Format: Audio CD|Change

on 11 July 2015
I started reading the Artemis Fowl series a while ago, but didn't really enjoy it. I started reading again recently, and finished the books in less than two weeks. I very much enjoyed the books, and especially liked the interesting and relatable characters, and how their relationships grew and changed throughout the series. I would definitely recommend this series to teenagers, and I hope that if you do choose to read this you love it just as much as I did. I think that you should definitely give it a go, and if you don't enjoy it you should try reading it again in a year or two. Artemis in particular has changed greatly since the first book, as has Holly, Butler, Mulch and every other character. A funny and brilliant series, with some serious parts too. A definite must read for teens.
Well I am a post 5 decades reader and I enthusiastically liked this book. I have found no variation in the writing style over the series unlike the other miserable 3 star reviewers. Colfer just sometimes comes up with something unexpected , and if it is beyond the readers' limited experience, then it is going to confuse and frustrate. My only gripe is that I am totally in love with the demon warlock no 1, who only briefly makes an appearance again. This is only because he reminds me of my black bear baby hamster, the runt my new lady hamster's unexpected litter. Feisty little so and so. Happily the antibiotics worked and I didn't get septicaemia from my bitten finger. Small, powerful, and now sweet and cuddly, perfect match to the little soul two books ago. Bring on the rose petals.
on 11 October 2012
It's a good book with some strong parts and a bit predictable. I like the characters and humour.
I've enjoyed the series and I recommend that readers start at the first and read at least three.
It's a shame that Eoin Colfer has ended the series. But there is a pattern to these books and the child genius is
growing up so maybe it is time for Mr Colfer to invent new things. And who knows what he will invent next?

I'm now halfway through Sean Yeager and the DNA Thief Sean Yeager and the DNA Thief (Sean Yeager Adventures)which is different and also very good and funny.
If you like Artemis I think you might like The DNA Thief too.

I'm looking forward to Mr Colfer's next book whatever it might be.
on 25 August 2012
I have enjoyed reading Artemis Fowl series and have passed all books to my grandchildren who also enjoy the stories, as well as to some of my colleagues.

The story was enjoyable from start to finish - once again I had difficulty in putting down the book as the story was so intense. I carried the book everywhere so that I did not waste a minute.

I am sad that Artemis has now grown up and "retired" as his adventures were entralling to read, and always guaranteed to make you gasp in wonder or laugh out loud. All the characters were unique and believable.

Thank you for giving me entertainment and laughter for many years. I hope Eoin Colfer can provide us with another series to continue.
on 6 August 2012
I have been a fan of the Artemis Fowl books from day one. Over the years I felt that they have only been getting better. The Last Guardian has the potentially to be the last book of the series, and as such should have been his best work yet. Sadly I didn't feel this way. The author seems to spend far more time explaining back story then I felt was necessary. And although there is some character development, the same things seem to happen. Artemis has to come up with a plan, Butler has to be the muscle and Holly has to do some great shooting.

Though I would still recommend this book to any lover of the series, don't expect the greatest writing, and you will have a great time with this book.
on 19 November 2012
This is most certainly one of my favourite series of books, Artemis Fowl. Being the last book for the series, it is sad to know that when I flip the last page of this book, it will be the end of Artemis Fowl's story, no more adventures.

This is a book that is simple to understand and vivid in description, certainly an engaging book. The Artemis Fowl series is simple enough for children who are venturing into the realm of picture-less books, yet narrative and descriptive enough to keep them interested (as it did me). However, it is vivd enough for relaxed reading of teenagers and adults who are into fantasy books.

Certainly a good read!
on 12 August 2012
This lasted novel from Colfer is a good read for those who are avid followers of the series such as myself, however I believe that it is not his best one. For those fans who are sick of Artemis being always able to have complete control of the situation this would be a good one as oftentimes events are beyond his control through pure intellect. The ending is familiar to many recent movies, tv series and novels that I have watched or read recently so could be deemed as predictable and somewhat cliched. However these are the only faults I can find in an otherwise great novel which I definitely enjoyed being a fan of the series.
on 29 July 2012
I became a fan of this series one or two years ago and worked my way through. I still think the first 3 are probably the best, I wasn't as keen on the last 2 but was intrigued to see where it would go.
This book starts of right into the action, Opal is back and she wants revenge. When Artemis, Holly & Foaly discover just what she is planning, they know they have a big battle ahead of them.
There is a bit of confusion with past, present and future selves after the Time Paradox issue, I was actually puzzled in a few places, had to try not to think about it too hard or it made my brain hurt!
To be honest I was hoping for something spectacular in this book, to let it go out with a bang! After all this is apparently the last one. But I was actually left a bit deflated. There seemed to be a lot of things set up that could have led to something Epic, but they always seemed to just move to something else. I wasn't wowed at all in this book, which is a shame because I really wanted to love it.
I did enjoy getting back into the world and catching up with the characters, like seeing friends you haven't seen for a while. Holly and Butler are in this one a lot and I love them both, Butler's dry humour is great. Mulch is also back, he always grosses me out a bit, but makes me laugh at the same time.
Overall the plot was a little confusing and slow in places but did have good premise. The character development is good, it's amazing to see how far they have all come since book 1.
If you are a fan of the series then you should definitely read it, you'd regret not picking it up.
on 11 August 2012
All authors can fall in to the trap when writing a series. The first has the amazing, the second the incredible, the third the unbelievable and the fourth the world ending cataclysmic. Doc E E Smith did it with his Lensman series, but managed to extricate himself with an appropriate finale. Colfer doesn't quite make it. You end up flicking through pages of description of all the world changing consequences of evil domination to pick up the nuggets of Artemis's genius, but by now you are thinking the way he does, and the end is as obvious as watching an old episode of Tom & Jerry. Predictable and disappointing.
on 30 September 2013
Now that I've finished reading this series I am actually sad to see this world end. But what is brilliant about this book is the character development and the bonds especially between artemis, holly and butler. Eoin Colfer did not waste time getting this story started and since this is the last book what better way than to save the whole world from a psychotic pixie. If you have read the whole series it goes without saying that this is a must read. and for anyone who has not read the series I would happily recommend this series as it will not disappoint.