5.0 out of 5 stars next step, 5 May 2013
This review is from: Knitting Pattern Essentials: Adapting and Drafting Knitting Patterns for Great Knitwear (Paperback)
The book covers the basics and then moves on to adapting patterns or even making up your own patterns. Easy and logical to follow, it doesn't get tangled up in unnecessary complications .It should inspire confidence in most knitters.
Not many patterns ,so don't buy it as a pattern book, and the yarns are probably not easily available in the UK so you have to be ready to think things through rather than just following blindly.But you should be able to copy garmets you like by following the instructions.

5.0 out of 5 stars Eye opening book, 13 Dec. 2013
L. Clifford (Northants, UK) - See all my reviews
Wish I had had this book decades ago. It explains very clearly how to liberate the knitter from rigidly following patterns.

I bought it as I had a problem with a garment that I had knitted but never quite completed (I'd changed the neckline of a pattern but then wasn't sure how to organise the stitches for the neckband. As hoped, the book perfectly answered the question. However, it also explains how to completely design your own garments from scratch. A bit beyond me, I think, at my time of life but I may regain the confidence of youth if I use this book more!

Would definitely recommend to any confident knitter.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best 'How To' books out there, 13 Sept. 2013
Annie Wright ""craftymadam" (Thetford, Norfolk, England) - See all my reviews
This book deserves everything that has ever been said about it. It has fantastic ideas for pattern making to suit your shape and how to include all of these ideas into your knits.

Brilliant, given in easy to understand lessons and once you have mastered the techniques in this book you will probably always use the ideas in it.

4.0 out of 5 stars It has grown on me., 26 Aug. 2013
The author is clearly very, very clever. Sadly, I am not. Therefore I was somewhat daunted by this book, which makes knitting seem more like a highly scientific form of draughtsmanship.
It is possible that I will edit this review when I have had time to actually try putting the methods into practice... but while there is Ravelry, Knitting Paradise or the Incredible, Custom Fit Raglan Sweater (look it up on Ravelry so you can see what different people have done with it) I doubt whether I shall get around to doing that.
I am sad that I am unlikely to use this book, as the author has obviously gone to an awful lot of trouble. The person who will use it is probably training to be a professional designer, not just a granny who likes to knit without being tied too closely to a pattern.

OK, a month later, and I have upgraded my rating to four stars. This is because I have found that I referred to this book twice for advice on the necklines of different garments I was knitting. The hood was as I expected to do it, straight up from the neck and join at the top, which is what I like, although some critics would say that a rounded, fitted shape is superior. The other was more useful - a roll neck that didn't want to roll right. I frogged it and reknitted it as explained in this book, and it now behaves beautifully.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good buy!, 28 Aug. 2013
Good buy for experienced & beginner knitters.Lots of info, easy to understand. Patterns can be easily adapted to suit individual requirements.

5.0 out of 5 stars If you want to alter a pattern or design your ..., 5 July 2014
Linda Macdonald "Linda" (Faroe Islands) - See all my reviews
If you want to alter a pattern or design your own this book is an absolute must have. There is A LOT of math, but it is very cleverly done and brings something new to the table.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book. Explains things easy, 13 July 2014
gypsy (Hampshire, UK) - See all my reviews
Great book. Explains things easy. I have always had lots of different ideas for knitting or changing patterns that aren't quite right for me and this explains exactly how to get things right without you needing a degree. Well impressed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good book, 19 May 2014
A good source of info for both the machine knitter and hand knitter.
Need to be able to master simple arithmetic to use it.

5.0 out of 5 stars I always was looking for a book like this. Will be very useful for my knitting ..., 26 Dec. 2014
I always was looking for a book like this. Will be very useful for my knitting because although I am an experienced knitter I know nothing about the structure of a pullover. I used it for neck shaping and was fantastic

5.0 out of 5 stars Challenging but very well written, 18 April 2014
I am not an expert knitter but found this book really inspiring and easy to follow. I would recommend this to anyone who wants to adapt and improve a pattern.