1 Review

5.0 out of 5 stars He Never Cried as a Baby, 1 April 2014
This book reads a little like a reference manual, able to pick and choose your issue of the moment.. That's very cool. However, I fell completely into reading this book and couldn't stop. No, it isn't an epic novel but my favorite topic is my son.

My son is fifteen. He and I used to be very close. I still feel glimmers of closeness. But sometime in the last year or two his eyebrows seem to have knitted together in a permanent scowl and every word I say is met with indifference laced with a little dusting of impatient disgust...he is a good kid, no real problems yet. But wow...where did that laughing happy child go? He seems happy with his friends, but I feel like I don't know ANYTHING about his life. He was always so sweet and sensitive, and I get puberty, but I need to be certain that the sweet, sensitive kid I knew will emerge as a kind and understanding adult after these weird new changes pass.

This book is fascinating. The viewpoints from different boys, the descriptions of the players in groups of friends...right on the nose with the descriptions of my son and his friends. It is as if this book gives me a chance to see inside my kid's head and understand what he is really thinking when all he says is "I'm good."

The information and statistics are nothing short of alarming. Eight out of 10 acceptable college applications are girls? Our boys are dying on the vine. That is unacceptable. 500 and some boys commit suicide for every 100 and some girls? Horrifying. I can't sit back and accept "I'm good, Mom" as an answer. But prying and demanding will get me nowhere. This book gives great insights. I also plan to spend more time ensuring that my BOY gets what he needs from his school and administration.

A must read for parents of young boys. A must read for teachers and administrators; please stop neglecting our boys. And if you could possibly get them to do it, a great read for teenage boys too.