4.0 out of 5 stars A need responded to.
Published on 1 Oct. 2002 by Amazon Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars Yes, but what's the answer?
Where is God when it hurts? - The short answer of course is that God is still there with you. The book starts with quite a gripping scenario and raises a lot of the questions people who are suffering want answered. There's a good explanation on why pain has to exist but after that it degenerates into a rather lengthy ramble of ancedotes and doesn't actually properly...
Published on 2 Feb. 2011 by KJW

4.0 out of 5 stars A need responded to., 1 Oct. 2002
I bought this book when my Uncle and Aunt were both diagnosed with cancer within weeks of each other. In the midst of a very confusing time it described a God that was compassionate and wise and taught me to rest in the security of knowing Him as that. It taught me not to expect safety of the body but safety of the soul. This book is easy to read but some of it's truths can be painful if you are suffering and angry - although that dosen't make them any less true!

5.0 out of 5 stars living with pain, 23 April 2003
By A Customer
i read this book as a chronic pain sufferer. I found it very readable at a time when I didn't feel like reading anything.
He starts by explaining how pain as a response in the human body is actually useful. He then turns to look at what happens when the pain system doesn't function properly with a few very moving case studies. Finally he adds some very useful and practical tips for dealing with pain (either for yourself or to help others).
Along the way we learn that it wasn't part of God's original plan for his people to be in pain. There won't be any bad pain in heaven (yeah!)
This book is both practical and spiritual. Excellent for those in pain / suffering illness or those who know people who are.

5.0 out of 5 stars God is here and yes, it hurts!, 22 Mar. 2001
Philip Yancey tackles this topic fearlessly. As a paraplegic still coming to terms with my own paralysis I found this book very helpful. He doesn't trot out the usual platitudes and he has the courage to say that we have all said the wrong thing in the belief that we were encouraging someone.
This is a book to keep and to ponder. The research is deep. For instance he spent a year talking to a self-help group of dying people. He also gives real life examples of many people who hurt.
The book begins with a treatise on why pain is necessary and can even be regarded as good. He then goes on to talk about pain in general - both physical and emotional.
This is a book for all who are hurting and those who have to live with them. It helped my wife and I greatly.
Dave Dean (T12 Paraplegic)

5.0 out of 5 stars I love it, 30 Mar. 2013
This review is from: Where Is God When It Hurts? (Mass Market Paperback)
Philip Yancey is such a good writer, teacher and theologian. He explains everything in simple terms, never makes the reader feel guilty for asking a difficult question. Life hurts, it hurts those who do not believe in God and it hurts christians too. I would recommend this book to christians to guide us in difficult situations and to non christians so they will understand the source of our strength.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 27 Feb. 2014
This review is from: Where Is God When It Hurts? (Mass Market Paperback)
Philip Yancey really does have the knack of presenting the problem of pain and suffering in an understandable and palatable format. He includes some amazing stories, like that of Brian Sternberg (which is also on reallifestories.org) a world class athlete struck down and paralysed in his youth by a bad fall during training. It is a fascinating book and was very helpful for my disabled mother in law.

5.0 out of 5 stars Well written, but..., 18 Jan. 2014
Radiojock (England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
I spent much time reviewing and adding notes as I read through this book. My own story of living with pain would probably make your hair curl! I won't bore anyone. I'm glad to have read this. It's been its own source of strength to me, but there were some things I didn't fully agree with.

It's good to have the Kindle copy, as I really like adding notes to look back on later.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 22 Jan. 2013
In this book Phillip yancey does an excellent job of discussing the very difficult job of why there is pain in the world he doesn't shy away from difficult points that so many Christians can often gloss over. He faces them directly and offers answers to some of the most difficult questions.

5.0 out of 5 stars REASONABLY PRICED AND GOOD DELOIVERY TO ME, 17 Nov. 2014
REASONABLY PRICED AND GOOD DELOIVERY TO ME, DELIGHTED WITH THIS TRANSACTION.
The content is illuminating AND THE ANALYSIS IS uniquely Yancey's with penetrating comments and insights.
A helpful and challenging read as one would expect from Yancey.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent, 30 Dec. 2013
This book was so timely from all the conversations I'd heard around me. He has answered many of my questions from a biblical and theological standpoint. I got so much from this book and have been recommending it despite having not finished it at the time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very helpful., 11 Jan. 2014
This review is from: Where Is God When It Hurts? (Mass Market Paperback)
This book was exactly what I needed to read at a time when I was questioning a recent, and painful bereavement. His insights and research proved very helpful to me. It offered me a good/healthy perspectives on suffering and where God is in that process.

Where Is God When It Hurts?
Where Is God When It Hurts? by Philip Yancey (Mass Market Paperback - 1 Feb. 1997)