their attempt to export Jesus, have done their Lord some injustices: have He become too smiling and well-dressed? Have He become too cosy ? If He is The Incarnation of God, the actual Son of God, should not modern people also feel awe towards Him? Have the Church in their attempt to preach Jesus, and understand Him, and dogmatically define Him, also wing-clipped Him and ended up with a Jesus-portrait that is an image of the Son of God in their own likeness?
So Philip Yancey goes to the best sources we have: The Gospel-narratives in the New Testament.
Here he finds a Jesus that are deeper, stranger, more awesome, but also more believable than the Jesus too many sceptically-natured theologians preach today (Note: something these latter mentioned theologians probably are in order to earn credit in a secularized Academic world).
Yancey finds a Jesus that was a Jew, but more than a Jew. Yancey finds a Jesus that belongs to the first century, but was in opposition to much of what the first century represented. Yancey finds a Jesus that are not easily put on a formula, and as author Yancey seems to take seriously that it may not have been easy for the first century-man to a-knowledge Him the Messiah, or even The Son of God.
The book is brilliantly written, serious, and goes straight to the heart of the matter: Who was Jesus? Let our earliest narratives of Him tell their story! Let the evangelists - so disputed, and often disbelieved by modern theologians - say what they say, and let us consider if not Jesus Christ suddenly becomes believable both as historical person and The Son of God when we give the texts a chance as they are handed over to us!
Very good book! It really boosted my faith in the historical truth of the Bible and my interest in Jesus-research! Go and buy, go and read!

The Jesus I Never Knew
The Jesus I Never Knew by Philip Yancey (Paperback - 1 Feb. 2002)