on 26 July 2013
I've previously pondered the subject of this book - thinking that there must be more to it than the more traditional advice we are given about fat loss. If it were as 'simple' as calories-in Vs Calories-out then how come so many struggle with it? This book covers most of the questions I had wondered about and gives answers ... but more importantly for me, it gives the answer as to what to do about it. Something different to 'you are failing because you are too weak willed and not good enough at calorie counting, or doing enough exercise.'

Some of the writing is a little technical, but generally not too bad - so I got through the book in only a few days (unusual for me).

The ultimate test is that having read it - and applying this methodology of what to eat, I have already lost weight. 4 lbs in week one and almost at the end of week 2 .... I'm sure more has come off but am waiting until the week is done to weigh myself. My clothes are looser still .... so happy with the way things are headed.

I've not gone hungry and still managed my twice weekly mountain biking, without any huge energy issue (having cut out carbs).

I am very interested to see if this book gains wider knowledge over time, to then change the usual advice given to those wishing to lose weight, since it appears we have all been told the wrong information for too long,

Gary Taubes also has some useful lectures on-line covering some of this material.

I'm now reading - The art & science of low carbohydrate performance - to see if it gives further refinements of what to eat to allow my mountain biking to further improve - but it seems this way of eating will actually provide athletes with MORE useable energy stores, than the traditional carb-loading option.

So - very happy to have discovered this book and it's recommended plan.
on 21 July 2014
A little heavy going.(No pun intended!). I persevered as it is full of very interesting information . Truly we have been led up the garden path for years by some dieting 'experts' who have told us for years to eat low fat and that pasta, bread etc are ok as long as you do not have loads of butter or rich creamy sauces. I feel that reading this book will be life changing for me.
on 28 June 2011
I would very highly recommend this book to anyone interested in nutrition. I could not put down this truly research/evidence based piece from Gary Taubes. He is such a brilliantly engaging author - not a single dull page in this book! If only public health authorities would take notice of the evidence when devising nutrition policies, instead of financial and political interests.
on 15 January 2011
I have to admit that on first opening my book I was disappointed with the quality. The pages are cut to different sizes and are ragged. For a new book I did expect a better 'finish'.

Once I got over that I got into the 'meat' of the book. Pun intended! Having suffered with diets and binging and continual weight increases each time a low fat diet was finished this is something different.

Over the past 3 years I have dropped 40lbs using a combination of Atkins, SB, leptin etc but I have been doing a lower calorie version. Staying at around 1200 cals a day.

According to this book the lower cal option is not necessary. As long as our carbs are low as in a ketogenic diet then our body will naturally drop the fat as the insulin will not be produced to keep it locked in the fat cells.

The best bit for me was the refuting of the 'you are obese because you eat too much.' He argues that it is the other way round. Because our hormones push so much of our calories into storage the cells that need energy are starving which is why we need to eat more to keep our cells functioning. There is an interesting connection I made there to binging. Binging is the ultimate fix for starving cells. The brain doing all it can to get enough food into the system. So obesity is a disease of malnutrition.

I would recommend any dieter to read this book and finally understand what is happening in their body. I still have difficulty getting around the fix for obesity which is to ingest more fat and oils. Will make a change from the semi starvation of the last 40 years!
on 30 August 2011
This book explains in the most articulate and well researched way why you need to change the way you eat forever. The benefits of doing so will mean you quickly lose more weight than you could have imagined. You will also significantly reduce your risk of being effected by several of the major illnesses impacting modern society (e.g. heart disease).

It is controversial because it contradicts conventional advice, unusual as you never go hungry, compelling as the science and evidence overwhelmingly supports the suggested approach, and totally convincing because you will recognise from your own experience that Gary Taubes has made significant progress in uncovering the secrets to losing weight permanently. Please read it.
on 11 February 2012
If you have logical brain, you like to know how things work, in order to remember something you need to understand everything about it, then please read this book. It's good research and processing of said research, put in lay terms so that we can all benefit.
I wish I knew this 13 years ago. I would have had a much happier low stress life. But it's never too late. I'm doing brilliantly with this knowledge in mind. We should be taught this in school, ad nauseum!

Please read this. For your own good :)

It's a reprint of the 2010 version with the red cover, so those reviews are valid too.
on 22 August 2012
What is great about this book is that it goes through the science and explains why. It goes and looks at loads of different studies done and backs up the arguments.

This helped me change my way of thinking and thus life style. Results went from a 38 waist to a 32 waist.

Lots of people told me what I was doing was dangerous and bad for me .... I suggested they read the book ..... if I had not read the book I may have listened to them and gone back to my old life style.

I have not only lost a load of fat but I feel great which also a massive benefit.

One problem is I have to keep buying new clothes as every 3-4 weeks the pair of jeans or t-shirt i bought were too big so started buying clothes that were too small for me. This also helped as a motivation.

Very happy I look so different and when I show people the pictures of what I used to look like they can't believe it is me.

Oh .... and to prove a point to myself I did not increase my exercise over the last 6 months just changed my eating habits.

Thanks Garry I am back to what I was when I was 18 :)
on 23 June 2013
Heavy reading really and a little bit dry, but contains all the info you need to understand why low carbing is the way to go, and that eating fat is good for us. Heavy on the science but then this topic needs to be, it's two sides of the same coin. We have to get our heads round WHY we as a society can't keep on eating and manufacturing the rubbish we keep stuffing in our mouths. I've been LCHF for over 10 years now, but I do wish all these books would acknowledge even though you are freed from hunger, you still need willpower not to put the chocolate bars and tiramasu in your mouth. Temptation is everywhere and it IS HARD. Try paying for petrol at the garage and the person in front of you pops a Snickers bar onto the bill too and you really really want one too - wobbily moments everywhere. There is a measure of sacrifice attached to this lifestyle choice, even if you know all the benefits of what you are doing, the seduction of sweetness is tempting us all around, and I do find that most of these books don't address that problem!! Here's the science, now get on with it.....
on 15 June 2012
Nearly all my adult life, I've bordered on overweight, with 25% body fat. I've exercised very hard for sustained periods of time, I've done calorie controlled diets, I've eaten wholegrains and wholemeal, I've spent a decade as a vegetarian, and I've followed the orthodox advice to the letter. I lost some weight (24lb at one time) then regained most of it. Ultimately, I settled for `this is how it is - I'm just built to be fat, and I'm going to have to work hard to just stop myself getting obese.'
Then, I went low carb, on a `primal living' regime. Result - the spare tyre melted away, my body fat is an acceptable 8 - 12%, I have more energy at 50 than at any time in the past 20 years, and I look good. (In fact, I look wonderful!)
This book explains WHY the `primal living' regime works.
But, I suggest you don't just take my word for it - try it; it works for me, whereas NOTHING ELSE HAS.
on 1 March 2011
This is the first review I have written, but this book makes so much sense that I had to urge others to get it.

I do not go on diets, my wieght is under control by avoiding carbohydrate and eating lots of full fat grass fed dairy and meat. But because it goes against the recommended way of eating I read as many books as I can on diet to try and find out if its healthy. I have just read another batch, and this one stands out from all the rest. I read it in one sitting. I am now not going to buy any more books on the subject--my questions have been answered.

For a long time I have beleived that it is the recent increase in carbohydrates, sugars and processed fats that cause many people to get fat, I know when i forget and start to eat them even in small quantities I put on weight over time. But I coud not understand why my husband can eat so much bread and potatoes and not put on weight (he does not excercise) i also used to ask myself, if modern food is so bad for us, why is not everybody fat. Just look at a queue in macdonalds, they are not all overweight, and they would have to be on a treadmill all day to work off the calories in a big mac meal. And why are so many babies overweight before they are weaned--babies have been formula or breast fed for ages, but the fat baby is a modern thing.

This book explains it all. I had to read some of the scientific sections a couple of times just to make sure I got it right. It has some facinating stories with pictures of fat and thin people on different regimes, either through choice, or just because they were poor. And it has a very plausible argument of why some people put on weight and some do not, and what those people should do about it.

If you can read this with an open mind it will all fall into place.